Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Ricoh Aficio MP C3002 Solid Areas Mottled

Hi Y'all,

I have a Ricoh Aficio MP C3002 that prints most small coverage documents fine but when I try to print anything with large coverage or solid colors they appear uneven or mottled. This happens when printing all file types. This even shows up when I do a test print from service mode. All my toner is official Ricoh toner.

Here's what I've tried:
    Tried switching paper types. (Laser copy paper, thicker cardstock, glossy etc.)
    Tried printing literally with every paper setting.

Here's what I've replaced:
    All 4 Image drums
    Image transfer belt
    All 4 Primary Charge Rollers
    All 4 Secondary Charge Rollers
    Replaced the black developer with Genuine Ricoh developer (did not change the mottling)
    Replaced the fuser pressure roller and fixing film sleeve.
    Hell, I even switched out all 4 toner cartridges with Genuine Ricoh toner

The toner does not flake or rub off.

I understand this machine isn't a high production machine but I know it can do better this. This is my first post so please let me know if I am missing any info. I greatly appreciate all your input.

Thanks guys,
    Pressing Prints

MPC3002 Scan Smaller.pdf
    Attached Files Attached Files

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh Aficio MP C3002 Solid Areas Mottled

There is one thing that I do not see in the list is the PTR. Also, when you replaced the ITB, did you replace just the belt? If so did you clean the rollers on the inside.

Male sure that everything is clean including the laser shield glasses and the ID sensor assembly. Once everything is clean, the setting in the attached might help. The slightly reduce the toner levels in the development unit and increase the amount of toner transferred from the drums to the ITB and ultimately to the paper. The end result is usually more consistent quality, less toner scattering, reduced toner consumption and less waste toner. It is for models up to and including the 02s.

Service Program (SP) Settings.pdf

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PressingPrintz View Post
    Hi Y'all,

I have a Ricoh Aficio MP C3002 that prints most small coverage documents fine but when I try to print anything with large coverage or solid colors they appear uneven or mottled. This happens when printing all file types. This even shows up when I do a test print from service mode. All my toner is official Ricoh toner.

Here's what I've tried:
    Tried switching paper types. (Laser copy paper, thicker cardstock, glossy etc.)
    Tried printing literally with every paper setting.

Here's what I've replaced:
    All 4 Image drums
    Image transfer belt
    All 4 Primary Charge Rollers
    All 4 Secondary Charge Rollers
    Replaced the black developer with Genuine Ricoh developer (did not change the mottling)
    Replaced the fuser pressure roller and fixing film sleeve.
    Hell, I even switched out all 4 toner cartridges with Genuine Ricoh toner

The toner does not flake or rub off.

I understand this machine isn't a high production machine but I know it can do better this. This is my first post so please let me know if I am missing any info. I greatly appreciate all your input.

Thanks guys,
    Pressing Prints

MPC3002 Scan Smaller.pdf
    From your test print sample the quality doesn't look too made for a machine of this age.

Were the PCU drums you replaced genuine Ricoh ? as genuine from Ricoh come with the primary charge roller so you don't need to replace them separately.

Sounds like you have replaced every part except the PTR ?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

If he swapped single drums / charge rollers it can't be genuine stuff so there's a lot of headroom for possible improvement left.
    I'm also not shure f the sleeve is genuine since it should be a "sleeve assy".

It might help to clean the laser and run some force toner cycle, check the quality and then re-initialize.
    Even if the image get's better it's possible that toner spilling might occure over time.

Another thing worthy checking is if the transfer roller holer is connected properly to ground.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Wow! I did not expect this much help and input this fast!

I forgot to mention that my knowledge and skills are limited to what I have taught myself from what I could find online (mostly YouTube haha). I do not have any formal training. So, I apologize if these are obvious questions ahead of time...

When I first was given this machine it had all genuine Ricoh Image Drums and developer units and it was mottling from the start. And when I replaced the ITB, I only replaced the belt and I cleaned the rollers at the time.

My greenpea questions:
    -What is/does "PTR" stand for?
    -How do you clean the laser shield/glass? I believe I've read a few different forms saying to never do this unless you have some sort of "clean room" environment?
    -How do you clean the ID sensors?
    -Is there a procedure to check the transfer roller holder

Thanks again,

Retired 10,000+ Posts

PTR = Paper Transfer Roller

ID sensors should be cleaned with a soft lint free cotton cloth slightly moistened with water only.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

[QUOTE=slimslob;2247150]PTR = Paper Transfer Roller

Try new Transfer Roller and looks like a nick in the cyan drum but for an old machine that test page looks pretty dang good.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi guys! So nephew knocked my fuser off the table and it looks like the fuser lamp has shattered. Unfortunately it’s next to impossible to find a fuser under $1000 right now… So I am unable to even try to fix the mottling issue. Any suggestions where I could find a decent priced fuser?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk