Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts UNICORNico's Avatar

DF scanning failed - MP 301

Dear fellow technicians.

We have a strange incident on the device 'MP 301'.

In which during the use of the original feeder (DF), when scanning the 2nd side of the folio, a line is generated in the direction of scanning, but never on the 1st side. We have carried out tests with the part of the explorer or exposure glass and when the optical cart moves, either the copy or the scan does NOT generate any scratches.

202211101710.pdf - Google Drive

The sample that we provide, the page does not have text on the 1st side, but on the 2nd to show the detail. We already confirmed that the optics have been checked and I have been carefully checked, trying to thoroughly check each mirror and despite the cleaning we found nothing.

Obviously this failure is striking, because the folio goes through the same part 2 times during the use of the DF, and we do not see sense in this defect.
    "ALL WILL BE WELL" The battle cry that most inspires me to follow, from the DC's Comic character that I admire the most. And I feel satisfied with being better every day, and with using Gnu-Linux as my usual Operating System.Apologies for my English, it's not my mother tongue and I'm helping the translator.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: DF scanning failed - MP 301

Blank Page Detect might be turned on. Try scanning something with printing on both sides.

Clean the slit glass with an alcohol prep.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

That's really odd - so it's only happen on duplex/2nd side in DF mode despite that this machine doesn't have a dual scanner?

I'd still try the usual stuff, like cleaning the optics and especially the CCD element with compressed air (well, szart with compressed air and then clean the mirrors/glasses^^).
    It's also possible that the scanner frame or DF is bent so you can run another test wile lifting the front/left corner of the scanner housing a little.
    Taking a look at all scanner and DF related SP values might also make sense or compare the non default page with a working machine.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Definitely looks like optics. I'd definitely try what the other techs said

Also if that doesn't work try to swap that scanner assembly

Also as a VERY LAST RESORT AND AT YOUR OWN RISK and I do MEAN that you WILL BE TAKING A VERY BIG RISK, you can try spraying the CCD and optics with Mass airflow sensor cleaner. It might help but you will be taking a big chance because it might also not work or end up damaging the scanner unit and CCD

All the best friend

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

No reason to use anything other than isopropyl alcohol or water. Look down into the optics with a flashlight, you should be able to see the problem.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    No reason to use anything other than isopropyl alcohol or water. Look down into the optics with a flashlight, you should be able to see the problem.
    I like alcohol prep pads because a zip closure bag of them do not weigh as much as an 8oz bottle of alcohol and take up less space in the tool case. I have found that water does not always adhesive residue and ink from some fluid ink pens. For mirrors and lamp reflectors I like to use Chicopee Stretch and Dust cloths.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I like alcohol prep pads because a zip closure bag of them do not weigh as much as an 8oz bottle of alcohol and take up less space in the tool case. I have found that water does not always adhesive residue and ink from some fluid ink pens. For mirrors and lamp reflectors I like to use Chicopee Stretch and Dust cloths.
    Doesn't the chicopee cloths contain some sort of wax (the orange ones)? Many years ago I tried to clean my glasses with these orange cloth and learned that lesson LOL
    We mostly use window cleaner or isopropanol.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts UNICORNico's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    That's really odd - so it's only happen on duplex/2nd side in DF mode despite that this machine doesn't have a dual scanner?

I'd still try the usual stuff, like cleaning the optics and especially the CCD element with compressed air (well, szart with compressed air and then clean the mirrors/glasses^^).
    It's also possible that the scanner frame or DF is bent so you can run another test wile lifting the front/left corner of the scanner housing a little.
    Taking a look at all scanner and DF related SP values might also make sense or compare the non default page with a working machine.
    Something similar has been indicated to us from Ricoh Ricess.

Although we are surprised that they tell us that the corner that is in the air, we pull it up (they recommended that we try it for the 2nd time), in case that part of the explorer was deformed.
    We recently went through the client to test the latter (that the browser is deformed), but no change was detected in this failure.

On a next visit we will test the topic of scanner configuration. But there must be something in the optics because in our view the defect seems to us to appreciate a slight distortion in the image where it scratches.
    "ALL WILL BE WELL" The battle cry that most inspires me to follow, from the DC's Comic character that I admire the most. And I feel satisfied with being better every day, and with using Gnu-Linux as my usual Operating System.Apologies for my English, it's not my mother tongue and I'm helping the translator.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    Doesn't the chicopee cloths contain some sort of wax (the orange ones)? Many years ago I tried to clean my glasses with these orange cloth and learned that lesson LOL
    We mostly use window cleaner or isopropanol.
    what i would do was drag one across the mirrors. The wax would attract any dust or toner. The wax does not transfer to a surface unless you press it hard against the surface and doing that with first surface mirrors usually results in scratching the reflective surface.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UNICORNico View Post
    Dear fellow technicians.

We have a strange incident on the device 'MP 301'.

In which during the use of the original feeder (DF), when scanning the 2nd side of the folio, a line is generated in the direction of scanning, but never on the 1st side. We have carried out tests with the part of the explorer or exposure glass and when the optical cart moves, either the copy or the scan does NOT generate any scratches.

202211101710.pdf - Google Drive

The sample that we provide, the page does not have text on the 1st side, but on the 2nd to show the detail. We already confirmed that the optics have been checked and I have been carefully checked, trying to thoroughly check each mirror and despite the cleaning we found nothing.

Obviously this failure is striking, because the folio goes through the same part 2 times during the use of the DF, and we do not see sense in this defect.
    you see a strong distortion in the image by enlarging it, two things come to mind, which have happened to me.
    1) the internal screws of the hinge of the rdf are starting to unscrew, try to press the rdf with your hand on it to see if anything changes
    2) the document dragging reverse mechanism of the rdf, does not work well, I suggest you remove the upper plastic cover of the rdf, and observe/check very carefully the reverse mechanism which is at the front (direction of te) while he is working, to see what happens, I remember that there was something that once messed me up

one thing, but the dark line, its always in the exact same spot? or does it move?
    "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)