Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Ricoh MICR Machine/Toner

Hey all, forgive my ignorance.

I have a customer wanting a MICR printer for checks.

Are there specific MICR printers, or is it just any printer that they make MICR toner for?

Could I use a normal Ricoh SP 5210SF or DN and just buy MICR toner cartridges for it?

Thanks

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh MICR Machine/Toner

Re: Ricoh MICR Machine/Toner

I doubt you'd find MICR cartridges for that model -or any Ricoh that I'm aware of, but yes, it is just any printer that you can get MICR cartridges.

I don't sell many at all, but I have not usually had trouble sourcing them for many HP models in the past. I typically supply (good) compatibles

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MICR Machine/Toner

MICR Laser Printers Vs. Standard Laser Printers It is technically possible to print checks using a standard laser printer with an MICR toner cartridge, just like it’s technically possible to print checks with non-MICR toner. But, that doesn’t mean you should do either one! In fact, if you want to meet the ANSI standards, you are required to use MICR toner in a MICR printer when printing checks.

MICR laser printer manufacturers guarantee the MICR line will be readable or usable; manufacturers of standard laser printers cannot.

MICR printers also protect against fraud through many security features like paper tray or printer locks that prevent unauthorized users from printing checks, as well as a special security cartridge that can be removed and stored in a secure area after use, ensuring that authorized signatures, company logos and font information are all protected. When a company uses MICR technology, they are extending this added layer of security to their vendors and customers. If a company fails to use this technology, they become vulnerable to any security breaches from this decision and may be held responsible for fraudulent fall-out and expenses.
    What’s the Difference Between MICR Ink and MICR Toner? | Checksforless.com&reg

Let me Emphasize, to be 100% compliant with the ANSI standards for business checks you need to not only use MICR toner but you also need to use a MICR compliant printer.

Ricoh does sell MICR compatible printers but most of them are either ink jet, wide format, high speed duplicators or Production models. Ricoh USA

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    Hey all, forgive my ignorance.

I have a customer wanting a MICR printer for checks.

Are there specific MICR printers, or is it just any printer that they make MICR toner for?

Could I use a normal Ricoh SP 5210SF or DN and just buy MICR toner cartridges for it?

Thanks
    Our company has found supplying HP printers to customers wanting to print checks with MICR cartridges is the way to go. If you need to use Ricoh printers, you might look into the SP4510 or SP3600.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MICR Machine/Toner

Most of the MICR printers that I've walked past over the years (only had to work on a few) were either Lexmark or HP builds, that had been rebadged and had different firmware and toner cartridges. None of these machines had the original badge.

STI & Troy are the badges that I recall. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh MICR Machine/Toner

Rosetta converts some Ricoh printers for MICR toner.