Angry RICOH MP402 SPF Jamming

I have replaced the paper guide and the sheet exit plate. I was able to get into diagnostics mode and lift the spf while the motors were running, feed the paper through the entrance and the exit, and have it not jam. It seems to be the slick glass that is causing the jam but when I look at it there isn't any indication that of anything that would cause it to jam. I have also applied pressure to the top of the spf while copying and the paper was able to make it all the way through but will dog ear on the left corner when it exits the spf. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    RICOH MP402 SPF Jamming

Re: RICOH MP402 SPF Jamming

Quote Originally Posted by BearTheRiverChief View Post
    I have replaced the paper guide and the sheet exit plate. I was able to get into diagnostics mode and lift the spf while the motors were running, feed the paper through the entrance and the exit, and have it not jam. It seems to be the slick glass that is causing the jam but when I look at it there isn't any indication that of anything that would cause it to jam. I have also applied pressure to the top of the spf while copying and the paper was able to make it all the way through but will dog ear on the left corner when it exits the spf. Any suggestions on where to go from here?
    You can start by telling us what the jam code is. Not the letter which is just to tell the operator approximately where to look but the service code. It should be in the form of either J or DJ followed by a two digit or three digit number. It tells the technician which sensor generated the jam and whether it is a lead edge or trail edge jam.

If by the "slick glass" you mean the slit glass, it might be installed incorrectly.

Since pressing down on the feeder, the SPDF is not installed correctly, slightly twisted or the scanner itself is warped. These will cause the bottom guide for the exit from the slit glass to be slightly too high and the lead edge of the paper is hitting it. The dog ear when the paper does go through is another indication of this is the dog ear is bent downward.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    RICOH MP402 SPF Jamming

This:
    MP402 folding originals in adf

See the post from anothertech ​who has posted the TSB
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 01-27-2023 at 09:57 PM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    This:
    MP402 folding originals in adf

See the post from anothertech ​who has posted the TSB

This seems like the most likely cause. And also as Slimslob suggested. Most of the time the Adf is replaced because it breaks at the hinges, but if you can modify the ADF and get it to work then go for it.

Generally I run some tests first, things like
    1) checking the alignment of the ADF and
    2) folding up bits of paper and placing them between the ADF and the main frame of the machine or
    3) folding pieces of paper and placing them at the point which the paper re-enters the ADF for exit after being scanned at the glass slit.

Ive done those general tests on 1 or 2 2852 and 3352 machines which had a similar jamming at the ADF slit pass through and dog ear folding of the paper. That resolved the issue and helped me find the cause of the problem.

In any case I've found spending some time with the machine and carefully running some tests can really help shed some light on the problem.

All the best friend

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    RICOH MP402 SPF Jamming

Check for broken hinge. I had the same thing.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copyaction View Post
    Check for broken hinge. I had the same thing.
    Yes at the beginning it's just a few cracks but the DF isn't sitting properly enough.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    In Germany there is kit for repairing the bottom plate of the DF. PNīs 1x D6069006 and 2x D6069007. The you need 2 screws M3 x 25.
    The bulletin is RD296049
    Greetings...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    RICOH MP402 SPF Jamming

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldaman View Post
    Hi there!
    In Germany there is kit for repairing the bottom plate of the DF. PNīs 1x D6069006 and 2x D6069007. The you need 2 screws M3 x 25.
    The bulletin is RD296049
    Greetings...
    The part numbers in the US are 1x D2989006 and 2x D2989007

or do the following

* Drill out existing screw holes (slowly) with a 3/16' hole (bit).
    * Find a good hardware ( Ace) for the following: 2 ea. 6/32 x 1/2" screw and 2 ea. 6/32 Brad
    ** See attached photos.

I used a good glue to insert and hold the Brads from the bottom side, and the screws thread right in. Perfect repair !!

Attached Thumbnails

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    The part numbers in the US are 1x D2989006 and 2x D2989007

or do the following

* Drill out existing screw holes (slowly) with a 3/16' hole (bit).
    * Find a good hardware ( Ace) for the following: 2 ea. 6/32 x 1/2" screw and 2 ea. 6/32 Brad
    ** See attached photos.

I used a good glue to insert and hold the Brads from the bottom side, and the screws thread right in. Perfect repair !!

Attached Thumbnails

very good idea!...those are usually used in professional speakers to screw the big and heavy woofers to ensure that the wood does not tear, I used them years ago for the subwoofer that I had built for my the car, they can be found at the hardware store, or in shops of items/components to build speaker box...the only difference its the those have three teeth that sink into the material to prevent them from rotating together with the screw during tightening or unscrewing
    "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luca72 View Post
    very good idea!...those are usually used in professional speakers to screw the big and heavy woofers to ensure that the wood does not tear, I used them years ago for the subwoofer that I had built for my the car, they can be found at the hardware store, or in shops of items/components to build speaker box...the only difference its the those have three teeth that sink into the material to prevent them from rotating together with the screw during tightening or unscrewing
    Customer hears a distant "Boom..Boom..Boom" and knows the tech will arrive soon LOL