IM C2500 - scan to folder = 0kb - its not the MFP

posted here as it was on a Ricoh mfp

Just a heads up

Customer complaining that all scan to folder files to the server are 0kb size and also failing to log onto the mfp interface.

After updating all firmware still same issue.

Created a scan to folder directly onto my laptop worked fine and logging onto the mfp fine.

Total of 2 hours on site doing everything to prove it was not the mfp.

After a toe to toe chat with the I.T guy, I was adamant that the fault was his problem as it’s a I.T issue, and he told the customer it was the mfp.

I told him to check the 5 port hub under the desk which he flippantly denied that was the case.

Next day my office had a quick message to say, it was the 5 port hub that was causing the issue (thank for the apology)

info just in case anybody else has this issue

Dave w

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: IM C2500 - scan to folder = 0kb - its not the MFP

Check ownership and access rights for the folder on the server. The best way to setup scan to a server is for each user to have their own folder to which they are the owner.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for the Advice/ tip.
    Maybe Steele, from this thread would be interested, as it sounds like he had the exact same issue about a week ago:
    MP C3003 WIM and SMB issues. Tried everything.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Check ownership and access rights for the folder on the server. The best way to setup scan to a server is for each user to have their own folder to which they are the owner.
    Hi Slimslob

Yes they had their own folders on the server, all folders had scans 0KB file sizes.
    they all had same account used for scanning - it was changed and still same.

All started going wrong halfway through the day on a weds so cannot blame updates.

Was a long proccess to prove it was not the MFP. the independant I.T guy was very bullish! and was raising his voice alot, even the customer told him to calm down! ( I.T guy was a friend of the customer).

I was please to know I was right and he was not!

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Thanks for the Advice/ tip.
    Maybe Steele, from this thread would be interested, as it sounds like he had the exact same issue about a week ago:
    MP C3003 WIM and SMB issues. Tried everything.

Yes looks like it.

Best to connect a laptop directly onto the MFP and try the WIM and Scan to folder directly onto the laptop. my hunch is it will work.
    Goodluck Steele

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Yes looks like it.

Best to connect a laptop directly onto the MFP and try the WIM and Scan to folder directly onto the laptop. my hunch is it will work.
    Goodluck Steele
    Thanks again, but maybe you should advise him in that thread, so he gets the notification

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Just a heads up

Customer complaining that all scan to folder files to the server are 0kb size and also failing to log onto the mfp interface.

Created a scan to folder directly onto my laptop worked fine and logging onto the mfp fine.

After a toe to toe chat with the I.T guy, I was adamant that the fault was his problem as it’s a I.T issue, and he told the customer it was the mfp.

I told him to check the 5 port hub under the desk which he flippantly denied that was the case.

Next day my office had a quick message to say, it was the 5 port hub that was causing the issue (thank for the apology)

Dave w
    I had a call years ago on a C2550 that would not print. When I got there I cycled power and it printed out everything that was in the queue. I tried everything to no avail. They had another c2550 in another part of the building and swapped them. THe problem stayed with the location not the C2550. Turned out to be a 5 year old 32 port switch.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Thanks again, but maybe you should advise him in that thread, so he gets the notification
    Have done

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Just a heads up

Dave w
    Anyone still using hubs (instead of switches) in this day and age deserves to have all their IT certs revoked.

Not to mention his poor customer relationship skills…
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Since switching jobs, I haven't had a toe to toe with IT for a long time. I'm a wrench only at this job. I still remember one customer that would have random scans fail. I could never re-create the fail. I did about everything to that machine because the customer was bitching and their IT was riding me like seabiscuit. Finally I ran a continuous ping for about 10 minutes. During the 10 minutes I had about 5-10 dropped packets. I showed that to the IT and mgmt there and told them it is not mfp. Short of story is they replaced switch and no more issue. Imagine that!!

I also recently had a friend who just upgraded modem/router from ISP in his home. Now can't scan, printing is iffy, etc. He spent 1.5 hours on phone with ISP helpdesk. They said it is his mfp and/or computer. First thing I thought of was wsd port and I was right. Turned off wsd and still iffy. His mfp and laptop are wireless. I was losing packets while pinging, sometimes a ping would result in can't find host, etc. I finally told him that the wireless is flaky. Pinging from one wireless laptop to another was same result. Finally set up a wired connection from mfp and laptop to modem/router and it works perfectly. Friend is leaving as is, doesn't want to fight ISP anymore.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex