Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC 672

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

SC 672

Hello to all gurus out there,

I noticed a number of SC672-XX calls on the field. Ricoh has a procedure on the service manual how to diagnose it but everything points out to the controller.
    Is there a way to check which component on the controller board becomes faulty? I would like to know if we can take those faulty boards and replace those faulty chips would cost us less rather that requesting for a bulk of stocks.

TIA
    Aye! Cut the crap

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: SC 672

In the service manual there are post LED codes that tell you what went wrong with the controller. That can give a PCB repairer of what to replace. Bear in mind, a good chunk of SC672 codes can also be caused by the HDD.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keithxxiii View Post
    Hello to all gurus out there,

I noticed a number of SC672-XX calls on the field. Ricoh has a procedure on the service manual how to diagnose it but everything points out to the controller.
    Is there a way to check which component on the controller board becomes faulty? I would like to know if we can take those faulty boards and replace those faulty chips would cost us less rather that requesting for a bulk of stocks.

TIA
    FYI... a bit of a side note concerning this code...

This is from Ricoh's Product Description of the NEW IM CXX10 series of MFPs.

SC672 Isolation Improvement

New troubleshooting flowchart for SC672.

Transport IOB functions are now merged onto BICU.

FFC between BICU and Engine IOB changed to normal harness.

DIMM integrated into Controller.

If enabled, Auto reboot now occurs for all errors, not just for software errors.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post
    FYI... a bit of a side note concerning this code...

This is from Ricoh's Product Description of the NEW IM CXX10 series of MFPs.

SC672 Isolation Improvement

New troubleshooting flowchart for SC672.

Transport IOB functions are now merged onto BICU.

FFC between BICU and Engine IOB changed to normal harness.

DIMM integrated into Controller.

If enabled, Auto reboot now occurs for all errors, not just for software errors.
    BTW, upon further review...

The "Improved Troubleshooting" procedure appears to be no more than SC672 indicates a communication failure between the op panel and the controller PCB so the cause of this is either a bad SOP control board, the USB cable or the main control board. (DUH!)

On the older 50/51 series, 672 codes were almost always caused by the IPU. Nowadays, most 672 codes I see, are the controller.

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

Ricoh had a good profit margin on those boards.

I had 1 IMC5500, 2 MPC5504, a couple of 3004s in the last 2 months all of them worked fine when controller was replaced.

I did all the POST Codes diagnostics, CMOS and other stuff as instructed in the flowchart but all of those machines got fixed upon replacement of CTL.
    Aye! Cut the crap

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keithxxiii View Post
    Ricoh had a good profit margin on those boards.

I had 1 IMC5500, 2 MPC5504, a couple of 3004s in the last 2 months all of them worked fine when controller was replaced.

I did all the POST Codes diagnostics, CMOS and other stuff as instructed in the flowchart but all of those machines got fixed upon replacement of CTL.

I discovered a new thing, I have already solved three times with both controller and IPU, after replacing the customer board, and tried it on a machine in the laboratory, the error actually reappeared, I disassembled the board and washed with alcohol and a brush, and then I blew it well, and the card started working again, I think that given the short time needed for this operation, and the high cost of the card, it's worth a try.
    "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luca72 View Post
    I discovered a new thing, I have already solved three times with both controller and IPU, after replacing the customer board, and tried it on a machine in the laboratory, the error actually reappeared, I disassembled the board and washed with alcohol and a brush, and then I blew it well, and the card started working again, I think that given the short time needed for this operation, and the high cost of the card, it's worth a try.
    That's interesting, looking forward to the next case now to check that out

Did you scrub it with a brush?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    That's interesting, looking forward to the next case now to check that out

Did you scrub it with a brush?
    yes, very well, in both side, with lot alcool and paint-brush...try
    "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    SC 672

Quote Originally Posted by luca72 View Post
    yes, very well, in both side, with lot alcohol and paint-brush...try
    I will try this next time too, got nothing to loose if I'm going to replace it anyways.