Ricoh aficio mpc2500 compatible fuser unit

Hi everyone, I’ve picked up a used Ricoh aficio mpc2500 copier. I’ve replaced thermistors on my fuser (sc553) and the error keeps coming back after resets. The fuser heat transfer belt (may be wrong there) is crinkled and makes it sound odd noise when rotating. If I can keep the error from coming back the. It prints fine. Been reading over these forums and I believe it’s best to replace the whole fuser. Problem is that these things are expensive! $600 off eBay.
    Is there a compatible fuser (110volt) that I can purchase and use? Already tried looking up comparable Savin models to see if it’s just Ricoh brand being so expensively priced. AliExpress has one used but little worried to take a gamble on that.
    unit has over 200k pages printed, was pulled from a working rental office and guessing the high fuser cost got them to sell it cheap and replace the whole printer.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh aficio mpc2500 compatible fuser unit

SC 553 not caused by a bad thermistor is a problem with board (PSU, BICU, IOB) or as bad connection between the thermistors and the IOB.

If you are going to waste, I mean spend, money on parts for a machine that old, first launched 6/09/2006, I would recommend trying to find a complete parts machine.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    SC 553 not caused by a bad thermistor is a problem with board (PSU, BICU, IOB) or as bad connection between the thermistors and the IOB.

If you are going to waste, I mean spend, money on parts for a machine that old, first launched 6/09/2006, I would recommend trying to find a complete parts machine.

• Code: 553
    • Description:Pressure roller fusing lamp overheat (software error)
      The detected pressure roller temperature stays at 230°C or more for 1 second.
    • Causes:Defective PSU. Defective IOB. Defective BICU
    • Remedy:1. Replace the pressure roller thermistor. 2. Replace the PSU. 3. Replace the IOB. 4. Replace the BICU.

Only option is to rebuild the fuser / replace the belt as you say you can hear it is failing, however not really worth it on this old model.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

553 on the older Athena / Diana series machines is normally "the fuser is knackered, bin it".
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Thumbs up Re: Ricoh aficio mpc2500 compatible fuser unit

Hi everyone,
    Thanks for taking the time to assist. Appreciated greatly!

I ended up purchasing a slightly used complete 120 volt fuser unit via AliExpress (china) and installed it last night. boom issue fully resolved. Prior I did get myself a copy of the service manuals and investigate the IOB / power connections / 2 cooling fans on the fuser side. Did not find anything damaged or loose/unplugged. No burn spots which was good just dusty from being used over the years.

Why spend money on this thing? I'm not known for being smart heck I've been blessed to own a few old BMWs in my youth. Its a hobby and i was able to pick it up off Facebook marketplace for $60. Came with 4 new oem toner but the existing toner is just low. I will not put anymore money into this thing other then cheap toner, it feels like a money pit/BMW at this point lol
    but the wife allowed me to get it so its my new toy.