Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Error display full screen.

On Ricoh based copiers is it possible to force an error like toner empty or paper tray emptying a jam to display full screen as a pose to just turning on the red Check Status light?
    where I am working the users just don’t see the red light and keep releasing print jobs.
    if the error was front and centre it would avoid this.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Error display full screen.

Not that I am aware of, but if you are wiling to pay for it you can get the software engineers to write a custom firmware for you. Another idea if you have scan to email working is to go into WIM and set up email alerts to notify the individual(s) responsible for taking care of those problems. That should reduce the length of time that the machine is down.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

like slim said, not that i am aware of either. usually what i do is each time i have to go to the customer for something like that. i remind them 2 or 3 times during that visit. hey that red light is there for a reason. i usually mention it when i arrive and again before i leave. keep bugging them about it.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thanks but there are way to many users to do that there are literally thousands.
    its been a pretty serious design flaw for many many years.
    All the other brand i have worked on when something goes wrong or something runs out you certainly know about it.
    Because the users are not aware of the significance of the red light, the users continue to release jobs that just get queued and you can’t cancel it and they just walk away from say a jammed machine. Once the jam is cleared the copier starts printing sometimes it private information. Information like passport applications enough info their identities could very easily be stolen. Or private medical information. It’s pretty serious.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts CopyBats's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drwevil View Post
    On Ricoh based copiers is it possible to force an error like toner empty or paper tray emptying a jam to display full screen as a pose to just turning on the red Check Status light?
    where I am working the users just don’t see the red light and keep releasing print jobs.
    if the error was front and centre it would avoid this.

This is why I always make function priority Copier Classic or Printer classic. Classic screens show the error on the main screen.
    If it works, don't touch it.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

If there are truly thousands of users, that implies that there are hundreds of machines.

Are they all Ricoh?

If so, a customer would be a prime candidate for Ricoh Streamline.

The benefits would be too numerous to mention, but would cover all the symptoms you describe, as well as many more.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    If there are truly thousands of users, that implies that there are hundreds of machines.

Are they all Ricoh?

If so, a customer would be a prime candidate for Ricoh Streamline.

The benefits would be too numerous to mention, but would cover all the symptoms you describe, as well as many more.

They are all Ricoh yes.
    Streamline NX v3 looks like a very good thing tho.
    Unfortunately that decision isn’t mine.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

any time i see a red light i think something is going on. it works amazing in traffic. worst case scenario. type out a bit of info. laminate it and post it above the copier. if i send a print job to the machine, or if i am making copies. if it doesn't give me the end product. i use my head, read the screen, and figure out why it's not working. yeah i know some people are to lazy, or it's not their job. but it's not like you are asking them to reinvent the wheel. some people you could have a flashing neon sign and they still wouldn't pay attention. i know whenever i install a new copier. i get as many people together as possible. and i go over a tutorial that last for at least 20 minutes. i teach them overall how to use the machine. plus what to do when the red light appears. how to change toners, how to remove jams. how to also do a basic cleaning. get with the manager/managers if need be. get them trained and have them train the others. or maybe even send out a company email. will everyone learn from it? probably not. but hopefully a handful of people pick up on it.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drwevil View Post
    They are all Ricoh yes.
    Streamline NX v3 looks like a very good thing tho.
    Unfortunately that decision isn’t mine.
    Then someone seriously needs to be sold on the value that SLNX can bring.

For instance, one security breach can cost many times what SLNX would cost, not to mention all the other capabilities it would bring.

It’s not fair for management to just dump all the responsibilities on you.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins