Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MP C305SPF with problems (unsurprisingly) mostly white voids/stripes

Hello, I'll preface this post by saying that I'm not a copy machine tech. So I recently acquired a lower count c305, when I got it, most of the toners bottles were used up. I bought a set of genuine toners and did a force supply until the colors came back. The machine was still plauged with white voids.
    I cleaned all 4 laser glass, updated firmware, printed probably 3-500 duplex prints, manually manipulated the mag rollers back and forth a few dozen times, vacuumed the machine the best I could, removed the pcus and visually inspected the opc drums, I also did a developer initialize after the mag rollers manipulation and force toner. First pic is the counts, 2nd is the initial test pattern, 3rd is after all what I did, and 4th is an overall pic.

I'm leaning towards the opc drums and cleaning blades on the k, c, m units since yellow looks ok.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: MP C305SPF with problems (unsurprisingly) mostly white voids/stripes

Quote Originally Posted by ditchdrift View Post
    Hello, I'll preface this post by saying that I'm not a copy machine tech. So I recently acquired a lower count c305, when I got it, most of the toners bottles were used up. I bought a set of genuine toners and did a force supply until the colors came back. The machine was still plauged with white voids.
    I cleaned all 4 laser glass, updated firmware, printed probably 3-500 duplex prints, manually manipulated the mag rollers back and forth a few dozen times, vacuumed the machine the best I could, removed the pcus and visually inspected the opc drums, I also did a developer initialize after the mag rollers manipulation and force toner. First pic is the counts, 2nd is the initial test pattern, 3rd is after all what I did, and 4th is an overall pic.

I'm leaning towards the opc drums and cleaning blades on the k, c, m units since yellow looks ok.
    You've got 'toner rocks' in the Cyan, magenta, and Black dev units. They can be tough to clear, but you need to separate the Drum from the dev unit and get under the doctor blade with a very thin/ flat tool.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    You've got 'toner rocks' in the Cyan, magenta, and Black dev units. They can be tough to clear, but you need to separate the Drum from the dev unit and get under the doctor blade with a very thin/ flat tool.
    Thanks for your reply. Do you think it's worth taking the drum and blade out and sift the toner?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for your reply. Do you think it's worth taking the drum and blade out and sift the toner?
    It has nothing to do with the drum and blade. The obstructions are in the development unit. I'll leave the 'sifting' option up to you. That's not a road I've traveled.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    It has nothing to do with the drum and blade. The obstructions are in the development unit. I'll leave the 'sifting' option up to you. That's not a road I've traveled.
    Ah, I understand now. Thanks.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

As stated above clean the dev units but to be honest the voids will always return only way to resolve it is to replace the PCDU.

And only use genuine Ricoh toner. (Shake well before fitting)

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

try taking a look at the "PM counter status" printout in the main SP menu, you will have a precise x-ray of what needs to be replaced, on such a small machine it is better to change the entire pcdus than to take bits and pieces....if you have never done it you could risk something going wrong
    "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)

I removed the cyan PCDU to start and found many toner rocks, some I crushed by working the mag tube back and forth, some I was able to knock loose. I did this until there was a consistent layer of developer across the tube. I then put it back together and printed a text page. Looks much better, we'll see how long it lasts. I'll do the magenta and black tomorrow.

First pic shows the voids that match up with the print. 2nd pic shows a large rock. 3rd shows rocks I shook free. 4th shows the improved print.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

I removed the cyan PCDU to start and found many toner rocks, some I crushed by working the mag tube back and forth, some I was able to knock loose. I did this until there was a consistent layer of developer across the tube. I then put it back together and printed a text page. Looks much better, we'll see how long it lasts. I'll do the magenta and black tomorrow.

First pic shows the voids that match up with the print. 2nd pic shows a large rock. 3rd shows rocks I shook free. 4th shows the improved print.

Great job. Saved yourself a few £££
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

They will come back, time for new PCDU’s.