Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ricoh connectivity

I've been struggling to get to the bottom of this, I'd really appreciate some in sight.

Ricoh multifunction devices, losing connectivity on a network after a power cut. I had 2 clients:
    1. Client was using a vodafone supplied modem, model number hg659.
    2. Client was using a large managed switch.

I restored IEEE auth to soft reset the NICs on the Ricoh devices, directly connecting the Ricoh machines to laptops via ethernet works perfectly.
    Tested both network ports, they both worked fine, however when connecting the Ricoh, nothing.

1. On the cheap vodafone modem I removed the Ricoh's mac address that automatically gets added to the modem DHCP list, restarted the modem and then the Ricoh works fine.
    2. The switch had to be replaced. The new switch immediately saw the Ricoh.

What is happening here?

Re: Ricoh connectivity

have you updated the firmware? if you haven't then do update firmware.

faced sc899 and that's what I have done. issue I found was after windows update, sc899 gets emitted because the firmware is not in sync with the pC language.

issue will go away after update

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Ricoh connectivity

turn off IEEE auth and try
    I Used To Live To Fix Things Now i Fix Things To Live

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh connectivity

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul_spbs View Post

faced sc899 and that's what I have done. issue I found was after windows update, sc899 gets emitted because the firmware is not in sync with the pC language.

SC899 is his alias name, not the issue
    I don't care about who your father is, as long as I'm fishing here, you won't walk on water.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SC899 View Post
    I've been struggling to get to the bottom of this, I'd really appreciate some in sight.

Ricoh multifunction devices, losing connectivity on a network after a power cut. I had 2 clients:

I restored IEEE auth to soft reset the NICs on the Ricoh devices, directly connecting the Ricoh machines to laptops via ethernet works perfectly.
    Tested both network ports, they both worked fine, however when connecting the Ricoh, nothing.

1. On the cheap vodafone modem I removed the Ricoh's mac address that automatically gets added to the modem DHCP list, restarted the modem and then the Ricoh works fine.

What is happening here?
    It happens not too rarely that they break down, it happened to me too at home, then following the "rumors" on YouTube, I bought myself a nice Fritzbox 7530, and I'm super happy
    "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh connectivity

What is happening here?
    Nothing unusual to have problems caused by a problem with the electrical grid. Spikes, surges and RF noise can scramble memory on many devices and burn out circuitry on some. I have even seen a problem caused by a floating ground connection on a wall outlet.

What is happening here?

This error usually occurs when a print job has a document ilegal. check if any connected computer has any pending printing. If there is delete and turn off and turn on the printer. if it doesn't work, remove cable Lan and update the firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    turn off IEEE auth and try
    I just restore the IEEE authentication, a trick that soft reset the entire NIC on Ricoh devices. IEEE auth is off.

The issue is that all the hardware is working, both the network connection on the modem/switch and Ricoh NIC, however, is seems like the mac address of the Ricoh device gets lost in translation on the switch/modem side. I was hoping someone knows of a more in-depth network reason for this.

This always turns into a "it's your machine" or "no, it's your modem/switch" fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul_spbs View Post

Thanks for that, I chose the name because it was one of my first errors when I started as a tech, I thought replacing the controller board twice would fix it, lol.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh connectivity

I just restore the IEEE authentication, a trick that soft reset the entire NIC on Ricoh devices. IEEE auth is off.

The issue is that all the hardware is working, both the network connection on the modem/switch and Ricoh NIC, however, is seems like the mac address of the Ricoh device gets lost in translation on the switch/modem side. I was hoping someone knows of a more in-depth network reason for this.

This always turns into a "it's your machine" or "no, it's your modem/switch" fight.
    I had a machine vs switch problem once. It was a MP C2501. The initial call was Not Printing. Copying and scanning were fine. Cycled power and everything in the server queue printed out. After a short time of no new print jobs and it stopped printing again. Replaced everything I could think of and still kept doing. My boss talked to their owner and got them to swap it with another C2501 they had in a different part of the building. Problem stayed with the location not the machine. They replaced a 5 year old 24 port switch and no more problem.