Paper misfeed even though tray is empty

Hi.

New guy here. Our small community has a Ricoh MP 4002.

Since we've had it, we manually select tray 1 whenever we are printing/copying. However we have this annoying feature that if we do not select tray 1, it stops with a paper misfeed code J005 with tray 3 (tray 3 is an internal LCT). I turn the unit off and on again to clear the error, kick myself for not selecting tray 1, and then its fine again.

I know the cover on the bottom right of the unit has taken some damage because it doesn't sit right. However, given there is no paper in the LCT, its very annoying that it still claims a misfeed, and even more annoying that powercycling is the only way to clear it.

I'm hoping someone here might recognize the code and tell me what sensors to look at, and how to fix, bypass, or just prevent the unit from attempting to use the LCT. I'm not a copier tech, just an individual with a bit of OCD and some basic electronic and mechanical skills.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Re: Paper misfeed even though tray is empty

Probably the misfeed is caused by you having emptied the tray, but the paper sensing actuator must be stuck on the "on" position - hence the machine assumes there's paper there, tries to pull it, and then errors.

Have you tried to keep the drawer (slightly) opened?
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I agree with mrwho.
    Your options are leave the tray open or call a tech.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McRocket View Post
    Hi.

Since we've had it, we manually select tray 1 whenever we are printing/copying. However we have this annoying feature that if we do not select tray 1, it stops with a paper misfeed code J005 with tray 3 (tray 3 is an internal LCT). I turn the unit off and on again to clear the error, kick myself for not selecting tray 1, and then its fine again.

I know the cover on the bottom right of the unit has taken some damage because it doesn't sit right. However, given there is no paper in the LCT, its very annoying that it still claims a misfeed, and even more annoying that powercycling is the only way to clear it.

I'm hoping someone here might recognize the code and tell me what sensors to look at, and how to fix, bypass, or just prevent the unit from attempting to use the LCT. I'm not a copier tech, just an individual with a bit of OCD and some basic electronic and mechanical skills.

I advise you to remove auto-select by selecting tray 1, and to store the condition in delfault mode in the "program/store" button, the one with the memory symbol (the diamond), and set drawer 1 in the driver in the Windows printer panel, then call a technician to fix it, to fix the feed station of the lct, you need to lift the machine and move it to have good access to the feed station feeler.
    "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

does the paper settings match in all trays?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Paper tray priority for are probably set for Tray 3 in User Tools - System Settings - Tray Paper Settings. Change it to Tray 1 until you get tray 3 repaired.

Setting Priority to the Tray 3 was a very common dealer practice anytime the LCT was installed.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Hi.

Take the paper out of the LCT, go to the copy screen, does the LCT still show it has paper loaded ?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Take the paper out of the LCT, go to the copy screen, does the LCT still show it has paper loaded ?
    He has already said that there is no paper in the LCT.
    Hi.