Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Technician 250+ Posts Ricoh-ono's Avatar
    Try using a smtp relay program on one of you local PC's. If it goes immediately then the hangup is on your mail server.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. ~Theodore Roosevelt

pjcoxy
    good idea, I have just installed software to do that on my pc, will try it in the morning

I dont see how it can be the exchange server at fault because as soon as the message actually leaves the printer it gets relayed by exchange

does anyone actually know what would make the printer wait before it sends?

Cheers

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    The fact that you can scan to a webmail account without issue indicates that a whole bunch of things are working properly.

Have you tried doing a packet capture to see the conversation between the MFPs and the Exchange Server? Is it getting hung up in a loop?

You can look another machine (that's working properly) to see "what good looks like", as they say.

Also, you could set up an XP Workstation with IIS as a simple mail server to see if you get the same results.

For whatever it may be worth, there is a custom patch available for the Aficio 2045. The following is from the dealer site:

Beta Firmware – The machine does not respond to the Multi line 220 sent by the SMTP server because this model does not support multi-line communications. The first line of the multi-line is disregarded. When the machine receives the next line of the multi-line communication, it is mistaken for a HELO. Therefore the machine sends the HELO command without waiting for the HELO command from the SMTP server. The MFP incorrectly assumes that SMTP Pipelining is supported. As the result, an SMTP synchronization error occurs. Because some STMP server use this command, you will need to install this beta firmware for the machine so the synchronization error will not occur.

Acquiring and installing the patch would require your local dealer's assistance. Unfortunately, that doesn't do much for your 2238, though.

As other posters previously stated, all firmware must be current. It can also be an issue where some parts of the machine are current, but others are not. Differing version levels sometimes don't play well togrther. (I've been burned by that one several times! )

I hope all this helps!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ricoh printers scan to email dalays

Check your authentication settings and certificates.
    Create a local certificate, but don't register it (costs $).
    Keep authentication to auto.

Just something to try.
    Worked for me once on a remote intranet with scanning.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

daverowson

Question Re: Ricoh printers scan to email dalays

Good morning, did you ever get the bottom of this issue, we too have a similar problem, scan to email sends the email, but then the printer hangs for 30 seconds waiting for something. exchange has received the email and has no errors, but the printer still waits.
    Many thanks
    Dave

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: Ricoh printers scan to email dalays

If using a DHCP network. Then swap the DNS order in the MFD.

eg.
    DNS1: 10.0.0.1
    DNS2 : 192.168.0.1

swapped
    DNS1: 192.168.0.1
    DNS2: 10.0.0.1

Example only. Use the valid IP numbers already set in MFD.

HTH
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

daverowson

Hi,
    I cannot see your thinking behind swapping them over, what will it achieve? however, I have tried this, but makes no difference. I scan the doc, I receive the email instantly, but the mfp still says 'sending' for another 30 seconds. Is it waiting for a confirmation from the exchange server, exchange does not send confirmations!

Thanks for your help
    Dave

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daverowson View Post
    Good morning, did you ever get the bottom of this issue, we too have a similar problem, scan to email sends the email, but then the printer hangs for 30 seconds waiting for something. exchange has received the email and has no errors, but the printer still waits.
    Many thanks
    Dave
    What's the model number of your machine? There's a chance it could be different than the ones listed in the first post on this thread, and if so you might need very different information than what is already here.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh printers scan to email dalays

Quote Originally Posted by pjcoxy View Post
    Yeh, could do but ping -t drops no packets all day and printing to the printers all day by 20 or so people results in no printing errors and no network related errors in the system logs
    You beat me to the question: What happens on an extended ping -t? I had a Kyocera that would drop off the network seemingly randomly, but when you looked at the continuous ping, it was dropping off every 20 pings like clockwork, just for two or three pings. Plugging into another switch port fixed my problem.

Perhaps you could change the IP of the affected MFP, and the IP whitelist on the server?

Are the affected MFP's chained through a network phone, or some other device that might limit the network connection speed?

Perhaps you could make up a long network cable, and plug directly into the switch, to rule out wiring inconsistencies, pinched/smashed cables, etc.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

daverowson

Morning,
    Thanks for the replies. answers below:
    extended ping, no issues, will ping for days without dropping anything,
    models, c3553, c3005 colour and black and white
    switches their plugged into, cisco 3750, production switches for years, no issues that I can find)
    they have been white listed and added to the exchange relay for anonymous relaying.
    wiring, we have 11 of these printers, throughout difference buildings across the UK, all pugged into different switches. all have the same issue.

This is a new print solution, and this email part has never been right, the scan to email works, but it simply sits there saying 'sending' for 30 seconds, after you have actually had the email delivered. so exchange is receiving the data, and processing it to the mailbox, it is just the printer that still thinks it needs to do something?

Thanks for your replies.

Dave