Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Question Scan Router Lite on Vista?

Hi,

Has anybody gotten Scan Router Lite to run on any version of Vista?

It's a given that it won't run on 64 bit, but I was wondering about 32 bit.

I have an account that's a small educational office in a hospital, and scan to email is forbidden on their network.

They have a Ricoh 2020D which can't scan to folder on its own.

We were scanning using Scan Router Lite to a folder on a user's PC (running SRL), but she just got a new PC with Vista Business Edition.

I was told that when she (or her IT department) tried to install SRL, that it crashed her PC.

I have a lot of alternative solutions in mind, but I just wanted to verify SRL not working with Vista.

Thanks!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar
    Ken,

You are correct: ScanRouter will not work with Vista. This is essentially a dead piece of software so Ricoh no longer supports it. Try to get an old XP box or such just to use as a scan PC or try to get the device upgraded to an MP class machine.

Thanks.

I knew that as of Autumn 06 that it is no longer a supported product.

After I posted my question, I stumbled across a document from Ricoh where they stated that it would not be supported under any version of Vista.

However, there are various levels of "not supported", all the way from "it won't work at all" to "it will work but don't ask for help".

I would have tested it myself but I don't have a copy of Vista to test with.

Thanks again,
    Ken
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Scan Router Lite on Vista?

I've never had need to test it - most IT departments have been smart enough to pass on the nightmare that is Vista, and the few accounts I have with machines that are old enough to require it won't likely be upgrading any of their XP or 2k boxes for the same reason they won't upgrade the copier: $$$

There are several "compatability modes" for different programs, you can try tweaking some settings, and if you have enough time to kill you can probably make it work. You shouldn't have to do that, Microsoft should know better.

On the flip side of that coin, I work on computers for friends, family, and whatever small potatoes Ricoh turns down are also fair game for me. A lot of these people have Vista - most hate it. I've scrounged a few Windows XP COA Stickers off of old junked PCs and done what Micro$oft sells as a "Familiarity Upgrade" but that's not an option on all machines - Redmond has "encouraged" some hardware vendors not to make XP drivers for some of the latest hardware.

I've loaded Linux on a LOT of these computers. I've found the latest version of WINE running on Ubuntu is more compatible with old (i.e. >2 years) Windows programs than Vista (that's if there's not a native version or open source replacement) I did that for my mother-in-law and told her it was the "Windows 7 on Steriods Beta" and she still hasn't figured out she's running Linux

Some others have spent the extra money and bought a Mac - which are absolutely great systems if you can afford one.

Windows 7 better be a VAST improvement or Microsoft is going under.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Only other option is Twain Scanning.. Yeah bummer.

copierman 250+ Posts

Hi Guys, i have had it working on Vista, the main thing that stops it working is UAC (user account control), disable this in the user accounts menu and your troubles will go away, Also remember to open ports 3670 on the firewall.

Let me know how you go on.
    Networking skills are advantageous but use of a 3m vacuum cleaner is essential

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Isn't disabling UAC an undocumented setup step when installing Vista?
    73 DE W5SSJ

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Haha Ya know after living with UAC for a year I disabled it on some office and home pc's. Things seem better lol..

But I do think many of my customers would not like it. They are paranoid and snoop at the Security Center and see red they will flip.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts category_five's Avatar
    Even older machines have scan to email. Do yourself and your customers a favor and use that if at all possible.

I'm totally with you on the issues with Scan Router - I'm no fan of it, either.

Sadly, this is one of those circumstances where sales never planned ahead or asked the right questions when the 2020D was installed a few years ago. We're not allowed to scan to email because of some stupid, archaic edict by the IT department, and TWAIN scanning was scoffed at when we suggested it.

Scan Router was working without issue on the user's XP machine. They upgraded her to (awk!) Vista, without asking us if there were any issues.

I've already told the newly assigned sales person that I recommend upgrading the MFP to an MP model so that they can once again scan to folder.

Thanks for the replies, everybody!