Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Technician

sending ricoh counter trough email

Hi guys!

This is my first post.

And I would like to challenge all of you.

We have more than 600 machines and we mess up every month recounting the counters of all of them.

We would like to reduce the workload of this task by sending automatically the counter by email.

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Service Manager 250+ Posts zyqwiz's Avatar
    No - it is not possible to email meter readings on a Ricoh machine.

You need to get the @remote system in place to be able to gather remote readings but all machines must be networked and connected to the internet for it to work.

Technician
    Thanks for the quick response.

OK, thatīs also the official answer.

We are hardminded and want to develop a system to do it even if it need some programing.

Question is: is there any way to get the counter asking the machine?, as the usb does when you click them and analize the network looking for all the public counters.

We would like to get the counter doesnīt matter the way, with that info we could program the email trough other ways or even the proper machine trough programming.

Again a new challenge.

Regards.

Technician
    As @remote does, there should be a way to get that info... thatīs the point.

If we are able to get the info from the machine we later on we could program the sending by email.

Regards.

Service Manager 250+ Posts zyqwiz's Avatar
    Get some 3rd party equivalent to gather readings but they will generally only get the total reading so no good for colour machines which have 2 readings.

Technician
    Sorry. That is not acceptable.

We do not like to give up just now.

There should be a way to ask the machine for the counters, a third party as you say it only answer about the total counter not especfying about black and colour.

We need fresh ideas to get it. If it is possible, we have the knowledge to program it but I am pretty sure we can ask the machine for it, the question is how.

Even with Java programing inside there should be a way.

Come on! this is a real challenge, donīt tell me we cannot solve this problem. We are trying it so hard...

Of course thanks in advance.

Regards.

PS.- We are considering even surfing a robot until the counter page of the web smart monitor... but perhaps there are a simpler way to solve it.
    As we are spanish we are hardminded to death. :-)
    Really it will save us tens of hours processing the counters every month, and that is a boring job, thatīs we want to solve it.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    sending ricoh counter trough email

Use a program like logmein to access a computer on the clients local network then from a browser access the WIM of the copier.
    Take it from there you hard-headed Spaniel.

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

Technician
    Yeah,

We thought about it but we need a not intrusive way to acces the machine. Accesing from outside and checking the WIM do not allow us to automatize the process. You need permission from the customer to access from outside and finally and most important itīs a manual work.

What we are looking for is a way to ask the machine about the counter, imagine we send a ping to the machine network address and it answer: date, color counter, black counter... then we could program an aplication to send the info trough email (with customer permission and the machine).

We are pretty sure it can be done but we need some extra knowledge as Ricoh do not help us a lot or (as we suspect) do not have f* idea of how to do it.

The counters are there, we only need to check them from outside, or inside.

The closer we are is, as I told before, a robot exploring the counter in the WIM and after that sending an email.

As you know we can program the machine to send emails about toner level, jams, empty paper... why not the counters... it really tease me up...

I think there should be a better way to do it, trough java programing or any other way but there is not books about how it works.

Anyway, any other ideas, some more brainstorming for this hard-headed spaniards.

Best regards.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Fearless V K's Avatar
    I would think Java is your best bet, but I'm not a programmer so I don't know how to make it work.
    Don't take that toner with me!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    You can download Web Smart Device Monitor from Ricoh to collect and email meter readings for you on any day(s) of the month you ask it to.

WSDM will separate the color and BW counts. It also breaks down copies, prints, scans, and faxes separately.

No Java cards or programming required.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins