Technician 250+ Posts Ricoh-ono's Avatar

MP 4001 Dog-earing only on duplex

Have a machine that is dog-earing and wrinkling paper only on duplex. Checked the paper guides for burrs and adjusted the diverter gate solenoid. I changed paper to see if it might have been a bad ream that liked to curl. After inspecting the entire paper path I am leaning toward the fusing unit due to the wrinkling that occurs with the dog-earing. Machine has less than 20K on it.

Anyone run into this?
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. ~Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Is this machine the same as the MP5000? Cause I know you gotta put the plastic bracket things on the exit rollers if it has a bridge unit or finisher on the MP5000....

But if they are missing it would dog ear duplexed or simplexed. Just an idea, dunno if its any help!

Technician 250+ Posts Ricoh-ono's Avatar
    So it looks like I had two issues causing the dog-ear.

1. The metal frame that is in front of the development unit was bent inward by a couple of millimeters. This was causing the rear side of the paper to hit the plastic frame of the PCU, thus causing my "pressed" dog-earing and wrinkling.

2. The second issue was the missing brackets mentioned by Smee. (Thanks Smee!) This was causing my "curled" dog-ears in the finishing unit.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. ~Theodore Roosevelt

Ricoh MP5001 dogearing on duplex, had the H shaped guides missing between interchange/fuser area and bridge unit...clip on kinda like the little guides on a AF220 but these are shaped like an H. Parts catalog shows 1 required....get 2

Saleman installed for me so i still a novice on how they attach...must be easy..he got it done.

One work around is the convince the customer to run short edge forward (letter R) until you get back.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MP 4001 Dog-earing only on duplex

Re: MP 4001 Dog-earing only on duplex

Quote Originally Posted by Ricoh-ono View Post
    So it looks like I had two issues causing the dog-ear.

1. The metal frame that is in front of the development unit was bent inward by a couple of millimeters. This was causing the rear side of the paper to hit the plastic frame of the PCU, thus causing my "pressed" dog-earing and wrinkling.

2. The second issue was the missing brackets mentioned by Smee. (Thanks Smee!) This was causing my "curled" dog-ears in the finishing unit.
    Cause #1 was giving me the trouble seen in the pictures you attached.

EDIT: Sorry for resurrecting this dead thread, I was trying to cross reference it to a newer thread where OP has the dog-ear problem!