Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Re: mpc2500 always ask for black tonner

Are you still getting the load black toner message, if so, does it attempt to load the toner when you close the front cover. If the toner motor doesn't run then one of the doors (usually the lower right hand one) is not fully closed

Service Manager 250+ Posts turbojetboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bantams View Post
    The engine clear caused the independant toner message no way to clear that until another ones fitted but machine should work.

The other add toner problem is usually the Toner Pump what usually happens is it says adding toner when you put the new one in then it will say add toner after it fails to load it.

Whats the PM on the black PCU and DEV units?
    I am pretty sure turning off 5051 toner refill display will put an end to the independant supplier message.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    mpc2500 always ask for black tonner

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetboy View Post
    I am pretty sure turning off 5051 toner refill display will put an end to the independant supplier message.
    He stated that he'd done that in his original post. The message only came up due to an engine clear. The real problem is the "add toner condition"

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    He stated that he'd done that in his original post. The message only came up due to an engine clear. The real problem is the "add toner condition"
    Correct. I was replying to "bantams" post. For what its worth I would lay money on the fault being flat spotted helical dev clutch drive gear in the main drive assy. Seen this about 5 times already this year - only solution is tor replace the drive assy, and trust me - whilst your there do the 4 drum motors AND the 4 cutches - or you will be back.

nagaio

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetboy View Post
    Correct. I was replying to "bantams" post. For what its worth I would lay money on the fault being flat spotted helical dev clutch drive gear in the main drive assy. Seen this about 5 times already this year - only solution is tor replace the drive assy, and trust me - whilst your there do the 4 drum motors AND the 4 cutches - or you will be back.
    I'm having this exactly same problem, but I don't know what do you mean with "the fault being flat spotted helical dev clutch drive gear in the main drive assy", probably is a missing in translation, can you explain better?

Thanks in advanced.

The "flat spots" are on the helical gears that are driven by the 4 drum drive motors located deep in the rear panel. The gears get worn to a point that one of them finally stops turning and the metal shaft of the drum drive motor chews out a nice flat spot. At this point depending on exactly which gear has been chewed you can get a total loss of reproduction of that colour, various pcu and dev sc codes and the "add toner message".

However nine times out of ten the "add toner message" is a result of blocked plumbing and / or failed toner pump. Always go to these first and vac all pipes, nozzle and repl the toner pump.

I have found you can actually see a very small pile of black plastic dust (not toner) gathering under the affected drive gears in the main unit - this is the give-away. Replacing this is a serious pull apart and I recommend replacing the drum motors and all 4 clutches whilst your at it.

One more thing to check is if the main drive assembly has ever been out of the machine.I went to a call a little while back where 18 months earlier the main drive assy had been replaced...when the tech put the assy into the machine he trapped the yellow pipe slightly...over time the pipe blocked and it was only after replacing the pump and still having the add toner message that I went to replace the pipe and found it pinched by the drive unit :/

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Counsel's Avatar

pretty easy to test the pump. open the door, remove the pcu, remove the pump, take vacuum with small diameter long nozzle, suck all the toner out of the supply tube, then suck all the toner out of the pump opening, suck some out of the dev unit opening, stick it all back in and let it attempt to add toner a few times, if didnt clear then remove the pump if there is no toner in the hole then its not working, replace it.

Also you can do the toner clear on these when a full bottle is reading as empty in toner consumption in the SPs to reset it so it reads the bottle i think its sp 3045 to turn off detection, exit sp mode and turn off machine, then turn back on and go back in to sp 3045 and enable toner detection, thats what you do when a full bottle is reading empty.

When i get a toner add condition first question i ask the customer was did you just replace the bottle, and was the old one empty if the old one still had toner in it, and they replaced it anyway and it didnt clear the toner add then probably the pump. I had all 4 pumps go out consecutively in a 3 day span before.

Quote Originally Posted by Counsel View Post
    pretty easy to test the pump. open the door, remove the pcu, remove the pump, take vacuum with small diameter long nozzle, suck all the toner out of the supply tube, then suck all the toner out of the pump opening, suck some out of the dev unit opening, stick it all back in and let it attempt to add toner a few times, if didnt clear then remove the pump if there is no toner in the hole then its not working, replace it.
    I keep the little cover that comes on new devs units to cover the dev unit entrance in my tool bag.I just pop one on the dev in question and run a forced toner....check if the cover piece has toner in it or not.