Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

A new tool for helping techs

Hello buddies. I do some C/C++ programming in my spare time and following the advices on this site (a very good one I dare say) I've developed an application to decrypt the nvram (only on Ricoh/Savin ecc) and displaying the admins and supervisor names/passwords. As I want to share this with this site but as you know anyone on the net could get the program as soon as they log-in (not just techs) I was asking if there was a way not to share this with wrong people. So I'm asking you guys how can I share this. The program just needs the nvram and nothing else and developed on c++ so it works in windows and linux also. Bare in mind that I'm not asking money for this (how could I as long as the information was found on this site). But don't want to distribute it to everyone (read wrong people). So please throw in some solutions.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: A new tool for helping techs

You'd best just keep this to yourself.

Distributing this type of information, no matter how you go about doing it, is literally BEGGING for all sorts of trouble!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Good point. Never thought of that.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

There are easier ways to reset admin/supervisor passwords...

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Care to enlighten me, I really needed to know a few weeks ago when a customer decided to change it and couldn't remember either the admin or the supervisor passwords

Service Manager 250+ Posts turbojetboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skynetto View Post
    Hello buddies. I do some C/C++ programming in my spare time and following the advices on this site (a very good one I dare say) I've developed an application to decrypt the nvram (only on Ricoh/Savin ecc) and displaying the admins and supervisor names/passwords. As I want to share this with this site but as you know anyone on the net could get the program as soon as they log-in (not just techs) I was asking if there was a way not to share this with wrong people. So I'm asking you guys how can I share this. The program just needs the nvram and nothing else and developed on c++ so it works in windows and linux also. Bare in mind that I'm not asking money for this (how could I as long as the information was found on this site). But don't want to distribute it to everyone (read wrong people). So please throw in some solutions.
    I think this is brilliant work. I agree there could be a "legal" problem. Can you message me with more info. Cheers

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

It just wants the nvram file (the one you upload to your SD) and it shows you the passwords and names of supervisor and admins. In no way it modifes the data on nvram file so it doesn't reset pass. This is the same info i've found here, just automated it a bit.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    A new tool for helping techs

Thumbs up Re: A new tool for helping techs

If you want to send it to me, I'll keep it on file and then when any TECH asks for it. I'll forward them the link in a PM. I'd like to have it anyhow. In fact, I'll give you a free manual for it. Oh, and I boosted your rep too for the good work. You're out of the red now.

Email me at Paul@justmanuals.com

Thank you.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

So be it. You have to wait till tomorrow (as long as I'll go to work) and then ask Paul for it. Thanks for your support

P.s: i'm just writting another one to send over e-mail the copier counters. As soon as I'll finished it i'll release it to the forum

Sharing the source? If so, is it GCC, VC++ or both?