Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Re: MPC2800/3300 display dead mc tries to start (SC202) - SOLVED!

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    Bugger doing component level fixes on an MPC2800..!!!
    The machine is now on the "not supported" list from Ricoh and getting parts is going to be difficult shortly so I CAN understand the need for soldering and the like but I'd have sold them a new machine.
    And damn this is an old post
    i sold a bunch of this series to unload that crappy b/w mp2022 and others as i got tired of
    that crappy drum n dev unit design flaw....
    the odd thing is the ventilating fans blew a code and they basically cool off the laser assembly...
    gotta ck to see if i can make those fans run longer...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MPC2800/3300 display dead mc tries to start (SC202) - SOLVED!

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    i sold a bunch of this series to unload that crappy b/w mp2022 and others as i got tired of
    that crappy drum n dev unit design flaw....
    Hmmm, a very different experience to you, I thought that the 2022 was one of the best boxes Ricoh ever put out. The PCDU regularly went 25% over life.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Hmmm, a very different experience to you, I thought that the 2022 was one of the best boxes Ricoh ever put out. The PCDU regularly went 25% over life.
    after doing mostly sharp and minolta for 20 years i reentered selling lease return Ricohs with the 220 and 270 series,then 1022 and mp 2550,and
    they all would break your heart wth dumping toner and leaking developer.
    if they had gone with the drum/developer style like in these color units i would still be doing them..
    maybe i only got the monday morning made ones...........

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

after doing mostly sharp and minolta for 20 years i reentered selling lease return Ricohs with the 220 and 270 series,then 1022 and mp 2550,and
    they all would break your heart wth dumping toner and leaking developer.
    if they had gone with the drum/developer style like in these color units i would still be doing them..
    maybe i only got the monday morning made ones...........
    I also cut my teeth on 220/270 and 1022/1027 series. PCU1027 (genuine Ricoh PCU) ran well as long as you did not use compatible toner. Reliable machines - had one do in excess of 1 million copies with few service calls. Ran as well as the day we installed it!
    Press the GREEN button!!

re:use compatible toner
    sometimes I dont have a choice but i had drums fail even with OEM toner.
    My view is the developer units were too small to handle any extra toner as the drums weakened and machine added more toner to compensate...
    I probably rebuilt over 50 drum units but again the Katun rebuild kits were bad too as that drum was very "soft" and would show marks and lines over time..
    I will say i was so happy to replace the last of this series a few years ago...

Retired 10,000+ Posts

re:use compatible toner
    sometimes I dont have a choice but i had drums fail even with OEM toner.
    My view is the developer units were too small to handle any extra toner as the drums weakened and machine added more toner to compensate...
    I probably rebuilt over 50 drum units but again the Katun rebuild kits were bad too as that drum was very "soft" and would show marks and lines over time..
    I will say i was so happy to replace the last of this series a few years ago...
    The term OEM and the term Genuine Ricoh are not equal. OEM merely means third party product that meets the combination of ingredients specified by Ricoh. It does not mean that it is the quality, particle size and reliability of Genuine Ricoh.

worker drone 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The term OEM and the term Genuine Ricoh are not equal. OEM merely means third party product that meets the combination of ingredients specified by Ricoh. It does not mean that it is the quality, particle size and reliability of Genuine Ricoh.
    I grew up around a car dealership and my whole life, I have been told OEM stands fore Original Equipment Manufacturer. NOS was New Old Stock and NORS was New Old Replacement Stock (or aftermarket as you mentioned) I guess we have to agree to disagree on our interpretations of OEM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coptech View Post
    I grew up around a car dealership and my whole life, I have been told OEM stands fore Original Equipment Manufacturer. NOS was New Old Stock and NORS was New Old Replacement Stock (or aftermarket as you mentioned) I guess we have to agree to disagree on our interpretations of OEM.
    Yes OEM stands for Original Machine Manufacturer but does not mean that the original OEM. Many online toner suppliers provide both OEM and Genuine Ricoh. Usually there is a difference in the performance. There is one third party toner manufacturer that makes products that are equal to or better than Ricoh, but then their prices reflect the same. The old saying, you can pay me now or pay me later.

worker drone 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Yes OEM stands for Original Machine Manufacturer but does not mean that the original OEM. Many online toner suppliers provide both OEM and Genuine Ricoh. Usually there is a difference in the performance. There is one third party toner manufacturer that makes products that are equal to or better than Ricoh, but then their prices reflect the same. The old saying, you can pay me now or pay me later.
    I'm afraid I am still in the disagree column but that is OK...If we are using Ricoh for an example, to me, OEM means it was Original Equipment Manufacturer or Ricoh in that example. Granted many manufacturers will use their own plants to make aftermarket toner for their competitors machines or some manufacturers outsource the original supplies but I believe that OEM means that the toner was supplied by the original manufacturing source.
    Using my car dealership days as an example, If you had an OEM Mopar oil filter, it was manufactured and distributed by the original manufacturing source. Chrysler may have contracted FRAM to build the filters but they were painted with the Mopar logo and boxed in Mopar boxes. Maybe you bought a Fram filter that came down the very same assembly line prior to paint and packaging but that kept it from being an OEM part. Tomato-tomato... If I bought toner from a vendor that advertised it as OEM, it better come in a box marked original... whoever or they are taking it back. Hey, but I have been wrong before...maybe even more than once or twice.

After googling the definition of OEM, I am no less confused than I was. It makes me feel no less wrong or no less right...just more confused.
    Last edited by Coptech; 05-23-2017 at 10:22 PM. Reason: closing thought

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coptech View Post
    I'm afraid I am still in the disagree column but that is OK...If we are using Ricoh for an example, to me, OEM means it was Original Equipment Manufacturer or Ricoh in that example. Granted many manufacturers will use their own plants to make aftermarket toner for their competitors machines or some manufacturers outsource the original supplies but I believe that OEM means that the toner was supplied by the original manufacturing source.
    Using my car dealership days as an example, If you had an OEM Mopar oil filter, it was manufactured and distributed by the original manufacturing source. Chrysler may have contracted FRAM to build the filters but they were painted with the Mopar logo and boxed in Mopar boxes. Maybe you bought a Fram filter that came down the very same assembly line prior to paint and packaging but that kept it from being an OEM part. Tomato-tomato... If I bought toner from a vendor that advertised it as OEM, it better come in a box marked original... whoever or they are taking it back. Hey, but I have been wrong before...maybe even more than once or twice.

After googling the definition of OEM, I am no less confused than I was. It makes me feel no less wrong or no less right...just more confused.
    The one thing that you need to understand is that Ricoh does not manufacture its own toner. They contract out to other manufacturers who specialize in making toner. Ricoh submits the toner to extensive testing before packaging and distributing. Part of the contract is that they do not release same quality supplies to OEM sellers. The same is true for most MFP manufacturers. As for automobile parts, as an example, OEM parts from a parts house for lets say a Ford are not Genuine Ford unless labeled as such.