Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts Herostrat's Avatar

3045 fusers saying SC542 for good morning.

This is becoming more and more frustrating,it used to be replace hot roller and hit the road,but since we got some "for use" shipment of hot rollers it's only headaches.
    First of all to explain why "for use"...cause our customers simply don't want to pay for "real deal"...there is apsolutley nothing that can persuade them to do it,it's simply how it is and we have to deal with such clients.
    We use 2 types of hot rollers
    *Copygraf-named by our salesman (I suppose,it's not labeled) aparently cheep chineese sh***
    *Integral-a fairly descent hot rollers with good price/quality ratio
    So copygraf is working in one out of 10 machines,some of them are even damaged...imagine the look on my face the first time I unfolded it out of protective sheet on field.
    It is somewhat good on smaller machines,and mostly used on machines such as MP5500 and above.
    But the 35's and 45's simply won't acsept them,if it doesn't show SC 542 in the morning then it does incomplete fusing all the time or just in the morning.
    Now Integral made it all dificult,cause those were the failsafe,they never failed us on any machine,it used to be damn fine hot roller...USED to be,we got new shipement and so far 5 out of 5 that I replaced did incomplete fusing.
    From what I'we learned so far one solution is to Update firmware to v. 2.29 Engine

BICU (Engine)
    Version Title Symptom Corrected
    SC541, 542 Fusing-related SC codes (541, 542) and/or
    incomplete fusing occur when making copies first
    thing in the morning (esp. in cold environments)...tnx copytechnet

But untill we obtain firmware (a bit dificult story on that part) I'm looking for alternate solution or just an opinion about what culd be done
    If I find time I'll try playing with SP
    1103-00* fusing idling in workshop but still idk what to expect of that on field.

Thanks for any advices.
    Gears,springs,clutches,sliders,connectors and electronics...who on earth can tell what's wrong with it?

Service Manager 250+ Posts HP:guy's Avatar

Re: 3045 fusers saying SC542 for good morning.

You are dealing with after market parts, and little thing like being to thick and to thin are common.
    Find another dealer.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Herostrat's Avatar

Wish I culd,I realy do...but it's not up to me but up to my boss.
    Gears,springs,clutches,sliders,connectors and electronics...who on earth can tell what's wrong with it?

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

The machine simply can not reach the required temperature in time. Better use the original parts. Customers also don't pay when you have to visit them on a weekly basis.

Also watch out for airconditioners, they can also cause fuser errors when the cold air is blowing into the machine.

Technician

Im really not sure what kind of advice you are trying to get, It sounds like you already know what the problem is.
    There are some aftermarket parts that work well, and some parts there is no substitute for the O.E.M.
    Unfortunately for you , you happen to find that on this series machine there is no substitute.
    I have gone through this same problem with a company I used to work for, it took a long time to convince them to get O.E.M. heat rollers.
    I had to make a deal with them to get me one heat roller, and put it in a problem machine to moniter it, if it worked they needed to get me O.E.M. rollers for these machines.--- I won----

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Switching fusing idling to on is correct as the first step, also make sure the heat roll is the proper type for that model. Earlier mfp's had a thicker wall on the roller, the later ones were thin to facilitate quicker warmup (the outside diameter and length were the same). If you're using ones with too thick walls then the warmup will take longer, possibly giving you the 542 error. I agree with everyone that you really need to use the oem rollers to eliminate them as a problem.
    Last edited by teebee1234; 06-13-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Talking Re: 3045 fusers saying SC542 for good morning.

yea yo remind me with black days in my company .my boss teach us how to deceive customers .some kind of customers need some thing like that.we all walk in the same way

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

It probably won't help, but replacing the thermistors is pretty simple if you've already got the covers off of the fuser, you might try that once if you haven't already.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Herostrat View Post
    Wish I culd,I realy do...but it's not up to me but up to my boss.
    Who's saving money here? You have to pay several visits to the customer to install/re-install inferior fuser rollers - probably under warranty, because you did actually replace the hot roller - Afterall, it's not the customer's fault that it doesn't work - even though they chose not to pay for the Oem parts.
    Even if the rollers do work for a time, you might get 30% -40% yield out of the it if you're lucky.
    If your boss can't see the foolishness and waste in this, I'd start looking for another job, he won't be around much longer.

try increasing the fusing temperature in tech mode