Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: MPC4503

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MPC4503

Angry MPC4503

Installed a new MPC4503 two days ago and customer called today with a SC549-04 code. Has to do with heat shield in fuser not finding correct position. I found a bulletin about updating the engine firmware for this issue, which I did and they called back three hours later with same code. My guess is to replace the fuser unit if there is nothing obvious with the heat shield. Wondering if anyone has had this with this series of machine. Would like to put this to rest quickly as I already heard the "L" word today(lemon). Going back in the morning, any help much appreciated.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: MPC4503

I also had this code , I replaced the fuser unit and had no problems .

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MPC4503

Thanks for the input Duct Tape.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC4503

Since it was only 2 days old, make sure to have Ricoh send you the new fusing at no charge.

Service Manager 250+ Posts turbojetboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
    Installed a new MPC4503 two days ago and customer called today with a SC549-04 code. Has to do with heat shield in fuser not finding correct position. I found a bulletin about updating the engine firmware for this issue, which I did and they called back three hours later with same code. My guess is to replace the fuser unit if there is nothing obvious with the heat shield. Wondering if anyone has had this with this series of machine. Would like to put this to rest quickly as I already heard the "L" word today(lemon). Going back in the morning, any help much appreciated.
    Can I ask, what paper sizes and orientation are being used in the machine trays? As said before first up I would replace the fuser as we have had a few of these give this error and most have been fixed with a fuser swap. Let me know about your paper sizes and orientation.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MPC4503

Yes, will be looking for a free replacement for sure. The paper was regular 20lb bond, running portrait style and some 11x17. They ran about 600 copies. Sounds like a bulletin/upgraded fuser or shutter is needed. Will let you know what happens....thanks.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Richariri's Avatar

There was a bulletin for new MP C3003 / 3503 machines where the guide plate on top of fuser needed one screw removing due to the plastic getting warped...

Don't know if this applies to you, but when your next to unit, look at the 'flip up' feed guide and check only one screw is installed.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MPC4503

Just following up on this issue, I replaced the fuser unit(under warranty) and problem has not reoccured. While researching the problem, I did see a video by Ricoh about the fuser sleeves binding on one end and causing 549 codes. Thanks again for the input.
    Old Crow