Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Helpdesk Engineer 50+ Posts hdmr's Avatar

Question Address Book Editing

I have a project for a customer who is wanting us to input 40+ scan to folder entries to the address book on two machines.

I was hoping that there is some way of editing the backup taken from the machine, adding the new locations in the same format and the importing the data back to the machine. It turns out that the file type is a .udf file which doesn't open with word/notepad or excel so is pretty much un-editable (to my knowledge)

I know I can use SDM for admin to do this task but the customer will not permit the installation on their server.

Does anyone have a suggestion to make this process easier than manually doing one machine, backing up that data and the importing it onto the other device.

Service Manager 100+ Posts Moza's Avatar

Re: Address Book Editing

Quote Originally Posted by hdmr View Post
    I have a project for a customer who is wanting us to input 40+ scan to folder entries to the address book on two machines.

I was hoping that there is some way of editing the backup taken from the machine, adding the new locations in the same format and the importing the data back to the machine. It turns out that the file type is a .udf file which doesn't open with word/notepad or excel so is pretty much un-editable (to my knowledge)

I know I can use SDM for admin to do this task but the customer will not permit the installation on their server.

Does anyone have a suggestion to make this process easier than manually doing one machine, backing up that data and the importing it onto the other device.
    The only way to export the address book in another format would be to use SDM, could you not use a laptop connected directly to the device ?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zaxxon's Avatar

Have you tried to back it up from one machine to the other via sdcard?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Address Book Editing

Quote Originally Posted by hdmr View Post

If both machines have the same address book, you can use WIM to edit the address book on one then backup the address book and restore it to the other. As for SDM for admin, install it on you laptop. Disconnect one machine from the network and connect it directly to your laptop. Or, if the customer will let you, connect your laptop to the network.

Helpdesk Engineer 50+ Posts hdmr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moza View Post
    The only way to export the address book in another format would be to use SDM, could you not use a laptop connected directly to the device ?
    Moza, I'm not on site - I work from a helpdesk so trying to do it all remotely. should have maybe said that in my original post lol