Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

SC 552-02 on a mpc3002

hi
    i just got a call back for a mpc3002 that i checked out yesterday"sc 552-02 code"
    I pulled the fuser unit and tested both thermofuses and they tested good..
    I then pulled both pressure roller thermister a little dirt,and cleaned and reassembled and cked all connections..
    the customer had the machine plugged into a 4 outlet "power strip" which they said is a "surge protector"..
    As i watched the temp display in service mode,it seemed to heat up pretty normal,both readings very close.
    Upon repowering the machine it died midcycle and i watched the power strip light flicker off and then on with no
    fuse/breaker popping out..
    I connected right to wall outlet and ran a smc printout and all looked good.
    Next morning same problem sc 552-02.
    I saw a reference on RTB in system/copy regarding this code.
    Did a FW update help with this or should i just go swap out new thermofuses..
    thanks

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SC 552-02 on a mpc3002

Re: SC 552-02 on a mpc3002

More often than not, it is the thermostat. Turn the C3002 off and allow the fusing unit to cool. Open the front door and turn back on with the door open. Enter SP mode and monitor the pressure roller temperatures after you close the door. If one of them is slow to come up, meter that thermostat to see if it is open.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Basically it's not reaching target temperature in time.

Check the 3 fusing lamps on the sleeve unit with a multi-meter as one of the lamps could be blown. (I've seen that a few times).
    A blown lamp will not necessarily cause a immediate service code condition.
    A sign that a lamp might be out is a slow warm up time from cold and 1st print out recovery from energy save.

Check the thermistors are clean and making good contact.
    Go to SP1106 then close the RHS door and see if the fuser temp readings are going above 80c quickly on warm up.
    The fuser temps should be hitting 120c and above when it's continuously printing.
    Last edited by Cipher; 03-07-2018 at 06:53 PM.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Basically it's not reaching target temperature in time.

Check the 3 fusing lamps on the sleeve unit with a multi-meter as one of the lamps could be blown. (I've seen that a few times).
    A blown lamp will not necessarily cause a immediate service code condition.
    A sign that a lamp might be out is a slow warm up time from cold and 1st print out recovery from energy save.

Check the thermistors are clean and making good contact.
    Go to SP1106 then close the RHS door and see if the fuser temp readings are going above 80c quickly on warm up.
    The fuser temps should be hitting 120c and above when it's continuously printing.
    thanks
    I swapped a whole fuser weeks ago and machine seems all good.
    After installing "bad" fuser on my backup spare it coded out 552 03..
    Being busy I put it to the side.
    Now i just spent 2 hours on it as i need to get this machine ready to sell.
    So i pull it apart n check the 3 lamps and all check good,then the 2 thermofuses,same..
    recheck all connectors,harness and decide to swap out the 2 thermofuses .
    I reinstall and it code sc 552-03 again but temp got close to 140 in service mode.
    It was 32 overnight and machine sits in a non heated garage,maybe needs a bit more time?

i restarted machine and it came to ready..
    I am going to leave it plugged in for a few days and recheck...
    If it does it again i will try both thermister but looking at center and end they both
    show the same temp reading..
    I know with the mp2051/mp600 thermister codes i would see a big gap in temp reading when the thermister was faulty...