Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ricoh Aficio MP C2051 Thick Paper 3 color settings

Long time lurker throughout the years, first time poster!

I have been trying to print on some 100lb linen textured paper. The texture is very light. Everything comes out great using the thick paper 3 setting and the bypass tray, except the colors are very faint. I know this is not a 200k professional printing machine, but I'm wondering if there is a way to put down more toner to make the the blacks blacker and the reds more red and filled in. I have included the professionally printer menu and the one I have printed next to it.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh Aficio MP C2051 Thick Paper 3 color settings

You can try Middle thick instead of Thick 3. It sets a higher transfer roller bias current which should transfer more toner from the ITB to the paper.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

What's the g/m2 weight on that paper? 100lb SHOULD be about 270 g/m2, but the max weight for the C2051 is only rated for 256 g/m2.

If it's that far out of spec, you're likely not going to get good coverage or decent fusing on that weight of paper.

I was reading in the P.O. guide that it could handle up to 120lb. I did order some lighter weight stock, but I will try the thick 2 option as a test. Part of it is the textured paper for sure. Will post results tomorrow.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    What's the g/m2 weight on that paper? 100lb SHOULD be about 270 g/m2, but the max weight for the C2051 is only rated for 256 g/m2.

If it's that far out of spec, you're likely not going to get good coverage or decent fusing on that weight of paper.
    The specification of 256 g/m2, 68 lbs, from tray 1 and bypass is more a matter preventing jamming from paper being to thick to properly make turns. Duplex is limited to 105 g/m2.

Quote Originally Posted by wisemendistillery View Post
    I was reading in the P.O. guide that it could handle up to 120lb. I did order some lighter weight stock, but I will try the thick 2 option as a test. Part of it is the textured paper for sure. Will post results tomorrow.
    What I recommended was Middle Thick not Thick 2. You might also try changing SP 2652 Thick 3: Bias: FC to adjust the current for the paper transfer roller for thick paper 3 in full color mode. Also try changing paper type setting to Cardstock, Coated Paper or Coated Paper: Gloss.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The specification of 256 g/m2, 68 lbs, from tray 1 and bypass is more a matter preventing jamming from paper being to thick to properly make turns. Duplex is limited to 105 g/m2.

What I recommended was Middle Thick not Thick 2. You might also try changing SP 2652 Thick 3: Bias: FC to adjust the current for the paper transfer roller for thick paper 3 in full color mode. Also try changing paper type setting to Cardstock, Coated Paper or Coated Paper: Gloss.

I gotcha, will try today. Thanks!

I can find these settings on my Mac (perhaps that is the real issue here). When I select how I want the printout to behave (paper type, bypass tray), the settings don't stick and the printout goes through with the machine defaults. I also noticed the middle thick paper type is not an option natively in the machine itself. Going to try a windows machine now. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

edit: The current PCL version on the machine is 1.05, not sure if that helps or not.
    Last edited by wisemendistillery; 10-11-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I can find these settings on my Mac (perhaps that is the real issue here). When I select how I want the printout to behave (paper type, bypass tray), the settings don't stick and the printout goes through with the machine defaults. I also noticed the middle thick paper type is not an option natively in the machine itself. Going to try a windows machine now. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

edit: The current PCL version on the machine is 1.05, not sure if that helps or not.
    In User Tools you have to set set the bypass to Machine/Command instead of Machine Setting.

Nope..the version of PCL in the machine is irrelevant.
    You're printing via Postscript ONLY because you're using a Mac environment so the PS version would be relevant.
    Does the copier have a PS kit installed?
    Some people may have missed the fact that you're trying to print on Linen...which is a textured stock so require a LOT more experimentation to get it to work.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Not knowing if Ricoh has but on KonMin there is settings in SM for Thick paper density adjustment.
    Also what about of current state of consumables, any parts involved in image formation and transfer process like drums, devs, ITB, transfer roller etc
    may make worse image.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.