Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Ricoh Aficio MP C2051 Thick Paper 3 color settings

Long time lurker throughout the years, first time poster!

I have been trying to print on some 100lb linen textured paper. The texture is very light. Everything comes out great using the thick paper 3 setting and the bypass tray, except the colors are very faint. I know this is not a 200k professional printing machine, but I'm wondering if there is a way to put down more toner to make the the blacks blacker and the reds more red and filled in. I have included the professionally printer menu and the one I have printed next to it.

Re: Ricoh Aficio MP C2051 Thick Paper 3 color settings

You can try Middle thick instead of Thick 3. It sets a higher transfer roller bias current which should transfer more toner from the ITB to the paper.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio MP C2051 Thick Paper 3 color settings

What's the g/m2 weight on that paper? 100lb SHOULD be about 270 g/m2, but the max weight for the C2051 is only rated for 256 g/m2.

If it's that far out of spec, you're likely not going to get good coverage or decent fusing on that weight of paper.

I was reading in the P.O. guide that it could handle up to 120lb. I did order some lighter weight stock, but I will try the thick 2 option as a test. Part of it is the textured paper for sure. Will post results tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    What's the g/m2 weight on that paper? 100lb SHOULD be about 270 g/m2, but the max weight for the C2051 is only rated for 256 g/m2.

If it's that far out of spec, you're likely not going to get good coverage or decent fusing on that weight of paper.
    The specification of 256 g/m2, 68 lbs, from tray 1 and bypass is more a matter preventing jamming from paper being to thick to properly make turns. Duplex is limited to 105 g/m2.

Quote Originally Posted by wisemendistillery View Post
    I was reading in the P.O. guide that it could handle up to 120lb. I did order some lighter weight stock, but I will try the thick 2 option as a test. Part of it is the textured paper for sure. Will post results tomorrow.
    What I recommended was Middle Thick not Thick 2. You might also try changing SP 2652 Thick 3: Bias: FC to adjust the current for the paper transfer roller for thick paper 3 in full color mode. Also try changing paper type setting to Cardstock, Coated Paper or Coated Paper: Gloss.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The specification of 256 g/m2, 68 lbs, from tray 1 and bypass is more a matter preventing jamming from paper being to thick to properly make turns. Duplex is limited to 105 g/m2.

What I recommended was Middle Thick not Thick 2. You might also try changing SP 2652 Thick 3: Bias: FC to adjust the current for the paper transfer roller for thick paper 3 in full color mode. Also try changing paper type setting to Cardstock, Coated Paper or Coated Paper: Gloss.

I gotcha, will try today. Thanks!

I can find these settings on my Mac (perhaps that is the real issue here). When I select how I want the printout to behave (paper type, bypass tray), the settings don't stick and the printout goes through with the machine defaults. I also noticed the middle thick paper type is not an option natively in the machine itself. Going to try a windows machine now. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

edit: The current PCL version on the machine is 1.05, not sure if that helps or not.
    Last edited by wisemendistillery; 2 Days Ago at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wisemendistillery View Post
    I can find these settings on my Mac (perhaps that is the real issue here). When I select how I want the printout to behave (paper type, bypass tray), the settings don't stick and the printout goes through with the machine defaults. I also noticed the middle thick paper type is not an option natively in the machine itself. Going to try a windows machine now. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

edit: The current PCL version on the machine is 1.05, not sure if that helps or not.
    In User Tools you have to set set the bypass to Machine/Command instead of Machine Setting.