Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    3503z scanning issue

Re: 3503z scanning issue

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    Interesting...so you can essentially downgrade a Smart Op machine to a regular and upgrade a normal 3503 to a z model simply with firmware and settings in the SP mode?

I have firmware for both, unfortunately don't know the settings in SP mode that need to be switched and the last thing i want to do is mess with stuff in there i shouldn't

so you can essentially downgrade a Smart Op machine to a regular and upgrade a normal 3503 to a z model simply with firmware and settings in the SP mode? YES.

FROM THE SERVICE MANUAL:
    To upgrade a Normal to Smart Op - Update the "Normal Machine" with the SOP firmware first (SYSTEM FIRST - then the rest) --> Turn Off after update is done --> Turn back on and go into SP mode and set SP 5-748-101 and 5-748-201 to "1". --> Turn machine off --> Remove Normal Op and attach Smart OP --> Turn machine on --> Enter SP mode and change SP 5-752-001 to "1" --> exit out of "Copy SP" and go into "Scanner SP" and set Scanner SP 1-041-001 to "1" --> if fax is installed then go into "Fax SP" and set Fax SP 3-301-001 to "1" --> Turn machine off and back on.

To downgrade a Smart Op to normal Op - your switching all the SP's back to "0" --> Turn off --> swap op panel --> update to normal op firmware. (have never downgraded one before, so proceed with "downgrading" at your own risk). They don't have anything in the SM about downgrading.

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

So another machine is working fine on the same network point where the problem child refused to work?

Now I wish you changed controllers because it sounds to me like it's a network security/MAC address issue, keep having machines drop off the VLAN at one of my sites and every bloomin time the network guys reckon "We don't implement MAC filtering blah blah blah" and everytime it comes back online after they flush the lists and assign the MAC to a new port but only after I literally have to show them that my device works perfectly fine if I connect it via Xover and the issue is definitely on their side not my machine

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    3503z scanning issue

Interesting...so you can essentially downgrade a Smart Op machine to a regular and upgrade a normal 3503 to a z model simply with firmware and settings in the SP mode?

I have firmware for both, unfortunately don't know the settings in SP mode that need to be switched and the last thing i want to do is mess with stuff in there i shouldn't
    Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    so you can essentially downgrade a Smart Op machine to a regular and upgrade a normal 3503 to a z model simply with firmware and settings in the SP mode? YES.

FROM THE SERVICE MANUAL:
    To upgrade a Normal to Smart Op - Update the "Normal Machine" with the SOP firmware first (SYSTEM FIRST - then the rest) --> Turn Off after update is done --> Turn back on and go into SP mode and set SP 5-748-101 and 5-748-201 to "1". --> Turn machine off --> Remove Normal Op and attach Smart OP --> Turn machine on --> Enter SP mode and change SP 5-752-001 to "1" --> exit out of "Copy SP" and go into "Scanner SP" and set Scanner SP 1-041-001 to "1" --> if fax is installed then go into "Fax SP" and set Fax SP 3-301-001 to "1" --> Turn machine off and back on.

To downgrade a Smart Op to normal Op - your switching all the SP's back to "0" --> Turn off --> swap op panel --> update to normal op firmware. (have never downgraded one before, so proceed with "downgrading" at your own risk). They don't have anything in the SM about downgrading.
    Ricoh put out a service manual just for the SOP. rfg059499 in North America.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post

FROM THE SERVICE MANUAL:

Wow thank you man...that is awesome information, thanks for taking the time to share that.

Well yesterday was crazy so i should have some time today to mess with it in my shop and see what i find.

I'll keep posted. Only wish i could've taken care of it out on the field Nevertheless...don't want to send this nice machine i have to the parts section of my shop.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

SOLVED

I don't know if I'm elated or pissed...

I had the back covers off...and before I decided to start swapping boards, I gave it one last ditch effort to try firmware one last time...

Shocker...firmware was the fix

I did it differently this time however...instead of doing it one module at a time, as I did in the field with a fresh copy trying to reflash it....I reformatted my SD card, and downloaded just the "Package" onto it.

I never update firmware using package, i don't like it, i like to look at each module and choose what to update....frustratingly though, I must have been missing something from my standard "romdata" folder, I'm not sure though however what it was. Either i was missing something or doing it the "package" way all at once had some effect. I'd say i just had incomplete romdata.

Nothing worse than troubleshooting something with incorrect information, thinking i had upgraded firmware when i hadn't....

Very anti-climatic, but just happy it's fixed. Thanks for all your guys input.

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts
    3503z scanning issue

SOLVED

I had the back covers off...and before I decided to start swapping boards, I gave it one last ditch effort to try firmware one last time...

I did it differently this time however...instead of doing it one module at a time, as I did in the field with a fresh copy trying to reflash it....I reformatted my SD card, and downloaded just the "Package" onto it.

I never update firmware using package, i don't like it, i like to look at each module and choose what to update....frustratingly though, I must have been missing something from my standard "romdata" folder, I'm not sure though however what it was. Either i was missing something or doing it the "package" way all at once had some effect. I'd say i just had incomplete romdata.

Nothing worse than troubleshooting something with incorrect information, thinking i had upgraded firmware when i hadn't....

Remember with any scanning or printing always start with all firmware and if using smart panel download from the correct area as not all the same as sp panel
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

SOLVED

Grats for getting it going.

I will also take this occasion to observe that on the newer machines (IMC, IM, etc) that in general, firmware packages are the only way to update them. There are some modules available individually, but not much. The reason given for this is they have had issues in the past that techs would not keep all the modules up to date on machines and it got to the point that some firmware modules would not play nice with other firmware modules if they were not all up to date. By using a package, it has supposedly been proven that the modules included in the package will play nice with each other.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    I am not familiar to the z model, does it use the same firmware? Where do you find information on the z model?

Is the machine on the same subnet as the other three machines?

Can you ping the server from the machine?
    no SOP IS DIFFERENT FW