Thread: Ricoh SP C400DN

Question Ricoh SP C400DN

HI all.. My printer takes long time to warm up when I first turn it on in the morning. At least 10 minutes before its ready. I can make prints w/o any problem..I do refill my toner tubes with the proper toner.. (so it shows Indendent - supply toner) All developers are good and toner bottles full...Does anyone know why this happens??? THANKS TO ANYONE THAT CAN HELP!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ricoh SP C400DN

Re: Ricoh SP C400DN

Have you ever had a check of the wearing parts such as pcu, fusing unit in the PM counter? toner refilled original? clean ID sensors and thermistors

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh SP C400DN

From your statement that you "refill my toner tubes with the proper toner" it appears that you are reusing old toner bottles and merely reloading them with toner. That is one of the major causes of "Indendent - supply toner." You put a used bottle, especially one that had previously been determined to be out of toner and the toner ID chip will indicate that the bottle is empty. But at the same time the toner end sensor on the toner is reading toner coming out of the bottle. This creates a conflict for the processor. the processor resolves this by deciding that the chip is not a Ricoh chip. The extended time before coming to ready is not warm up time. It is the process control trying to determine whether or not it needs to add toner to any development unit.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh SP C400DN

Set SP5051-001 to "1" and SP5515-009 to "0".
    Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    From your statement that you "refill my toner tubes with the proper toner" it appears that you are reusing old toner bottles and merely reloading them with toner. That is one of the major causes of "Indendent - supply toner." You put a used bottle, especially one that had previously been determined to be out of toner and the toner ID chip will indicate that the bottle is empty. But at the same time the toner end sensor on the toner is reading toner coming out of the bottle. This creates a conflict for the processor. the processor resolves this by deciding that the chip is not a Ricoh chip. The extended time before coming to ready is not warm up time. It is the process control trying to determine whether or not it needs to add toner to any development unit.
    Beat me to it Slim...I thought the same thing when they said that they refill rather than replace.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

When it comes on in the morning, does it sit there for a bit and then start up like it is going to make a print, but takes awhile to spit it out?

If so, what the machine is also doing in addition to what the other posters have mentioned is performing a cold start up (key is you turned it on after it being off overnight). This includes doing a full color calibration and alignment self check, which explains why it takes so much time and also why it comes on and sounds like it is going to do a print. (In essence, it is because it is putting down alignment marks on the belt and then reading them). All this is essential to keeping good quality prints coming out and is normal behavior although 10 minutes seems a bit long to me although if you include the time the machine probably spends processing the information about the toner bottle, I could see it taking that long.

The 400 is an older printer and the newer ones are a lot faster when it comes to warm up and calibration, etc.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh SP C400DN

Quote Originally Posted by Klydon View Post
    When it comes on in the morning, does it sit there for a bit and then start up like it is going to make a print, but takes awhile to spit it out?

If so, what the machine is also doing in addition to what the other posters have mentioned is performing a cold start up (key is you turned it on after it being off overnight). This includes doing a full color calibration and alignment self check, which explains why it takes so much time and also why it comes on and sounds like it is going to do a print. (In essence, it is because it is putting down alignment marks on the belt and then reading them). All this is essential to keeping good quality prints coming out and is normal behavior although 10 minutes seems a bit long to me although if you include the time the machine probably spends processing the information about the toner bottle, I could see it taking that long.

The 400 is an older printer and the newer ones are a lot faster when it comes to warm up and calibration, etc.
    This is normal when it cannot properly read one or more RFID chip. In addition to normal procon it will add toner from each bottle to see if there is toner dropping past the toner end sensors and whether the density goes up. If after doing so it determines that one of the development units is overtoned it then has to print patterns to run out some of the toner.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

THERE are way worse problems with cheap aftermarket toner chips ie,sc codes,reinstall drum unit when drum unit is already installed...
    I myself recycle toner cartridges especially when i get in lease returns missing toner cartridges or asking for toner..
    It saves me big time..
    But of course it took my 35 plus yrs of repairing/rebuilding copiers/printers to navigate what works and what is crap........