SP 8400DN pages with vertical crease

Hi. I have two Ricoh SP 8400 replacing the older SP 8300. The machines are really problematic with some paper brands and configurations but lately I have been getting some wrinkled pages randomly. Sometimes the jobs end perfectly without problems but most of the time some pages end with a vertical crease, sometimes from top to bottom but I get a few where the crease don't reach the border of the paper. I called technical support and the guy replaced all the rollers (at least that's what he told me and I keep the old ones, but I'm not sure if those were all or not) but the problems is even worst than before. I have tested different brands of paper and the problem occurs no matter, the kind of paper, the weight, new or old and no matter what tray I'm using.
    Any idea what could be causing the problem? I hope somebody can help me since I'm really tired of roller changes since bad defective rollers are the only thing the tech support blame for this.
    Here are pics of some pages

a01.jpg a02.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: SP 8400DN pages with vertical crease

Quote Originally Posted by Mihovilovicm View Post
    Hi. I have two Ricoh SP 8400 replacing the older SP 8300. The machines are really problematic with some paper brands and configurations but lately I have been getting some wrinkled pages randomly. Sometimes the jobs end perfectly without problems but most of the time some pages end with a vertical crease, sometimes from top to bottom but I get a few where the crease don't reach the border of the paper. I called technical support and the guy replaced all the rollers (at least that's what he told me and I keep the old ones, but I'm not sure if those were all or not) but the problems is even worst than before. I have tested different brands of paper and the problem occurs no matter, the kind of paper, the weight, new or old and no matter what tray I'm using.
    Any idea what could be causing the problem? I hope somebody can help me since I'm really tired of roller changes since bad defective rollers are the only thing the tech support blame for this.
    Here are pics of some pages

a01.jpg a02.jpg

Thanks in advance.

What "rollers" were replaced?

Creasing is usually caused by the fuser unit. What is the life of this?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post

What "rollers" were replaced?

Creasing is usually caused by the fuser unit. What is the life of this?
    I have attached photos of all the rollers that were replaced last week; basically they were all the gray ones, from the exit of each tray and along the backdoor. The fuser was replaced a month and a half ago but the maintenance kit counter was reseted by the technician when he came to change the rollers. By the way, sorry if I don't give technical names for some parts but I'm just an average user and my skills are more in the configuration side of the machines than in the mechanical parts; I was forced to learn some thing since these model (SP 8400) is really problematic at the point that with less than a week after they were installed, they started to fail because they did't like the brand and type of the paper.

IMG_20200604_134021996.jpg IMG_20200604_134036259.jpg IMG_20200604_134051159.jpg

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Often creasing occurs in the fusing unit because the paper does not line up correctly with the fusing rollers. The fusing entrance guide is designed to be mounted in two different positions to help compensate.

With creasing...you need to gently pull the crease apart to see whether or not there is printing inside the crease.
    If there is then the creasing is from the fuser.
    If there is blank areas with no print then the crease is BEFORE the fusing unit...most likely registration.

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    With creasing...you need to gently pull the crease apart to see whether or not there is printing inside the crease.
    If there is then the creasing is from the fuser.
    If there is blank areas with no print then the crease is BEFORE the fusing unit...most likely registration.

When the page is printed in duplex, there is printing inside the crease but disappear if I rub it with my finger or a soft cloth. On the other side of the page, there is printing over the crease and stays in it even if I rub it.
    I think that could be a fuser problem but I can't understand why my second machine has the same problem, but less frequent, and the fuser kit was replaced just on last week, just a few days after the rollers were replaced.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

When the page is printed in duplex, there is printing inside the crease but disappear if I rub it with my finger or a soft cloth. On the other side of the page, there is printing over the crease and stays in it even if I rub it.
    I think that could be a fuser problem but I can't understand why my second machine has the same problem, but less frequent, and the fuser kit was replaced just on last week, just a few days after the rollers were replaced.
    That sounds like the crease on the duplex print occurred during the second pass through the fusing unit. If it had occurred during the first pass there would be no toner inside the crease on one of the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    That sounds like the crease on the duplex print occurred during the second pass through the fusing unit. If it had occurred during the first pass there would be no toner inside the crease on one of the sides.
    I thought the same but it happen with one side printing too. And, by the way, now one of the printers is leaving tonner on the border of some pages... I don't know if it's a problem with my two machines or the model is really bad since they don't have even a year since they were installed.

I thought the same but it happen with one side printing too. And, by the way, now one of the printers is leaving tonner on the border of some pages... I don't know if it's a problem with my two machines or the model is really bad since they don't have even a year since they were installed.
    The "Toner" at the top and bottom of pages sounds like the pcdu needs changing...unrelated to your original issue.
    As I said before...on single sided printing check whether or not there is printing INSIDE the crease.
    Single sided copies are the easiest way to confirm where the crease is coming from.
    We can sit here all day telling an end user (YOU) what to look for but you really need to get the technician back for more trouble shooting,