Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

SP 4510DN with SC899

Hello, I'm still alive.
    I'm doing remote assist at the moment and I have a customer who has an SP 4510DN which throws an SC899 code most days. The firmware is fully up to date, IT have reloaded the print driver several times, and it is the latest, model specific, PCL driver, on a TCP/IP port. The customer does not print direct from web pages, and there doesn't appear to be any particular print job that causes the issue.
    This customer is quite happy resetting the device herself whenever this happens, and they are not allowed visitors on site during lockdown, so I said I would do some research to try to find a solution to this problem, either for their IT to do, or the engineer when we are allowed back on site.
    Thanks
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    SP 4510DN with SC899

Re: SP 4510DN with SC899

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    Hello, I'm still alive.
    I'm doing remote assist at the moment and I have a customer who has an SP 4510DN which throws an SC899 code most days. The firmware is fully up to date, IT have reloaded the print driver several times, and it is the latest, model specific, PCL driver, on a TCP/IP port. The customer does not print direct from web pages, and there doesn't appear to be any particular print job that causes the issue.
    This customer is quite happy resetting the device herself whenever this happens, and they are not allowed visitors on site during lockdown, so I said I would do some research to try to find a solution to this problem, either for their IT to do, or the engineer when we are allowed back on site.
    Thanks
    try to use another ip address or to change network cable or to use it with the usb port a few days to rule out a connection problem, otherwise it could be the electronic board.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Is it a 4510 equipped with a HDD? Could be the spool data is getting corrupted due to a duff drive or RAM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    SP 4510DN with SC899

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Is it a 4510 equipped with a HDD? Could be the spool data is getting corrupted due to a duff drive or RAM.
    1+ Yeah I have seen SC899 on other models caused by a bad HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    This is actually a really good call, unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a way of me seeing if it has the optional HDD, I have looked through the entire history to see if anyone has mentioned it in a comment. I may try to contact the account manager to see if this is the case. We won't be able to send anyone until after lockdown ends anyway, but I did tell the customer that I would do some research to see if I can find a potential cause. Luckily the customer is quite happy with resetting it every time the error occurs
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Quote Originally Posted by GIUBOSS View Post
    try to use another ip address or to change network cable or to use it with the usb port a few days to rule out a connection problem, otherwise it could be the electronic board.
    Looking through the history of this device, the IP address has been changed in the past, they also have other devices on site which do not have the same issue, so I do think it is related to this printer.
    I'm not going to be attending this site, I've just been dealing with the customer over the phone as I'm on the help desk for the time being. I'm just trying to find a potential resolution for when an engineer is allowed back on site

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    SP 4510DN with SC899

How is Kent? Hopefully the truckers are getting though ok via Dover now.

If you remote in you can view the WIM & see if the printer had the optional HDD installed?

Every time i've had intermittent SC899 updating the firmware resolves the issue. But I see you have checked/updated firmware, I guess you updated it remotely since you can't attend site?

I'm sure you would have checked this.

Printer Version 1.14
    Symptom corrected:
    - When attempting to preview a large-size JPEG image from
    "Print/Scan (Memory Storage Device)", an SC899 error occurs.
    - When printing from AirPrint, the paper weight "Plain 2 (75 to 81g/square metre)"
    is out of the search target of "Auto Tray Select" even if
    "Plain Paper or Recycled Paper" is specified in the job.
    Last edited by copier tech; 01-06-2021 at 06:41 PM.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    How is Kent? Hopefully the truckers are getting though ok via Dover now.

If you remote in you can view the WIM & see if the printer had the optional HDD installed?

Every time i've had intermittent SC899 updating the firmware resolves the issue. But I see you have checked/updated firmware, I guess you updated it remotely since you can't attend site?

I'm sure you would have checked this.

Printer Version 1.14
    Symptom corrected:
    - When attempting to preview a large-size JPEG image from
    "Print/Scan (Memory Storage Device)", an SC899 error occurs.
    - When printing from AirPrint, the paper weight "Plain 2 (75 to 81g/square metre)"
    is out of the search target of "Auto Tray Select" even if
    "Plain Paper or Recycled Paper" is specified in the job.
    I've pretty much been stuck indoors since the first lockdown, so the traffic hasn't affected me, also, I'm much closer to London than Dover, I have far more problems with the Dartford crossing.

All I've done up to now if speak with the customer, but it had a call logged at the end of November for an engineer to attend as this is an ongoing issue, the engineer updated all firmware, and checked the driver, etc. on that visit, there has been no new firmware released since then.

I wouldn't be able to remote onto the printer, but I may be able to remote onto one of their computers and view the WIM, there is only 2 people in the office at the moment, and the lady I've spoken to twice this week is very friendly. My gut feeling is that there is an HDD installed, and it's that causing the problems.
    At least this gives me something to point someone in the direction of next time they can go in, it makes me feel better that it doesn't just look like all we want to do is tell them to reboot, and then forget about them.

Product specialst support marvin-vegan's Avatar

SC899 is always related to printer driver/network controller firmware. Mostly for all devices, there are new firmwares which should solve that issue but since this code could be started by very various types of jobs, itīs nearly impossible for vendor to create the fix for all these jobs.

It could help to replace the driver, there are some possibilites: you can use from this site: SP 4510DN/4520DN Downloads | Ricoh Global

PCL5e this is the oldest core with the most compatible features vs oper.systems
    PCL6 the newest core, new design of user layout. Some jobs may fail (1%) due to different processing
    PS this is for colour copiers the most precise driver. For graphical studios. In B/W machines much of features will not be used. May be slower. But I would give a try.
    Universal printer driver - should have most of features, but could cause troubles in some cases
    Universal printer driver V4 - same as above, different core

This SC code is mostly caused by some element in printer job what the engine could not process. Could be even the font. So you can set the default option to print everything as raster (Bitmap). It is the switch in the printer features (driver).

And one last thing, I have in depository temporary firmware for these machines with description SC899 - when printing direct PDF files. So it is the PDF firmware for M1595762C, it is not officially released, so it is fully on your responsibility to upload it to machine, but worked for me.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SP 4510DN with SC899

Quote Originally Posted by marvin-vegan View Post
    SC899 is always related to printer driver/network controller firmware.
    Wrong. SC899 can also relate to the System/Copy firmware. Example MP C4500/C5500 SC899 may occur when the user selects "Startup Settings" inside the Extended Features screen in the WIM interface. Corrected by version 2.00.3; SC899 may occur if the operator interrupts a Copy job, changes the job settings, and then resumes the job. v2.01; SC899 occurs when the machine enters or recovers from Energy Saver mode, v2.11. Just to mention a few.

Scanner firmware - SC899 may occur when scanning to a External Memory Device through the Media Slot.

FAX firmware

NetworkDocBox

Network Support

This one has to do with print but required updating Network Support - When simultaneously printing from AppleTalk on a Mac and a protocol other than
    AppleTalk in Windows, an SC899 error might occur.

Browser Firmware

And that was just from searching the 11/21/2013 firmware history for one model series before it got to the PCL firmware.