Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Product specialst support marvin-vegan's Avatar

Re: SP 4510DN with SC899

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Wrong. SC899 can also relate to the System/Copy firmware.
    When I stated "SC899 is always related to printer driver/network controller firmware." I meant:

This error is related to: 1/ PRINTER DRIVER = means, if you change the printer driver as I said, for example from PCL6 to PCL5, error might vanish.

2/ network (firmware) - means some of the firmwares named "network support", "printers", and so.

3/ controler firmware - means the SYSTEM/COPY named firmware.

Do not be so harsh to correct others, sometimes it is just a different language right?

And because this model has no scanner (since it's printer) I did not mentioned the scanner firmware. But yes, in some cases, for example for MP C305SF the first firmwares that come out from vendor sometimes end up at SC899/SC819 when scanning at certain parametrs (duplex, JPEG, 300DPI,etc). Corrected by SYSTEM/COPY firmware again (even if caused by scanner app - since it's part of SYSTEM/COPY fw)

Above all, this SC can be often caused by faulty controller itself, faulty NVRAM or even DDRAM. If you use extended features = another possible cause of trouble. In my previous response I tried to say what is the most likely the cause of the problem as of my experience.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SP 4510DN with SC899

Quote Originally Posted by marvin-vegan View Post
    Do not be so harsh to correct others, sometimes it is just a different language right?
    Do not be like a butt hurt liberal just because someone corrects you.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

This will sound weird, but does the machine have a Java card in it? I’m not sure it’s an option for this model.

Even if it’s not being used, it can cause SC899 codes.

I had a bunch of 5210s at one account, throwing SC899s, and updating the Java to the current version fixed them all. Java wasn’t being used, but they all had the option installed for future expansion.

Note that you can easily check for the presence of the HDD by seeing if Document Server shows up under the WIM. If it’s not there, no HDD is present.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

SC899 is always related to printer driver/network controller firmware. Mostly for all devices, there are new firmwares which should solve that issue but since this code could be started by very various types of jobs, it´s nearly impossible for vendor to create the fix for all these jobs.

It could help to replace the driver, there are some possibilites: you can use from this site: SP 4510DN/4520DN Downloads | Ricoh Global

PCL5e this is the oldest core with the most compatible features vs oper.systems
    PCL6 the newest core, new design of user layout. Some jobs may fail (1%) due to different processing
    PS this is for colour copiers the most precise driver. For graphical studios. In B/W machines much of features will not be used. May be slower. But I would give a try.
    Universal printer driver - should have most of features, but could cause troubles in some cases
    Universal printer driver V4 - same as above, different core

This SC code is mostly caused by some element in printer job what the engine could not process. Could be even the font. So you can set the default option to print everything as raster (Bitmap). It is the switch in the printer features (driver).

And one last thing, I have in depository temporary firmware for these machines with description SC899 - when printing direct PDF files. So it is the PDF firmware for M1595762C, it is not officially released, so it is fully on your responsibility to upload it to machine, but worked for me.
    Hello fellow vegan

I won't be going into this customer as I am currently doing remote assist, and it is out of my area even if I went back into the field, but the firmware and driver have all been addressed by the technicians in that area. When I get a few minutes spare I will call this customer and explain how to print off a config sheet and check for the optional HDD, if there is one, then, once lockdown ends, and they are allowing visitors to site again, the technician who visits can try disconnecting the HDD to see if that resolves the issue.

And, please continue to be helpful, and ignore any rudeness
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    This will sound weird, but does the machine have a Java card in it? I’m not sure it’s an option for this model.

Even if it’s not being used, it can cause SC899 codes.

I had a bunch of 5210s at one account, throwing SC899s, and updating the Java to the current version fixed them all. Java wasn’t being used, but they all had the option installed for future expansion.

Note that you can easily check for the presence of the HDD by seeing if Document Server shows up under the WIM. If it’s not there, no HDD is present.
    That's not a bad call either, I just checked, Java is an option for this model, I haven't, personally, seen SC899 caused by Java, it's usually been SC997 in my experience, but I don't doubt that you've seen it. I don't believe they are using any software solution, but I will check. And I've just looked at when the latest Java firmware was released, about 2 weeks before this became an issue , and the last technician didn't update Java. Of course, that doesn't mean Java is installed, but we now have a good starting point.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Haven read the whole story here but recently I have SC899 issues if the customers print PDF files from firefox internal pdf viewer or MacOS "preview" viewer. Usually Firmware doesn't really fix print-job related SC899 problems even if the Firmware changlelog states otherwise.

if the customer uses more printers perhaps you can swap 2 of them among each other to see if the problem sticks with the place or with the printer.

Red face Re: SP 4510DN with SC899

Concerning the HDD, I have attached two guides which you can check on call or remote assist. If the right side of the cover is bulky - HDD is presented. This is not the default option, it has to be added manually when installing HDD.

IMG_4362.JPG

Also, if you have access to Web image monitor, printers with installed HDD have more functions, especially stored jobs as you see at screenshots (hope after click they will fully enlarge : )

HDD.jpg

And I must agree with JAVA VM card, I´ve seen some machines freezing in standby mode when card installed. After removed, never froze again.

So maybe wait until technician response, after driver experimental replacement. Good thing would be to pinpoint whether this SC code occur after some certain print job (f.e. printing web pages of e-shop containing flash, or other dynamic elements: )

And thanks for support too, I am not fan of rude answers when actually trying to help

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    That's not a bad call either, I just checked, Java is an option for this model, I haven't, personally, seen SC899 caused by Java, it's usually been SC997 in my experience, but I don't doubt that you've seen it. I don't believe they are using any software solution, but I will check. And I've just looked at when the latest Java firmware was released, about 2 weeks before this became an issue , and the last technician didn't update Java. Of course, that doesn't mean Java is installed, but we now have a good starting point.
    A bit more detail on my previous post...my customer had about 400 SP5210s scattered around the country. About 1/3 of them had the issue, maybe less. They were all installed over a 6 month or so timeframe.

We went nuts for over a month trying to find the problem, updating and re-updating firmware, swapping boards, etc...

It took a while to realize that they all had Java cards, because the plan was to eventually run a few possible different softwares on them. While we felt that removing the cards was an option, we chose against it, as the cards getting lost would be unavoidable. (We all know how that works.) Keeping them in place (if possible) made much more sense.

The Java was only one version behind at the time.

We updated a few of the worst offenders, and the problem disappeared on them. We eventually updated the entire fleet wil no issues, although getting that many machines done was a bit daunting. Fortunately, we were able to do it all remotely.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SP 4510DN with SC899

When I stated "SC899 is always related to printer driver/network controller firmware." I meant:

This error is related to: 1/ PRINTER DRIVER = means, if you change the printer driver as I said, for example from PCL6 to PCL5, error might vanish.

2/ network (firmware) - means some of the firmwares named "network support", "printers", and so.

3/ controler firmware - means the SYSTEM/COPY named firmware.

And because this model has no scanner (since it's printer) I did not mentioned the scanner firmware. But yes, in some cases, for example for MP C305SF the first firmwares that come out from vendor sometimes end up at SC899/SC819 when scanning at certain parametrs (duplex, JPEG, 300DPI,etc). Corrected by SYSTEM/COPY firmware again (even if caused by scanner app - since it's part of SYSTEM/COPY fw)

Above all, this SC can be often caused by faulty controller itself, faulty NVRAM or even DDRAM. If you use extended features = another possible cause of trouble. In my previous response I tried to say what is the most likely the cause of the problem as of my experience.
    The problem is that in your first post you stated "SC899 is always related to printer driver/network controller firmware" which is not true. You did not say that it applied to a printer only model. I provided proof that there are other reasons that can cause SC899.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The problem is that in your first post you stated "SC899 is always related to printer driver/network controller firmware" which is not true. You did not say that it applied to a printer only model. I provided proof that there are other reasons that can cause SC899.
    I think I explained enough what I meant. I answered the questions stated in first place - related to printer model. If you want to correct people here to show them you are something better, serve yourself. If it makes you feel better.

Not that hard to search through the Ricoh knowledge base and type: "SC899". It will give you about 427answers and occurrences of that word in every bulletin, service manual description, firmware release notes and whatsoever.. Yes, monkey can copypaste all those answers as you did, correct.

Snímek obrazovky 2021-01-12 v 19.35.10.jpg

But I thought the practice and more relevant answers are better then "theory based on general full text search".. See the other posts, people share their own personal experience covering real cases in field.
    Last edited by marvin-vegan; 01-13-2021 at 05:07 AM. Reason: grammar