Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SP 4510DN with SC899

Re: SP 4510DN with SC899

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    Haven read the whole story here but recently I have SC899 issues if the customers print PDF files from firefox internal pdf viewer or MacOS "preview" viewer. Usually Firmware doesn't really fix print-job related SC899 problems even if the Firmware changlelog states otherwise.
    I love Firefox but I hate their internal PDF viewer. Same with most browsers. There are a number of features of Acrobat that you lose using a browser.

if the customer uses more printers perhaps you can swap 2 of them among each other to see if the problem sticks with the place or with the printer.
    We had a problem with a MP C3503 out at the Hyundai Kia West Coast Proving grounds. They had 4 of them but only one with a problem, the one outside the Engineering office. Our junior tech got the to agree to swap that one another one, including swapping the IP addresses. The problem stayed with the location. The only explanation we could come with was it had to do with an font character that the C3503 could not resolve. It only occurred when there were engineers visiting from South Korea.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SP 4510DN with SC899

Quote Originally Posted by marvin-vegan View Post
    I think I explained enough what I meant. I answered the questions stated in first place - related to printer model. If you want to correct people here to show them you are something better, server yourself. If it makes you feel better.

Not that hard to search through the Ricoh knowledge base and type: "SC899". It will give you about 427answers and occurrences of that word in every bulletin, service manual description, firmware release notes and whatsoever.. Yes, monkey can copypaste all those answers as you did, correct.

Attachment 47841

But I thought the practice and more relevant answers are better then "theory based on general full text search".. See the other posts, people share their own personal experience covering real cases in field.
    You still did not specify in your first post that you were referring to printer only models. And you definitely did not specify "with this model." Words have meaning and the word always that you used means always. It is an absolute. Your reaction to my first reply is what was rude.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    SP 4510DN with SC899

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Your reaction to my first reply is what was rude.
    +1

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

The problem is that in your first post you stated "SC899 is always related to printer driver/network controller firmware" which is not true. You did not say that it applied to a printer only model. I provided proof that there are other reasons that can cause SC899.
    The model in the title is a printer only model, otherwise it would have been SP 4510SF, so it didn’t need clarifying.

The constant bitching, and trying to prove that you’re better than others is one reason I’ve kept away so long. Surely everyone is here for similar reasons, why can’t everyone just get along and stop with the nastiness. Life is too short.
    This is aimed at lots on this site, I’m not pointing fingers.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SP 4510DN with SC899

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    The model in the title is a printer only model, otherwise it would have been SP 4510SF, so it didn’t need clarifying.

The constant bitching, and trying to prove that you’re better than others is one reason I’ve kept away so long. Surely everyone is here for similar reasons, why can’t everyone just get along and stop with the nastiness. Life is too short.
    This is aimed at lots on this site, I’m not pointing fingers.
    I was not trying to prove anything. I just felt that marvin-vegan using the absolute "always" could possibly mislead a junior tech. Maybe not on this thread but continued use of absolutes in the future might. Call me a grammar cop if you want but I have a lot of family, friends and former Army Reserve members who h ave hammered me on grammar, so it has been a learned trait.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Debs, Can you run an SMC report, and look at SP7403?

It should show the source of the last error code.

If it was Java related, it would show “SDK”, along with the code.

Worth a look.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Product specialst support marvin-vegan's Avatar

I was not trying to prove anything. I just felt that marvin-vegan using the absolute "always" could possibly mislead a junior tech. Maybe not on this thread but continued use of absolutes in the future might. Call me a grammar cop if you want but I have a lot of family, friends and former Army Reserve members who h ave hammered me on grammar, so it has been a learned trait.
    In our country, we call it "grammatical nazi" Don't take it personally though Keep in mind, I am not a native speaker. Just guy trying to help

Your reaction to my first reply is what was rude.
    I apologize if I touch your feelings.

I was not trying to prove anything. I just felt that marvin-vegan using the absolute "always" could possibly mislead a junior tech. Maybe not on this thread but continued use of absolutes in the future might.
    OOuu kay, next time I will try to be more precise. "Always" meant, "always for me", "always for printer models". I agree that word "always" is sometimes misleading, but remember, this is just discussion web, engineers of all the world trying to give their best knowledge, so it will never be 100% objective, most of times subjective point of view of author. These pages are merely a blend of free thoughts, not official vendor support. If somebody here suggests a possible cause of problem and subsequent solution (worked in author's case), your junior tech will try that mentioned procedure as one of attempts to solve the problem. If that would not work, he will then move to another workaround and so on. Classical procedures, then you try some more solutions, eliminating those nonsense ones at first but when you run out of solutions, you will start to test those non-likely to be solutions

And for Debs, thank you again for your support! I hope you will success with some of these helps, please let us know

I think it's good to support newcomers, encourage them for posting and discussing and not to insult them (because somebody non-intentionally touched your feeling due to different language, after all this is international website, people from all around the world meet here. Engineer from U.S. can have same problems as guy in old continent ) So we should find the way how to communicate with each other, not looking for differences (even in language). Especially for people hanging here for years, defending their territory as something belonging only to them (no offense, please I beg you, do not react to this comment)

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SP 4510DN with SC899

In the US the term "Grammar Nazi" is also used but I did not f eel the term Nazi would be an appropriate term to use.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

I love Firefox but I hate their internal PDF viewer. Same with most browsers. There are a number of features of Acrobat that you lose using a browser.

We had a problem with a MP C3503 out at the Hyundai Kia West Coast Proving grounds. They had 4 of them but only one with a problem, the one outside the Engineering office. Our junior tech got the to agree to swap that one another one, including swapping the IP addresses. The problem stayed with the location. The only explanation we could come with was it had to do with an font character that the C3503 could not resolve. It only occurred when there were engineers visiting from South Korea.
    Always nice if the customer is coorperative when it comes to trying such things out. Back then most printers did just put out ASCII garbage or PCL Error Messages when a printjob couldn't be handled. Oftenyou had to tick some sort of "render true type fonts as bitmap" option in the driver and you where good to go.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Debs, Can you run an SMC report, and look at SP7403?

It should show the source of the last error code.

If it was Java related, it would show “SDK”, along with the code.

Worth a look.
    I won't be going on site, I'm doing remote assist at the moment, and it's not in my area if I was in the field. I just want to find possible solutions for when visitors are allowed back on site, so I can point the engineer in, hopefully, the right direction
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't