Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP2851 can receive faxes but not send

Re: Ricoh MP2851 can receive faxes but not send

Quote Originally Posted by KeviM View Post
    What's the 9 for ?

Some phone systems require you to dial 9 to connect to an outside line.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Your calling the fax number is not going to do anything for you. The complaint is that it is not sending.

As Billy said you need to go to the machine and select fax > on hook, and you should hear a modem sound.
    1. If not, try connecting a butt set to the line jack and see if you have a dial tone there. If not, the problem if with the dial tone provider.
    2. If you do, try dialing 9. That should break dial tone. If it reorders dial tone, the the machine in behind a PBX.
    3. Try dialing you cell phone.

Worst case scenario is you will need to replace the fax board. I had one call where both the phone line was bad, no dial tone, and the fax board was bad.
    Thanks for this. Should be a big help on Monday.

Btw, that call you mentioned where the phone line was bad, no dial tone and fax board was bad, it must have been hectic

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Some phone systems require you to dial 9 to connect to an outside line.
    Thank you Sir. In South Africa its 0. We dial 0 to get an outside sometimes. Depending on the telephone systems. I will definitely try that.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    have you tried it yourself or listened to the line? No, you may have to be a tech and visit client.

Lol 😆 Yes sir. I'll have to go into tech mode

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Thank you Sir. In South Africa its 0. We dial 0 to get an outside sometimes. Depending on the telephone systems. I will definitely try that.

I never worked a phone line/fax in South Africa. It's on my to-do list, tho.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for this. Should be a big help on Monday.

Btw, that call you mentioned where the phone line was bad, no dial tone and fax board was bad, it must have been hectic
    Yeah, with the bad phone line I really could not test the machine. After the phone company fixed the line I got a call back. Then I discovered that the fax board was not detecting dial tone. Luckily I had a machine in the office I could borrow a fax board from.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Yeah, with the bad phone line I really could not test the machine. After the phone company fixed the line I got a call back. Then I discovered that the fax board was not detecting dial tone. Luckily I had a machine in the office I could borrow a fax board from.
    Hectic. .. if you don't mind me asking, what did the customer say about the problem taking so long to resolve?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Hectic. .. if you don't mind me asking, what did the customer say about the problem taking so long to resolve?
    The biggest delay was getting the phone company out. The customer also had 6 other machines in the main office and 3 out in the machine shop they could use.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

When I serviced faxes, I always carried a cheap (under $10) phone with me to test fax lines. A quick and dirty tool.

A few years ago, I found a very inexpensive butt set online that was about $15 dollars or so, (good ones are expen$ive), and it had alligator clips to make it easy to connect, as well as the standard RJ-11 plug and jack.

More recently I moved on to supporting fax servers. While quite a few did not use standard analog lines, the majority of them still did.

I later picked up a USB-connected modem for my notebook (about $35, as built-in modems disappeared quite a while back), and that was the best investment of all. It came with some really awesome fax software. That allowed me to literally carry my own fax machine with me that could send and receive. Certainly not conclusive, but it helped me out tremendously. Highly recommended. (BTW...Don't get carried away with any fancy features. The more generic, the better.)
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The biggest delay was getting the phone company out. The customer also had 6 other machines in the main office and 3 out in the machine shop they could use.
    Same here in South Africa. The phone company can take anywhere from 1 week to 6 weeks to come out and in that time the customer is going crazy.