Ricoh PRO 8120s - J032 Sensor Dead.

Hello everyone.
    (I am starting my first topic. If by chance I am not being so clear in my posts, I will strive to improve with each new post).

The problem I have today is in a constant jam in the sensor J032 - PTB SENSOR. (Sensor located between the conveyor belts. Located between the PTR and the FUSING).

What precedes this problem.
    Preventive maintenance was carried out on the transport set and the registration set. This maintenance was just cleaning. Nothing was changed.

When turning on the equipment, no errors or codes are reported on the screen. Until that moment, I was calm and started to print the works. But when the sheet reaches the PTB sensor, code J032 appears on the screen. At that moment the nightmare begins.
    When I remove the paper and close the front doors, the J032 disappears from the screen and printing starts again, until the sheet stops in the same place and remains in this infinite cycle of jams.

TESTS:
    Unfortunately I couldn't find the test for J032 in any SP. I soon decided to cause a deliberate jam, and to my surprise the sensor cannot read the paper standing there. My first thought was that the J032 sensor had burned out. I changed this sensor with the sensor of another PRO 8120s. And the result was the same.
    The J032 follows with 12 wires for the CN276 LOCATED ON THE DRB BOARD.
    I did a continuity test for the 12 wires. NO WIRE WAS BROKEN. I soon imagined that the plaque might have burned. But before changing the board, there are 3 other sensors that are together with the JO32 on the CN276. Of the 4 sensors only J032 is not working.
    * Would it be possible for a single sensor (J032) inside the CN276 to have such a defect? At first I imagined that if there was anything burned on the board, the CN276 would leave all the sensors that are in this defective harness.

To answer the question about the board, I mounted the DRB on another machine. And that card on other equipment worked correctly.
    (RESULT: THE ERROR IS NOT ON THE PLATE, NOT ON THE WHIP, NOT ON THE SENSOR J032) But it still seems to be "dead".

* Another test
    I changed the complete set. (Set that needs two people to remove from the machine)
    In this test I noticed that SENSOR J032 was dead on the other machine as well.
    (This defect that may have been placed unintentionally during maintenance, is fixed in this SET)

I carried out a thorough check of an inverted whip, or something that could bring about this problem. I haven't identified anything so far.

NOTE: Only this J032 sensor is "dead".

I will be cheering for help.

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Lucas Ccero; 02-07-2021 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Tradutor - PORTUGUESE TO ENGLISH

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh PRO 8120s - J032 Sensor Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ccero View Post
    Olá a todos.
    (Estou iniciando meu primeiro tópico. Se por acaso eu não estiver sendo tão claro nas minhas colocações, vou me esforçar para melhorar a cada nova postagem).

O problema que tenho hoje é um atolamento constante no sensor J032 - PTB SENSOR. (Sensor que fica entre as correias de transporte. Localizados entre o PTR e a FUSÃO).

Ações que antecederam esse problema.
    Foram feitas manutenções preventivas no conjunto de transporte e no conjunto de registro. Essas manutenções foram apenas de limpeza. Nada foi substitu*dos.

Ao ligar o equipamento nenhum erro ou código é informado na tela. Até esse momento fiquei tranquilo e iniciei a impressão dos trabalhos. Mas quando a folha chega até o PTB sensor o código J032 surge na tela. É nesse momento que o pesadelo começa.
    Quando retiro o papel e fecho as portas frontais, o J032 some da tela e a impressão começa novamente, até a folha parar no mesmo lugar e ficar nesse ciclo infinito de atolamentos.

AÇÕES E TESTES:
    Infelizmente não consegui encontrar em nenhum SP o teste para o J032. Logo resolvi causar um atolamento proposital, e para minha surpresa o sensor não consegue ler o papel ali parado. Meu primeiro pensamento foi de que o sensor J032 havia queimado. Fiz a troca desse sensor com o sensor de outra PRO 8120s. E o resultado foi o mesmo.
    O J032 segue com 12 fios para o CN276 LOCALIZADO NA PLACA DRB.
    Fiz teste de continuidade para os 12 fios. NENHUM FIO ESTAVA QUEBRADO. Logo imaginei que a placa poderia ter queimado. Mas antes de trocar a placa, existem outros 3 sensores que estão juntos com o JO32 no CN276. Dos 4 sensores apenas o J032 não está funcionando.
    *Seria poss*vel um único sensor (J032) dentro do CN276 apresentar tal defeito? Em um primeiro momento eu imaginei que se houvesse alguma coisa queimada na placa, o CN276 iria deixar todos os sensores que estão nesse chicote com defeito.

Para tirar a dúvida sobre a placa, eu montei a DRB em outra máquina. E essa placa em outro equipamento funcionou corretamente.
    (RESULTADO: O ERRO NÃO ESTÁ NA PLACA, NÃO ESTA NO CHICOTE, NÃO ESTA NO SENSOR J032) Mas ainda sim ele parece estar "morto".

*Outro teste
    Mudei o conjunto completo. (Conjunto esse que é necessário duas pessoas para retirar de máquina)
    Nesse teste pude notar que SENSOR J032 ficou morto na outra máquina também.
    ( Esse defeito que pode ter sido colocado de forma não proposital durante a manutenção, esta fixo nesse CONJUNTO)

Realizei de forma minuciosa a verificação de algum chicote invertido, ou algo que possa trazer esse problema. Não identifiquei nada até o momento.

OBS: Somente esse sensor J032 está "morto".

how about you translate that for us that only speak ENGLISH

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    how about you translate that for us that only speak ENGLISH
    Thanks for the tip

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for the tip
    And still didn't do it Ricoh PRO 8120s - J032 Sensor Dead.Ricoh PRO 8120s - J032 Sensor Dead.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

The PTB sensor should be a photo reflective sensor located in the bottom of the PTB assembly between the 2 belts just after the PTB entry roller. There is a single 3 lead connector at the front of the PTB assembly that goes to it. The input check table for this model links various sensors together but with no reference as to exactly what SP each sensor will be found on. Each one of the SP codes will be an 8 bit binary with each bit being a different sensor. Whether is it Paper Feed 1 to Paper Feed 10, your guess is as good as mine. I would look for the sensor being loose from its mount or on of the belts out of position.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

If you place a sheet of paper over the sensor and then turn the power on, does the machine see the paper and report a jam? If it does, then I guess the sensor is working.

Another way would be to let it jam, then open and close the doors without removing the jam, does it see the paper still over the sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The PTB sensor should be a photo reflective sensor located in the bottom of the PTB assembly between the 2 belts just after the PTB entry roller. There is a single 3 lead connector at the front of the PTB assembly that goes to it. The input check table for this model links various sensors together but with no reference as to exactly what SP each sensor will be found on. Each one of the SP codes will be an 8 bit binary with each bit being a different sensor. Whether is it Paper Feed 1 to Paper Feed 10, your guess is as good as mine. I would look for the sensor being loose from its mount or on of the belts out of position.

Thank you very much for leaving your comment!The location of the PTB sensor is correct. It is exactly between the two straps.
    Unfortunately I did not understand why the manual was not so clear about the BIT that identifies the PTB SENSOR.
    There is an interesting point that I was able to verify today inside the BIT in SP mode.

In other equipment that is working correctly I have the following BITs:
    * With the front door open:
    SP 5803 153 = 0000 1111
    * With the front door closed:
    SP 5803 153 = 0000 1011

* When I purposely leave a paper in the PTB SENSOR and close the door.
    SP 5803 153 = 000 1111 and J032 APPEARS ON THE SCREEN. (EVERYTHING NORMAL)
    This is the way I believe to be the right one.

Now no equipment that features this PTB SENSOR DEAD.
    SP 5803 153 = 0000 11 ”0” 1 (THERE IS A BIT THAT IS DIFFERENT)
    SP 5803 153 = 0000 10 ”0” 1 (THERE IS A BIT THAT IS DIFFERENT)

I wonder if this BIT “0” may be responsible for leaving PTB DEAD.

Another important detail:
    I read it on the connector it has and wires. I have the following values: 5.12V and 5.08V (exactly the same values ​​as the other equipment that is working)
    The PTB sensor receives signal from the board, but it seems that it cannot send a signal back.
    What could kill a sensor like that?

I confess that this real is more boring than I imagined bol.
    Today I decided to put the whole set on the service bench and open everything. So I can check all the wires and connectors.
    I will try to post some pictures.

Last edited by Lucas Ccero; 02-09-2021 at 11:37 AM. Reason: font color

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    If you place a sheet of paper over the sensor and then turn the power on, does the machine see the paper and report a jam? If it does, then I guess the sensor is working.

Another way would be to let it jam, then open and close the doors without removing the jam, does it see the paper still over the sensor?

Your thought was one of my first tests that I did.When I place a sheet on the PTB SENSOR, nothing happens. The equipment makes its adjustments as if the sheet was not standing there. But a curious fact is that when I send a print, the sheet for PTB SENSOR and PAPER TIMMING SENSOR. And the J-032 appears on the screen. When I open the doors to remove the paper, the jam disappears from the screen and the machine sends the print again. And it stays in that endless jam cycle.

Interesting point:
    PAPER TIMMING SENSOR comes first than PTB SENSOR, so I disconnected this sensor and put the machine to print. The sheet stops at the PAPER TIMMING SENSOR and the J-031 appears on the screen. (I TESTED THIS TEST TO CONFIRM IF THE SENSOR BEFORE THE PTB SENSOR WOULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF IT WAS NOT CONNECTED)
    I can say that I see all the sensors that are in the CN276 working, except the PTB SENSOR that does not seem to carry a signal to the plate.
    (Note: The PTB sensor when reading the multimeter receives: 5.12V and 5.08V.

DESCRIPTION:
    CN276 = PTB SENSOR / PAPER TIMMING SENSOR / SHIFT UNIT HP SENSOR / REGISTRATION ROLLER HP SENSOR.

I left other comments for the SLIMSLOB user.
    I think you will find it interesting too.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

In other equipment that is working correctly I have the following BITs:
    SP 5803 153 = 0000 1111
    SP 5803 153 = 0000 1011

* When I purposely leave a paper in the PTB SENSOR and close the door.
    SP 5803 153 = 000 1111 and J032 APPEARS ON THE SCREEN. (EVERYTHING NORMAL)
    This is the way I believe to be the right one.

Now on equipment that features this PTB SENSOR DEAD.
    SP 5803 153 = 0000 11 0 1 (THERE IS A BIT THAT IS DIFFERENT)
    SP 5803 153 = 0000 10 0 1 (THERE IS A BIT THAT IS DIFFERENT)

I wonder if this BIT 0 may be responsible for leaving PTB DEAD.
    From that information I would inclined to say yes. Now if Ricoh documented what each of those bits represented in terms of switches/sensors or possible some other component you would know exactly what to replace.

Smile Re: Ricoh PRO 8120s - J032 Sensor Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    From that information I would inclined to say yes. Now if Ricoh documented what each of those bits represented in terms of switches/sensors or possible some other component you would know exactly what to replace.
    Error resolved.

I managed to get the PTB sensor working again.

Note:
    The values ​​of the BITs that were diverging between two machines, made no difference.
    I did the complete inversion with another set of other equipment, and the BITs have not changed.
    So, I disassembled the entire record set that had a PTB sensor with a problem. I confirmed all connectors and wires. I used the multimeter to confirm continuity. I mapped carefully and retraced my steps in detail.

Conclusion:
    In the initial maintenance, something was certainly pending.
    *But I can say that there was no damaged inverted connector or wire.
    *Connector with poor fit: It may have been the cause.
    *Gear positioning.
    (I will post a picture of the manual. The indication starts on page 475. This is for the manual I own)
    In the manual you can follow step by step the right position of these gears. They work to synchronize the arrival of the paper in the register.

This combination of a possible misplaced connection with the wrong positioning of these two gears, I believe that left the PTB sensor with this problem.

If you have the PTB sensor reaching 5.12V and 5.08V. Make sure the DRB card is working. No "SC" code on the screen and many jams, it is worth confirming the placement of these two gears. If the error still persists, I believe that confirming all the harnesses and connectors in the registration set is the best way.

Detail: In the manual there is a page informing about what to do in excess of (J032 appers), but based on the history of my problem, I was able to evaluate that the tips on this page were not what I was looking for.

Thank you very much for everyone's comments.

Big hug.

Lucas Ccero.
    Attached Images Attached Images