Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Printing from Adobe DC and Photoshop

Hey all, this is a continuation from my previous thread, but felt it worth starting a new thread as it is a different problem.

I have a potential customer that has to use a Mac to print and they primarily print pdf's from adobe pro dc or bulletin type pages from photoshop.

Issue is, on this MP C6004 that I have in there, it takes FOREVER for the machine to print out the file and sometimes it just fails because it took so long.

The files are decent, one booklet from DC we were doing our testing on was 52 MB, but another file from photoshop was 16MB and took just as long....Frustrating thing is, when I print these files from photoshop on a PC, it spits it out almost instantly.

I have downloaded the 6004 PPD driver for their currenst OS (Big Sur), setup a couple different ways, Bonjour, IP address through IPP, IP address through HP, nothing helps.
    Postscript is installed on this machine, and firmware is current.

Why does it take SO long to print from a Mac ? Are Ricoh's just not a great machine for companies with Mac's? Is it the Copier that's the issue? Computer? File?

Apple is kicking my butt this week...this isn't the only issue I've run into that's costing me money with Apple

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Re: Printing from Adobe DC and Photoshop

When they print, do you see a brief pop up for each page that says "flattening..." ?

Make sure PS Passthrough disabled if applicable.
    In the Advanced tab of Adobe, you will find check boxes something like "let printer determine colors", check this box and test printing.
    You could also try Print as Image but this may severely effect your booklet file.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    When they print, do you see a brief pop up for each page that says "flattening..." ?

Make sure PS Passthrough disabled if applicable.
    In the Advanced tab of Adobe, you will find check boxes something like "let printer determine colors", check this box and test printing.
    You could also try Print as Image but this may severely effect your booklet file.

All these options I typically see when printing on a PC, I don't see these options from Mac

Generally, the PS Passthrough would be found in print preference of the Ricoh driver. As to the other options, see screenshot below:

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I don't know about Mac because I don't use them, but with a PC you can force flattening of a document that is slow to spool by going to print preview and print from the preview screen.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I don't know about Mac because I don't use them, but with a PC you can force flattening of a document that is slow to spool by going to print preview and print from the preview screen.
    Anytime I hear the word Mac, and the word cheese does not immediately follow, I get sick to my stomach.
    macs.jpg

Product specialst support marvin-vegan's Avatar

Generally speaking, printing same PDF file from windows PCL would be a way faster than same file printing from MAC using PS. BUT it comes with some advantages for Mac. As PS can use CMYK and RGB profiles as well, also PS can simulate some Offset profiles, etc.

Problem is with the processing of the file.

Do you have file examples? And also - what is the MAC specs? Is that Big sur? What generation of mac is that? Latest 2020build or something older? These Macs really varies - one can be Macbook air (i3, 8GB ram, etc) others can be 8 core I7 32GB Ram.. there are wast differences in performance ..all that has to be keep in mind when comparing speeds.

ALSO you did not mentioned the network infrastructure - do they use WIRELESS? WHat bandwith? Or are they wired 100Mbit/1000Mbit?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Hey all, can't thank you guys enough for all the responses. I have got the customer up and functioning properly and closed the deal

I wanted to share what I found worked for me, I will also copy and paste this response in the other thread I started, as they are slightly related.

I borrowed a friends Mac all week and did a crap ton of testing on the same exact unit that I was proposing to my customer (MP C6004 w/SR-3240 finisher).
    To make a long story short, the fastest way I got the machine to print a file from photoshop or adobe dc was setting the machine up through the IP address (of course) and using the LPD route. The LPD one was the only one I found to actually show the job spooling from the mac print q and once it finished and sent to the machine the machine printed it out quickly.

On the finisher side of things, I found a couple of issues, but the main one was the tray settings. I had said that as soon as the print job hit the machine, it would say "resetting job" even if I sent the job with proper settings that the machine was capable of. I discovered that the machine in the customers office tray settings were set to "driver command" rather than "machine settings". Once I set the trays to machine settings, the job would run .

For doing saddle stitch, I couldn't find a way to do it through the bypass, not a huge deal I can adjust.
    As far as running the job with a cover page of thick 2 quality, and the rest of the job on plain paper, I found there was no way to choose the paper type of the cover page on a Mac print driver separate from the rest of the job. So what I did was just split the difference and set both trays to thick 1, choose my cover sheet tray, and the machine printed the sucker out no problem. Hopefully I don't have any issues running a thicker cardstock on thick 1, but that is the best I could come up with!

Hope this may help anyone who cares, thanks again for your help. Thankful for this community of techs and their wisdom.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    Hey all, can't thank you guys enough for all the responses. I have got the customer up and functioning properly and closed the deal

I wanted to share what I found worked for me, I will also copy and paste this response in the other thread I started, as they are slightly related.

I borrowed a friends Mac all week and did a crap ton of testing on the same exact unit that I was proposing to my customer (MP C6004 w/SR-3240 finisher).
    To make a long story short, the fastest way I got the machine to print a file from photoshop or adobe dc was setting the machine up through the IP address (of course) and using the LPD route. The LPD one was the only one I found to actually show the job spooling from the mac print q and once it finished and sent to the machine the machine printed it out quickly.
    LPR/LPD used to be the recommended way to set up any Ricoh device to print back when I took Core Basics and a few other training courses years ago. It makes sense in a way since the MFP itself is really just a glorified Unix machine with paper as the output, why wouldn't a Unix native print mechanism work best?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

does this particular model require the PS card in the SD card slot? not sure if it is one of the models that has PS preloaded now from factory. that could be a possible fix.