Aficio MP C305 Doesn't save User Authentication Management settings

First time posting here, so Hi.

I got this multifunction printer last year. And I never bothered with user authentication, I just used it to print. Now that I needed to use the scanner, I found out I had to set it up with user authentication (otherwise the printer wouldn't allow anyone to use the scanner function). Followed some tutorials on Youtube, had it all going, perfectly fine. Then I switched the machine off, next day, when I turned it back on, all the new settings were there, except the User Authentication Management setting, that I had set up for User Code the previous day. So, whenever I need to use the scanner, I need to log in (as admin) on the Web Image Monitor, switch User Authentication from Off to User Code, and then use the printer.

So, my question is: Is this an intended feature of the printer, or am I doing something wrong?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Aficio MP C305 Doesn't save User Authentication Management settings

The MP C305 was introduced 9 years ago so your problem is from something that a previous owner setup. User management by default on a new machine is not required for any function.

First thing to check is the Network Security Level setting. It should be either 0 for a standalone machine or 1 for a machine connected to a LAN. If it is set to Custom, it was probably in a government office or other high security location. It also makes it very difficult to make any permanent changes to the system.

The changes you need to make are covered in the Security Guide of the Operation Manual.

I appreciate your answer.

However, that didn't help it. Network Security Level was on "User" mode. I changed it to Level 1 (as I'm using it on my personal LAN), but that didn't solve the User Authentication Management settings reverting to Off after I cycled the machine power.

I also tried to find the Security Guide, but there is no such section on the Ricoh's support page manual for this machine.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Agnom View Post
    I appreciate your answer.

However, that didn't help it. Network Security Level was on "User" mode. I changed it to Level 1 (as I'm using it on my personal LAN), but that didn't solve the User Authentication Management settings reverting to Off after I cycled the machine power.

I also tried to find the Security Guide, but there is no such section on the Ricoh's support page manual for this machine.
    For security reasons Ricoh does not put Security Guides on publicly accessible web sites. Private message me with your email if you want the proper manual.