Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Fax Memory Issue

Ricoh MP C4504

Hey all, I'm just going to start by saying I'm not knowledgeable at all when it comes to the fax area. Mainly because my only customers that use it our medical offices and they have their own IT guys. Also I've never had many issues with fax.

Anyways, one of my customers wanted their faxes to come in and be sent to a folder on their computer rather then print out (they get a crap ton of faxes and it prevented them from doing other jobs). So with some configuration in the reception settings, the faxes were able to be sent to a folder of one of the scans accounts by turning forwarding on.

They are happy and all is well, except now (and I'm not sure if this is related or not), the memory on the fax program only is not going back to 100%, it's currently at 74% (even when there are no incoming or outcoming faxes) and the confirmation pages don't print out. I messed with the bit switch in fax parameter settings (#3 bit 0) but that didn't work.

Not sure what is going on, the confirmation page is one thing, but I guess the main concern is the fax memory percentage keeps getting lower and lower and the fear is they'll run out. I have no clue where faxes might be stored, or even why they are being stored, but the only thing I found was in the TX file list, a list of 13 faxes that were completed, but they are greyed out and I'm not able to select them to cancel them. I don't know if that's a red herring or not or if that's what's causing the memory to drop. When I print out the fax journal, the 13 faxes in the TX file list line up with the faxes sent under the mode G3TESM...all the other ones show a folder icon followed by TDM@. Again, hopefully that's not a bunch of useless information, but that's the only thing i saw out of place.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Fax Memory Issue

Re: Fax Memory Issue

Sounds to me like someone with the customer tried on their own to setup fax forwarding to to something called G3TESM but did not properly setup the destination G3TESM. You can try to setup a user G3TESM with both scan to folder and scan to email destinations and see if they get sent on through. If the customer does not want those faxes, you can go into FAX SP and clear the memory from there, FAX SP5012 Erase All Files if I remember correctly.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Sounds to me like someone with the customer tried on their own to setup fax forwarding to to something called G3TESM but did not properly setup the destination G3TESM. You can try to setup a user G3TESM with both scan to folder and scan to email destinations and see if they get sent on through. If the customer does not want those faxes, you can go into FAX SP and clear the memory from there, FAX SP5012 Erase All Files if I remember correctly.
    Yes you are correct, the customer themselves messed around with it and set it up themselves. The destination is going to a folder I had previously setup for scan-to-folder. The faxes are going through just fine and showing up in that folder which is what they want.

Are you saying they set it up wrong or there has to be a new user created just for faxes? A user setup a different way? I don't even know what G3TESM is.
    I can erase the files but will this need to be done all the time through SP mode?

Thanks for your help already

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Fax Memory Issue

Is there a setting in user tools --> fax features --> reception settings --> that says something about store reception file? Turn that off if it's on.
    Omertà

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Is there a setting in user tools --> fax features --> reception settings --> that says something about store reception file? Turn that off if it's on.
    yes that is off.

still no confirmation page and the memory is at 74% still. I haven't been there since but called to verify.

I was thinking the memory should have kept getting lower and lower with continued use of the fax but its still at 74%. I havent gone out to delete it in the sp mode like slim suggested and I plan on doing that.

But still no confirmation pages, would those print out or be sent to the folder since forwarding is turned on? either way since I messed with the bit switches for the fax confirmation there is no confirmation page coming from either place.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Fax Memory Issue

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    yes that is off.

still no confirmation page and the memory is at 74% still. I haven't been there since but called to verify.

I was thinking the memory should have kept getting lower and lower with continued use of the fax but its still at 74%. I havent gone out to delete it in the sp mode like slim suggested and I plan on doing that.

But still no confirmation pages, would those print out or be sent to the folder since forwarding is turned on? either way since I messed with the bit switches for the fax confirmation there is no confirmation page coming from either place.
    If forwarding had been setup incorrectly initially and store reception had been ON, there could be faxes in queue waiting to be printed. Any and all confirmation pages will be placed in queue after those faxes. The same can happen if the forwarding destination is off line and print on forward fail is not set. I always found forwarding to email to work best.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

If forwarding had been setup incorrectly initially and store reception had been ON, there could be faxes in queue waiting to be printed. Any and all confirmation pages will be placed in queue after those faxes. The same can happen if the forwarding destination is off line and print on forward fail is not set. I always found forwarding to email to work best.
    Hey Slim, I believe what you explained is happening. The customer shuts the computer off at night so since they are forwarding to a folder on the computer it is not going through.

Couple questions now knowing this...

1. How do I get the faxes in the queue to go through?
    2. I've looked around but can't find where to turn on "print on forward fail"
    3. Is there a way to keep faxes forwarding to a folder or email like you suggest but have the confirmation page print out of the machine?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Fax Memory Issue

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    Hey Slim, I believe what you explained is happening. The customer shuts the computer off at night so since they are forwarding to a folder on the computer it is not going through.

Couple questions now knowing this...

1. How do I get the faxes in the queue to go through?
    If they were set to be forwarded to a destination that no longer exists, recreate that destination.
    2. I've looked around but can't find where to turn on "print on forward fail"
    It may not exist for the model you are working on. If it exists it is a Fax Function User Tools setting and if the model supports function keys for FAX it is also one of the available option for the keys. Actual wording may be different.

3. Is there a way to keep faxes forwarding to a folder or email like you suggest but have the confirmation page print out of the machine?
    Sending the confirmation page to a folder of email is a separate User Tools setting. You do have to create the destination in the address book first.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

If they were set to be forwarded to a destination that no longer exists, recreate that destination.
    It may not exist for the model you are working on. If it exists it is a Fax Function User Tools setting and if the model supports function keys for FAX it is also one of the available option for the keys. Actual wording may be different.

Sending the confirmation page to a folder of email is a separate User Tools setting. You do have to create the destination in the address book first.
    OK so I changed the fax forwarding to an email destination and I'm still having issues. The issue seems to be with outbound not inbound faxes. And the issue is that when doing outbound faxes...something gets stored in the q and it takes up the fax memory. The confirmation pages also don't send to the email or print out but they get stored in the memory. There is no way to clear this either except by going into sp mode as slim suggested earlier to clear the memory.

Now I'm getting calls every other day asking to come clear the memory because their outbound faxes aren't going through because the machine says there is not enough memory.

The customer ideally would like the forwarding to be sent to a folder on the computer, and they can leave it on at all times. I put it back from the email destination to the folder destination since both ways were giving me issues.

How do I prevent the memory from filling up? It doesn't seem like this should be that hard.

Thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Just curious if there is a way to fix the memory filling up...or is this just a crutch of having fax forwarding turned on