Thread: sp c420dn

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

sp c420dn

I have one that says jam in A. I can not see any paper in it. I checked the input sensors in sp mode and all of them read no paper. I checked the door switches to make sure they were working to reset and they are all working. Any suggestions? I know its an old one but they love this printer and dont want another one. Thanks for any input. Its probably something simple I am just over looking. I dont work on these very much so I am not to familar with them.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    sp c420dn

Re: sp c420dn

I take it you are not a trained Ricoh technician. The letter codes are for showing the user where to look for the jam. In order for us to tell you what to look for, we need to know the original numeric jam code, Jxxx. If you saw it and remember what it was please provide that as it tells us where the jam occurred and where it was the lead edge or trail edge of the paper. If the power has been cycled or a door has been opened to clear the jam, the code will have changed to J001, jam found at power on, and you will need to go into the Service Program, SP mode, to look up the last actual jam.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I am a ricoh tech. Just slipped my mind to look at the jam code. Like I said I am more used to copiers then printers.On a copier that would have been one of the first thing I would have done. I did sp5803 input checks and all sensors read good and no jam. I will have to look at the jam code and see what it said. But there is definatly no paper in it. I will post again after I get the jam code. Thanks

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Finally got back to the customer to check jam code. The code is 61. Registration : stay. Sensor does not go off. I replaced the sensor and still shows jam. All the other sensors checked out ok. Any suggestions? If I need to replace it how are the pro 600 color printers? Parts seem to be pretty pricey for that model.