Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Ricoh PCL 6 UNiversal: "Preferences" versus "Defaults"

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I just checked and it is still 4.32. Ricoh does also provide a Microsoft junk V4 driver. PCL6 V4 driver for Universal Print V4.10.0.0. Stay with the Type 3 drivers.

Universal Print Driver Downloads | Ricoh Global
    Nothing like making it confusing.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    The existence of "printing defaults" and "printing preferences" has NOTHING to do with the driver being universal.
    Well I think you are mis-understanding the point. The existence of them is not dictated by the driver, but what appears there is.

Where else would it come from? You need to understand .gpd and .ppd files and how they work. This is also where UI Constraints come from, like not letting you select incompatible options.

So if his statement is he sees different features (not options) they must be coming from different driver files defining different models which Universal drivers have but model specific ones do not.
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn" - Benjamin Franklin

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh PCL 6 UNiversal: "Preferences" versus "Defaults"

Quote Originally Posted by PrintWhisperer View Post
    Well I think you are mis-understanding the point. The existence of them is not dictated by the driver, but what appears there is.

Where else would it come from? You need to understand .gpd and .ppd files and how they work. This is also where UI Constraints come from, like not letting you select incompatible options.

So if his statement is he sees different features (not options) they must be coming from different driver files defining different models which Universal drivers have but model specific ones do not.
    You are aware that this thread is about drivers for current Windows versions? .ppd files are for MAC OS X. .gpd files are for the Generic Print Drivers which to my knowledge Ricoh no longer provides for current MFP. The last time I had to use one was about 20 years ago to install a driver on XP for an Aficio 250.

Hi

to be more precise for my original question:

I'm talking about an existing installation of the driver on a Microsoft Server 2019 which is used as a print-server.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

You are aware that this thread is about drivers for current Windows versions? .ppd files are for MAC OS X. .gpd files are for the Generic Print Drivers which to my knowledge Ricoh no longer provides for current MFP. The last time I had to use one was about 20 years ago to install a driver on XP for an Aficio 250.
    Actually, PPDs are cross-platform.

Any OS that prints Postscript (at least true PostScript) uses a PPD, whether it's Mac, Windows, Linux, etc...

Many years ago, the PPD Canon supplied for the iR C3200 with the Mac driver somehow did not include the ability for the optional 2 lower paper trays, only the top 2, which were standard.

On several occasions, I used the PPD that came with the Windows driver on Macs, and it work perfectly.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

As Ken aptly pointed out, if you use a Postscript driver, it’s .ppd no matter the platform. I included it with the more PCL centered .gpd for completeness.

Of course V4 driver options flow from the Printer Extension in the driver or if none, the MS Standard UI…one of the many changes to V4 architecture.
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn" - Benjamin Franklin

Thumbs up Re: Ricoh PCL 6 UNiversal: "Preferences" versus "Defaults"

Quote Originally Posted by 8T2 View Post
    The advanced tab is admin protected when using shared printers. I usually use that to set my preferred settings and when another PC links ...

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    ..."Printing Preferences" dictates how the driver is used on the particular workstation or server it is installed on. ...
    "Printing Defaults" controls how the driver is shared when using "point-and-print", ...
    Thanks to both, for me that's the conclusion of my post. I just used these settings, and it started well.

You are aware that this thread is about drivers for current Windows versions? ...
    Really, how do you get that from the OP question:

Both dialogues look exactly the same, but the can contain different settings.
    What's the difference? What is used when?

Dude changed his story halfway through so settle..now we see when he said 'the can contain different settings' he meant 'they have different things selected' I imagine.