Help with moving a Ricoh printer

I am looking to purchase a Ricoh C4503/C4504 from a local office. How hard it is to move it? I know the main unit weight a total of 220lbs+. Is there anyway for me to disassemble it into smaller unit for easier handling? Or it has to be move as one piece. Also I will need to get it up about 4 - 5 steps of stair, most likely with a ram, can I tilt the machine?

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: Help with moving a Ricoh printer

Does it have a finisher attached? The machine itself is on wheels so they are very easy to push about. Any options like a side LCT or finisher will need to be detached before the device is moved. I wouldn't recommend tilting the machine any further than 30 degrees.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DK13 View Post
    I am looking to purchase a Ricoh C4503/C4504 from a local office. How hard it is to move it? I know the main unit weight a total of 220lbs+. Is there anyway for me to disassemble it into smaller unit for easier handling? Or it has to be move as one piece. Also I will need to get it up about 4 - 5 steps of stair, most likely with a ram, can I tilt the machine?

I have relocated loads of these with out a stair lift etc.

The machine will lift off the cabinet/paper bank (4x brackets) the MFP is OK to carry with two people.

However as you're going up statrs I would remove the DF, transfer unit & fuser unit this will make it more managable.

When we have more than one flight I'll also remove the 4 PCDU the MFP willl then be rather light.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

It is a relief that the actual printer unit will come off, with that I should have no problem moving it since I can break it and the paper trays into components and carry it. I don't need the finisher so I am not buying the unit with the finisher. I read the service manual about moving it, they didn't say anything about removing the inner components. If I can handle the weight (roughly 100lbs with just the MFP) then I should be able to carry it straight without tilting it and they would not need to remove the inner components right?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DK13 View Post
    It is a relief that the actual printer unit will come off, with that I should have no problem moving it since I can break it and the paper trays into components and carry it. I don't need the finisher so I am not buying the unit with the finisher. I read the service manual about moving it, they didn't say anything about removing the inner components. If I can handle the weight (roughly 100lbs with just the MFP) then I should be able to carry it straight without tilting it and they would not need to remove the inner components right?
    If you do ever need to move one with a finisher, other than the internal finisher, the side that goes against the main machine has NO LIFT POINTS. All the frame cross members there are very easy to bend.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    If you do ever need to move one with a finisher, other than the internal finisher, the side that goes against the main machine has NO LIFT POINTS. All the frame cross members there are very easy to bend.
    lord aint that the truth lol have had to straighten one of these before.

I have put mine briefly on it's back, to get it in and out the the rental van. I knew this wasn't allowed, but there was just no other way to lift it into the van with two guys, and to get it through the van's door. The machine's fuser doesn't contain liquid silicon oil anymore (does it?) so I figured it was a manageable risk.

So I removed the bottom two drawer option and the two standard drawers. I also removed all toners and taped the document feeder lid close. Using plenty of blankets, we put the copier with its back against the door threshold and gently tipped it backward, onto the van floor. Once in, we slid it in deeper, and immediately put it upright again. When I arrived home, it came out the same way, in reverse.

Before reinstalling everything, I checked if no toner had spilled out of the developers, and everything worked right the way it did before moving.

Once home, it had to move to my office in the basement, but for that I hired a moving company. They wrapped the machine in blankets, put it on a hand-truck, and wrapped that as a whole in cling-foil. With one guy at the top, and one at the bottom, they carried it downstairs. No problem!