Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: User Permissions Problem between Mac & Ricoh Copier

okay, I think I am starting to put this together.

I do have the previously mentioned PPD Installed (/Volumes/Ricoh_PS_Printers_Vol4_EXP_LIO_4.0.0.0)

So, I need to find out if the printer/copier has the licensed PS3 installed.

I can also edit the PPD I have installed on my mac already to install a Post Script Printer. How might one begin to go about doing that?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

The way a Postscript printer works is that the driver just calls on the PPD file to tell it what properties the printer supports. The supported OS in the about file doesn't mean much since you're just using the descriptor file and not a full driver.

You have the most current version that Ricoh has released.

Confirm that the printer has Postscript installed as an option and also try re-adding the printer. The last screen you should get during the install process is a feature page. Make sure that all of the options like finishers and trays that the machine has are checked.

You don't want to manually edit the PPD, unless you intend to break the file.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Once installed, open Safari (supposedly no other browser will work), and go to “localhost:631”.

From there, you can set printer options and defaults.

(This is opening the CUPS print system.)
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Once installed, open Safari (supposedly no other browser will work), and go to “localhost:631”.

From there, you can set printer options and defaults.

(This is opening the CUPS print system.)
    If the web interface isn't active (it's disabled by default) run this in Terminal:

cupsctl WebInterface=yes

Restart the Mac and then see if you can reach the web interface.

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    If the web interface isn't active (it's disabled by default) run this in Terminal:

cupsctl WebInterface=yes

Restart the Mac and then see if you can reach the web interface.

In early versions of OSX, I think it was on by default.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

I’ve also had issues where the PPD supplied with the Mac download didn’t support all the needed features, including optional paper trays and user codes.

One workaround for that is to download the Windows driver and copy the PPD from it. You would likely need to install it on a Windows PC to determine the correct one to use, as there will be multiple PPDs to choose from.

PPDs are text files and not platform specific, so at least in most cases it should not matter.

I’ve been able to do that with both Ricoh and Canon PostScript drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post

One workaround for that is to download the Windows driver and copy the PPD from it. You would likely need to install it on a Windows PC to determine the correct one to use, as there will be multiple PPDs to choose from.
    I've done this many times in the past to get drivers for Linux machines for specific models. You don't even need to install the driver on a Windows machine, just extract the exe file using a tool like 7-Zip. As plain text files, you can readily determine which PPD you need.

You can also try the openprinting website to download files for specific models: Printer List | OpenPrinting - The Linux Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    I've done this many times in the past to get drivers for Linux machines for specific models. You don't even need to install the driver on a Windows machine, just extract the exe file using a tool like 7-Zip. As plain text files, you can readily determine which PPD you need.

You can also try the openprinting website to download files for specific models: Printer List | OpenPrinting - The Linux Foundation

Agreed, but I have found that the PPDs in the Windows installer tend to be more likely to include all the features.

If the drivers in question are for a Fiery, (not the case here) there can be a boatload to choose from, considering the number of similar models supported by that model Fiery, then times two for the US/Metric paper sizes.