Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Permissions Problem between Mac & Ricoh Copier

Good morning,

I am having trouble getting my Macbook Air 12 to print to our Ricoh Mp c2004 copier. I am 100% percent sure I have the right drivers. The computer is "talking" to the copier but there seems to be a permissions issue that is blocking it from printing. When printing from a Macbook Air how do I punch in that info or get around that problem (short of taking the security stuff right off the copier)? We did have the local Ricoh technicion come in and work on it but he couldn't firgure it out. He said the macs are notoriously hard to connect to these machines.

Still though, I know they can be connected and I am hoping that someone on here has some experience with this. This is getting to be super frustrating so I am hoping that someone will be able to give me a hand.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: User Permissions Problem between Mac & Ricoh Copier

Quote Originally Posted by bear66 View Post
    Good morning,

I am having trouble getting my Macbook Air 12 to print to our Ricoh Mp c2004 copier. I am 100% percent sure I have the right drivers. The computer is "talking" to the copier but there seems to be a permissions issue that is blocking it from printing. When printing from a Macbook Air how do I punch in that info or get around that problem (short of taking the security stuff right off the copier)? We did have the local Ricoh technicion come in and work on it but he couldn't firgure it out. He said the macs are notoriously hard to connect to these machines.

Still though, I know they can be connected and I am hoping that someone on here has some experience with this. This is getting to be super frustrating so I am hoping that someone will be able to give me a hand.
    I have not encountered printing problems with Mac if anything with the Scanner, have you tried with another PC with W10?

Thank you for the reply. I haven't tried with Windows 10, simply because this computer came with W11 installed. Recently connect the same copier to a windows computer with no issues at all. Macs on the other hand are proving to be challenging (I have two I am trying to connect) same issue on both. Again, it is not some much the connecting the copier (that seems to have worked) but by passing or punching in the user codes and stuff to access it is a huge challenge with the macs. That is what I can't seem to figure out. Easy peasy for PC's.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Good morning,

What MacOS version is currently installed on your Air 12? And what is the driver that you are 100% sure is the right driver? The right driver will have a setting in the driver for the user code.

And while were at it, what is the C2004? C2004ex Plus, C2004 Essential or C2004 ex Performance as the drivers could be different. And does the C2004 have the PS3 option installed?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts davidmtupper's Avatar

When setting up the driver you need to create a preset for the user that contains the code under Job settings. The problem is that not all applications will properly store the code so you may need to try a few different apps to get it to take, Adobe Reader usually works (but not always). We usually set one for color and one for b&w and let them handle the other options on their own. Once you get it set the preset will work in all applications, but in Chrome (and some others) you need to print using system dialog or the code doesn't get passed to the printer, basically you need to see the Mac printer dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmtupper View Post
    When setting up the driver you need to create a preset for the user that contains the code under Job settings. The problem is that not all applications will properly store the code so you may need to try a few different apps to get it to take, Adobe Reader usually works (but not always). We usually set one for color and one for b&w and let them handle the other options on their own. Once you get it set the preset will work in all applications, but in Chrome (and some others) you need to print using system dialog or the code doesn't get passed to the printer, basically you need to see the Mac printer dialog.
    Thank you for the info. Is there a video or a link or something of that nature that would take me through this step by step?

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    What MacOS version is currently installed on your Air 12? And what is the driver that you are 100% sure is the right driver? The right driver will have a setting in the driver for the user code.

And while were at it, what is the C2004? C2004ex Plus, C2004 Essential or C2004 ex Performance as the drivers could be different. And does the C2004 have the PS3 option installed?

I have a MacBook Air M1 with macOs Monterey Version. 12.5

Here is the printer driver I have installed: /Volumes/Ricoh_PS_Printers_Vol4_EXP_LIO_4.0.0.0

I would have to check on the other Ricoh stuff in the morning. I am not sure how to tell of the PS3 option has been installed.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I have a MacBook Air M1 with macOs Monterey Version. 12.5

Here is the printer driver I have installed: /Volumes/Ricoh_PS_Printers_Vol4_EXP_LIO_4.0.0.0

I would have to check on the other Ricoh stuff in the morning. I am not sure how to tell of the PS3 option has been installed.
    Actually that is a PPD, Postscript Printer Description, file that tells the builtin PS driver how to utilize the Ricoh assuming that the Ricoh has the licensed PS3 option installed. If it only has the PDF direct print PS3 emulator, it may not support all the functions. See if there is a Readme file that install with the PPD file as it may give instructions on utilizing the features of the Ricoh.

Again, thank you for the reponses. I do appreciate it very much. This really isn't my world, so I am trying to sift through everything and make sense of it as best I can. The only thing I have going for me is persistence.

I do have a read me file. I read through it. I pasted a couple of notes that caught my attention:

[1] Supported OS
    Mac OS X 10.12 - 10.15
    (The information would be modified when Readme file is updated.)

I am running MacOS 12.4. Does that mean that my laptop does not support this file?

[3] Adding the printer
    Follow the OS standard procedure.

Note: If you use the Adobe PostScript(R) option, select the [Adobe PostScript] option from [PostScript] drop-down list of [Options] tab.
    If you use Generic PS Printer, please select "Generic PS Printer" from "Select Software" to complete the installation.

I am missing something here. When I went to install the file it didn't give me any selection options. Just click a couple of buttons and boom it is installed. I don't think I was give the Adobe PostScript R Option. Although, I now see that the tech that installed the original software chose the Generic PCL Laser Printer option. Was that the right option here? We did have a Richo tech come and work on trying to get these set up, but he didn't have any luck.

I don't even seem to have the job log option stuff anywhere.

*"Job Log", "Unauthorized Copy Prevention", "Color Balance Details", "Synchro Cut", "Background Numbering", "Personal Authentication", "User Authentication" functions will not be displayed, depending on the application. In that case, please use these functions on "Feature Sets" under "Printer Features", but there are the following limitations:
    [1] About "Job Log":
    1) Valid characters are shown as following. Please do not type invalid characters.
    - "User ID": Up to 8 alphanumeric characters[a-z,A-Z,0-9]. (Depending on the printer, ["-",".","/",":","_"] can be typed.)
    - "File Name": Up to 16 alphanumeric characters[a-z,A-Z,0-9].
    - "User Code": Up to 8 digits.
    2) There are some cases that print job cannot be printed.
    - "User ID" is blank or includes invalid character when "Job Type" is selected to "Sample Print", "Locked Print", "Hold Print", "Stored Print", "Store and Print". However, once a valid "User ID" is set and printed, the "User ID" will be saved. Therefore, if "User ID" is blank or includes invalid character at the next time you print, it will be printed with the latest saved "User ID".

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Again, thank you for the reponses. I do appreciate it very much. This really isn't my world, so I am trying to sift through everything and make sense of it as best I can. The only thing I have going for me is persistence.

I do have a read me file. I read through it. I pasted a couple of notes that caught my attention:

[1] Supported OS
    Mac OS X 10.12 - 10.15
    (The information would be modified when Readme file is updated.)

I am running MacOS 12.4. Does that mean that my laptop does not support this file?

[3] Adding the printer
    Follow the OS standard procedure.

Note: If you use the Adobe PostScript(R) option, select the [Adobe PostScript] option from [PostScript] drop-down list of [Options] tab.
    If you use Generic PS Printer, please select "Generic PS Printer" from "Select Software" to complete the installation.

I am missing something here. When I went to install the file it didn't give me any selection options. Just click a couple of buttons and boom it is installed. I don't think I was give the Adobe PostScript R Option. Although, I now see that the tech that installed the original software chose the Generic PCL Laser Printer option. Was that the right option here? We did have a Richo tech come and work on trying to get these set up, but he didn't have any luck.
    Generic PCL was added by Apple to allow Mac to print to the vast inventory of printers out there that do not have PostScript. It is pretty much plain vanilla. It doesn't know about paper trays and finishers. I'm not certain about duplex. Paper selection is based size and type in the document. It may support color but if it does, you have no way to control it. If there is color on as page it will print that page in color.

I don't even seem to have the job log option stuff anywhere.

*"Job Log", "Unauthorized Copy Prevention", "Color Balance Details", "Synchro Cut", "Background Numbering", "Personal Authentication", "User Authentication" functions will not be displayed, depending on the application. In that case, please use these functions on "Feature Sets" under "Printer Features", but there are the following limitations:
    [1] About "Job Log":
    1) Valid characters are shown as following. Please do not type invalid characters.
    - "User ID": Up to 8 alphanumeric characters[a-z,A-Z,0-9]. (Depending on the printer, ["-",".","/",":","_"] can be typed.)
    - "File Name": Up to 16 alphanumeric characters[a-z,A-Z,0-9].
    - "User Code": Up to 8 digits.
    2) There are some cases that print job cannot be printed.
    - "User ID" is blank or includes invalid character when "Job Type" is selected to "Sample Print", "Locked Print", "Hold Print", "Stored Print", "Store and Print". However, once a valid "User ID" is set and printed, the "User ID" will be saved. Therefore, if "User ID" is blank or includes invalid character at the next time you print, it will be printed with the latest saved "User ID".
    Once the PPD is installed on the Mac,you should then be able to install a Post Script printer using that PPD as the model and edit the various items in the PostScript driver according to what is actually configured on the Ricoh. User authentication should be one of those.