Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh 4MB A2309350 vs N8036701B (AMC C/D Compatible Linear Flash) difference?

Does anyone know the difference between these two cards besides the part number?

From some extra reading on line I suspect the Ricoh P/N A2309350 is an AMC C Series compatible Linear Flash card which only came in storage capacities of 1, 2, and 4 Megabyte.

Whereas the Ricoh P/N N8036701B may actually be an AMD D Series compatible Linear Flash card which are still available in storage capacities of
    4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32 Megabyte from a few manufacturers.

Does this seem to make sense?

Last edited by monarke4; 09-01-2022 at 11:08 AM. Reason: grammatical, addition

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh 4MB A2309350 vs N8036701B (AMC C/D Compatible Linear Flash) difference?

Regardless of flash card size, Ricoh firmware updates were limited to 4 MB. When they got to where it took more than 4MB you had to use 2 cards and load the in the proper order.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Ricoh 4MB A2309350 vs N8036701B (AMC C/D Compatible Linear Flash) difference?

The 4mb limit I do understand.

Now I believe that I may had made a mistake in my suggestion that there might be two different version of the Linear Flash Cards Ricoh used.

The N8036701B card has two paper adhesive labels. One I believe is for the Serial Number, and the other is the Part Number.

Curiously the A cards have a what appear to be a lot numbers printed on the long side of the cards (8566-10 0111). The last 8 numerals vary from card to card. The N8036701B I have here has no lot number printed on it anywhere.

I wonder if Ricoh was writing their own ID/signature data to the later cards.

I realize now this is for most purposes obsolete technology.

A couple musical manufacturers I service product for still use PCMCIA cards. One of them still uses the Mitsubishi Melcard for a legacy product. The other used Seiko-Epson OTProm cards, of which I have a small bundle.

Tossing some additional thoughts out there.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monarke4 View Post
    The 4mb limit I do understand.

Now I believe that I may had made a mistake in my suggestion that there might be two different version of the Linear Flash Cards Ricoh used.

The N8036701B card has two paper adhesive labels. One I believe is for the Serial Number, and the other is the Part Number.

Curiously the A cards have a what appear to be a lot numbers printed on the long side of the cards (8566-10 0111). The last 8 numerals vary from card to card. The N8036701B I have here has no lot number printed on it anywhere.

I wonder if Ricoh was writing their own ID/signature data to the later cards.

I realize now this is for most purposes obsolete technology.

A couple musical manufacturers I service product for still use PCMCIA cards. One of them still uses the Mitsubishi Melcard for a legacy product. The other used Seiko-Epson OTProm cards, of which I have a small bundle.

Tossing some additional thoughts out there.
    Most laptop computers don't even have PCMCIA-II slots let alone PCMCIA-I. And try to find a multi slot USB adapter that supports them.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Most laptop computers don't even have PCMCIA-II slots let alone PCMCIA-I. And try to find a multi slot USB adapter that supports them.

Actually they are, but I didn't say they were necessarily *cheap*.

While they last, from Syncrotech NOS Elan P423 Dual Slot PCMCIA Read/Writers (It handles Linear Flash, ATA, SRAM):

PCI Bus to PC Card Read-Writers 2 Slot Internal P423 | eBay

Also USB type available new from Syncrotech, includes software:

Both will Read/Write Linear Flash, ATA Flash, SRAM, and a bunch more.

(Single Slot PCMCIA Card Slot)
    USB 2.0 to PC Card Read-Writer 1-Slot for ATA Flash + SRAM + Linear Flash (OMNIDriveUSB2 LF) (ART0020711), Synchrotech

(PCMCIA & SD Card Slots)

USB 2.0 to PC Card Read-Writer 2-Slot for SD Card, ATA Flash, SRAM, Linear Flash, Synchrotech

The drivers for the Elan P423 is available on Syncrotech's website for downloading as well.

I purchased a NOS Elan P423 via eBay over a year ago.

I have no financial connection with Syncrotech or their products. I have though spent some time scouring the information on their website, looking for answers.