Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh's sense of humor?  5510L Firmware Update Progress

Ricoh's sense of humor? 5510L Firmware Update Progress

Is it possible Ricoh's engineers had a slight sense of humor?

I had shared with me a full version of Elan Memory Card Explorer Version 3.21 which runs under Windows XP. There are also claims it will run under Windows 7 as well.

A couple weeks ago I tried to update the FCU/MCU firmware using a Ricoh p/n
    A2309350 4MB Linear Flash card. The NOS Ricoh P/N N8036701B seemed to be defective.

The card can be written to, however it will not verify correctly. At about .03% MCE stops during the verification process. The "compare" operation also indicates the file to be written and that on the card do not match. The checksum is also incorrect according to the Ricoh h310readme file.

Some used Ricoh p/n A2309350 cards became available and I purchased a couple. Upon testing they read/write, verify and the checksum is correct.

Initially upon trying to update the FCU/MCU firmware the display showed "NG!". After several repeat tries I gave up. Last night I tried again, while freshly writing the bin file the the card, and tagging it as such. I also wrote another card with the SG3 firmware update.

Seems it may really be about crossing one's eyes the right way... Updating may be hit or miss?

To my surprise it the display changed too "now copying". Then the display changed again. At first glance I thought the machine had crashed.

I saw what appeared to be vertical lines in the left side of the display. Then I noticed it was a progress graph and it was becoming solidly filled (from bottom to top) as the file update progressed. On the right side of the screen is a simple "" In the smile, the eyes move left, then right, then back to the center. Then beginning with a small dot where the mouth would be a smile develops.

This info is not found in the 5510L service manual.

Like so many other manufacturers, I'm sure this data was reserved for the product training classes.

Curious!

Image attached.

5510LUpdating1b.jpg
    Last edited by monarke4; 09-01-2022 at 12:25 PM. Reason: formatting

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh's sense of humor? 5510L Firmware Update Progress

Funny!

It sort of reminds me of the firmware process for the bizhub C3110. Each file loads individually, not as part of a set. And while it's loading the screen keeps flipping back to "Ready to Copy." The first time it did that I had a coronary: "OMG, it's crashing!!!" ... but it's not. It does this a dozen times before the process is finished. And the progress % goes from 25% to 59% to 45% to 95% ... the whole time I'm thinking "... what the hell is happening ... ".

The good news is that it usually completes the task, though the display doesn't really give you a clue that it's working. When it's successful it displays: "ERROR. POWER OFF/ON." Not very encouraging is it?
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

I'm just shocked that one of those things is still chugging along in the field. Used to have a few of them to service a good 17 years ago. Bringing back memories now...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Funny!

"ERROR. POWER OFF/ON." Not very encouraging is it?
    That's just awful!

It conjured up thoughts of Dick Solomon and Mary Albright (Third Rock from the Sun) beating the office copier with a toner cartridge.
    Dick And The Xerox Machine

Dick And The Xerox Machine - YouTube

Well, while the update of the SG3 and NIC firmware went smoothly, there was no progress graph or smiley face. The display went from "Now Copying" to "OK".

Initially while reading through the service manual "3.10.1 DATA COPY BETWEEN THE IC CARD AND MACHINE".

I understand the terms Upload and Download, but how it was explained in the service manual (rather lack of explanation) I could decipher what what was to be done.

1. Turn the main power OFF. Then, insert the IC card into the IC card slot on right
    side of the machine.

NOTE: The IC card should be oriented with the “A” side facing up, as shown.
    2. Turn the main power ON.
    If the menu does not appear, enter
    service mode and use service function

3. Select the appropriate item.
    NOTE: To copy optional firmware,
    scroll down using the “DOWN”
    key.

4. Press Start.

5. If “OK” is displayed, exit the function and turn the power OFF.
    If “NG!!” is displayed, repeat from step 1.

I remembered a predecessor model's service manual usually had more information. I looked through the same section in the Aficio 5000L service manual, and found it explained in full detail, leaving nothing to guess.

Seems it's this way with most any manufacturer. If you do not know from previous experience, have taken the classes or have access to the training information, you may end up being lost. Luckily now with products like Panasonic PBX all of the video training materials is available online.

But enough of this....

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    I'm just shocked that one of those things is still chugging along in the field.
    This is the machine in my own office which I purchased as a machine from an ended lease. It has served me well for the last 14 years.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by monarke4 View Post
    Is it possible Ricoh's engineers had a slight sense of humor?

I had shared with me a full version of Elan Memory Card Explorer Version 3.21 which runs under Windows XP. There are also claims it will run under Windows 7 as well.

A couple weeks ago I tried to update the FCU/MCU firmware using a Ricoh p/n
    A2309350 4MB Linear Flash card. The NOS Ricoh P/N N8036701B seemed to be defective.

The card can be written to, however it will not verify correctly. At about .03% MCE stops during the verification process. The "compare" operation also indicates the file to be written and that on the card do not match. The checksum is also incorrect according to the Ricoh h310readme file.

Some used Ricoh p/n A2309350 cards became available and I purchased a couple. Upon testing they read/write, verify and the checksum is correct.

Initially upon trying to update the FCU/MCU firmware the display showed "NG!". After several repeat tries I gave up. Last night I tried again, while freshly writing the bin file the the card, and tagging it as such. I also wrote another card with the SG3 firmware update.

Seems it may really be about crossing one's eyes the right way... Updating may be hit or miss?

To my surprise it the display changed too "now copying". Then the display changed again. At first glance I thought the machine had crashed.

I saw what appeared to be vertical lines in the left side of the display. Then I noticed it was a progress graph and it was becoming solidly filled (from bottom to top) as the file update progressed. On the right side of the screen is a simple "" In the smile, the eyes move left, then right, then back to the center. Then beginning with a small dot where the mouth would be a smile develops.

This info is not found in the 5510L service manual.

Like so many other manufacturers, I'm sure this data was reserved for the product training classes.

Curious!

Image attached.

5510LUpdating1b.jpg
    Wonderful story thanks for sharing this with community. Now we know at least one Jap engineer has sense of humour
    Last edited by tsbservice; 09-04-2022 at 06:25 PM.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monarke4 View Post

... I remembered a predecessor model's service manual usually had more information. I looked through the same section in the Aficio 5000L service manual, and found it explained in full detail, leaving nothing to guess.

Seems it's this way with most any manufacturer. If you do not know from previous experience, have taken the classes or have access to the training information, you may end up being lost. Luckily now with products like Panasonic PBX all of the video training materials is available online.

But enough of this....
    This is an excellent point worth sharing:
    Manufacturers typically retain similar methods of achieving an objective (like loading firmware), but don't always document it very well. Looking back to a similar model (before or after) can be very enlightening.

It's the same way with parts manuals. I remember a series of machines (Kyocera Alphard 1/2/3). That were all built very similarly, but only the Alphard 2 manual showed parts breakdowns for a particular section. We couldn't be absolutely sure that the parts were exactly the same across the board until we ordered a set ... but thankfully they were.

Thanks for bringing this up. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    It's the same way with parts manuals. I remember a series of machines (Kyocera Alphard 1/2/3). That were all built very similarly, but only the Alphard 2 manual showed parts breakdowns for a particular section. We couldn't be absolutely sure that the parts were exactly the same across the board until we ordered a set ... but thankfully they were.

Thanks for bringing this up. =^..^=

Sometimes I try to contribute rather than be devil's advocate.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

I had to google 5510L - what a blast from the blast LOL

I kow it but under the model "Ricoh Fax 5000L" - feels like 20 years ago^^

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    I had to google 5510L - what a blast from the blast LOL

I kow it but under the model "Ricoh Fax 5000L" - feels like 20 years ago^^
    The brochure I have for the 5510L/5510NF is dated c1996.

The brochure I found for the Aficio 5000L has no copyright date, but lists compatibility for printer drivers all the way back to Windows 3.x !!!