Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh Pro MP C5100 goes idle and will not resume printing

I had a customer call me about a Ricoh Pro MP C5100 that will go into an idle state at random or when paper needs to be added.

A typical job would consist of running saddle stitched booklets with the print job sent thru Fiery. If the machine stops and askes for paper the customer loads the paper but the machine will not resume printing the job. the Fiery shows the job status as printing but the machine will not resume the print job. The job has to be cancelled. Sometimes the machine will just stop on it's own and the print job has to be cancelled an sent to the machine again.

The problem is getting worse and now happening more frequently. Have any of the Ricoh techs on here had any experience with this or something similar.
    The last booklet run the machine stopped 25 times.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: Ricoh Pro MP C5100 goes idle and will not resume printing

Sounds like the Fiery might be due a reload. Is the machine's firmware up to date?
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
    I had a customer call me about a Ricoh Pro MP C5100 that will go into an idle state at random or when paper needs to be added.

A typical job would consist of running saddle stitched booklets with the print job sent thru Fiery. If the machine stops and askes for paper the customer loads the paper but the machine will not resume printing the job. the Fiery shows the job status as printing but the machine will not resume the print job. The job has to be cancelled. Sometimes the machine will just stop on it's own and the print job has to be cancelled an sent to the machine again.

The problem is getting worse and now happening more frequently. Have any of the Ricoh techs on here had any experience with this or something similar.
    The last booklet run the machine stopped 25 times.

We had a similar issue this was caused by failing HDD raid.

I would also update ALL the firmware first.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thank you for the reply's. Firmware update it is then. That was my thinking, I was hoping for something besides firmware since I don't have access to that anymore.
    I will tell them to contact a Ricoh dealer and hopefully they can get someone to respond.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
    Thank you for the reply's. Firmware update it is then. That was my thinking, I was hoping for something besides firmware since I don't have access to that anymore.
    I will tell them to contact a Ricoh dealer and hopefully they can get someone to respond.
    There is also the possibility that it is going into toner refresh and having trouble loading toner. THat also can be a huge problem if you are not properly trained.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Toner refresh mode seems unrelated. But thanks for the reply. As far as being properly trained my first of many Ricoh schools was around 85-86 but I've never been properly trained all these years so that's nothing new. lol.
    I guess asking for firmware is frowned upon?