Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

MP C6004ex - How to print doc where certain pages come from certain trays

I have a client who has a fairly complex set of documents to be printed on an MPC 6004ex.

The documents could possibly have pages that need to be printed on yellow, blue, green or white paper (note: trays 1-4 are populated with those colors). I have not seen that the standard driver allows the configuration of something like this. (ie. pages 1-6 = white, page 7 = blue, page 8 = yellow, pages 9-12 = green, pages 13-16 = yellow, pages 17-22 = green). Although perhaps I missed something.

I did find a video on a software program called Print&Share, which looks to be sophisticated enough to handle this, but it seems to have some issues. (fairly complicated, looks like its primary market is non-USA, it has a fee but you have to request a quote, it maybe requires a client/server setup, etc).

Can you help identify anything else that would allow this to be accomplished?

The documents are created in Adobe InDesign, exported to a PDF, and normally printed from Acrobat.

Thanks

Re: MP C6004ex - How to print doc where certain pages come from certain trays

Quote Originally Posted by threehorn View Post
    I have a client who has a fairly complex set of documents to be printed on an MPC 6004ex.

The documents could possibly have pages that need to be printed on yellow, blue, green or white paper (note: trays 1-4 are populated with those colors). I have not seen that the standard driver allows the configuration of something like this. (ie. pages 1-6 = white, page 7 = blue, page 8 = yellow, pages 9-12 = green, pages 13-16 = yellow, pages 17-22 = green). Although perhaps I missed something.

I did find a video on a software program called Print&Share, which looks to be sophisticated enough to handle this, but it seems to have some issues. (fairly complicated, looks like its primary market is non-USA, it has a fee but you have to request a quote, it maybe requires a client/server setup, etc).

Can you help identify anything else that would allow this to be accomplished?

The documents are created in Adobe InDesign, exported to a PDF, and normally printed from Acrobat.

Thanks
    Might have to quote them for a FIERY.
    A rip will do mixed media printing.
    I hope it's not a case of "Our OLD machine did this just fine but this Ricoh won't"?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Most word processing software should be able to handle it easily. It will be under Format - Page - Paper Source (or paper tray). Works best when you have a hard page break at the end on the last page for each color. Usually used for when there are pages requiring different size paper.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Most word processing software should be able to handle it easily. It will be under Format - Page - Paper Source (or paper tray). Works best when you have a hard page break at the end on the last page for each color. Usually used for when there are pages requiring different size paper.

So the document is a pdf, exported from InDesign. I don't see the Word type options you describe in Adobe Reader (or Acrobat). I have to believe there is something that will do it, but most of my searches end up pointing back to the Print&Share software.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by threehorn View Post
    So the document is a pdf, exported from I don't see the Word type options you describe in Adobe Reader (or Acrobat). I have to believe there is something that will do it, but most of my searches end up pointing back to the Print&Share software.
    The problem is that Acrobat Reader is just that a reader and not an editor. It is going to require Acrobat Pro or some other PDF editor to format page settings prior to printings, or do so within InDesign, which can get extremely complicated. If your customer is subscribing to InDesign, they need to cancel that $239.88 a year subscription and get Acrobat Pro 11 for only $49.97 a year.

One option is to send each section separately:

1. Click the Print Icon
    2. Make sure the C6004 is selected as the printer
    3. Under Print Range select the pages for the first color
    4. Click on the Properties button
    5. On the Paper tab select the input tray for that color and click OK
    6. Click OK
    7. Repeat for each color
    8. If more than one set is needed repeat Steps 1-7 for each color

The other possible option is to use the document server:
    1. Click the Print Icon
    2. Make sure the C6004 is selected as the printer
    3. Under Print Range select the pages for the first color
    4. Click on the Properties button
    5. On the Setup tab change Job Type to Document Server
    6. Click OK twice to send to C6044
    7. At the C6004 select batch mode
    8. From the document server select the first section and click print
    9. On the copy screen select the tray for that section
    10. Repeat for each section
    11. Once the last section is cued to the copy batch set the number of copies and any finishing required and press Start.