Thread: Fax diagnostics

RICOH WIZARD/WSD HATER 50+ Posts

Unhappy Fax diagnostics

In the Fax SM there are diagnostic tests SP7xxx. Where the machine will output V34 signals at various bps. How would I utilize those tests. I though of maybe getting an analog USB fax/modem device for my laptop and initiating a call between the laptop and the Ricoh device. But unsure how these tests can be used to troubleshoot line quality.
    I also thought that if i can use my USB modem to imitate a call with the Ricoh i can maybe use a terminal program to view the transfer? I'm experiencing what i think are line quality issues. And have enabled the technical data logging on the fax journal SP1101-001 bit 2. From there i can see some useful line quality data, but I need something concrete and technical as possible.
    Another note is i have access to wireshark and can monitor SIP connections on the network, but only can see the protocol exchanges.

This is for the M45_D3J7 option btw

• Anyone have experience with how to utilize the fax tests in the SP7xxx modes?
    • Anyone have any ideas on how i can collect data for troubleshooting using a USB modem on my computer to connect to Ricoh analog line?
    • terminal program or wireshark to get technical data regarding the quality of the line?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Fax diagnostics

Re: Fax diagnostics

Have you tried calling tech support or are you an end user trying to crater your machine?

Neither, I am a Ricoh certified Tech working for a dealer.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Fax diagnostics

Quote Originally Posted by j2shortt View Post
    Neither, I am a Ricoh certified Tech working for a dealer.
    Then call tech support. That is what they are there for and it part of the dealership contract. Or is the dealer you work for not a Ricoh dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Then call tech support. That is what they are there for and it part of the dealership contract. Or is the dealer you work for not a Ricoh dealer.
    Yeah, we are an authorized dealer.
    And respectfully, while I appreciate you responding quickly, I'm more hoping a member in here has experience with these items I'm asking about and I'm not yet ready to get Ricoh involved. It's a problem, that isn't exactly critical yet, but more of a reason for me to understand the faxing functionality of the Ricoh devices and built in tools more thoroughly. In the next few months the organization I manage the devices for are switching to RightFax so, I've been brushing up on the digital faxing servers and analog won't be an issue.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

A few things:

1. If you have a modem on your PC, either USB, PCMCIA, or built in, you can’t connect directly to a fax machine. You will need a line simulator to plug both into.

2. Analyzing analog fax signals requires extremely expensive equipment. I really don’t think there is any app that will do that for you. Those high end analyzers will find such things as “x” db of rolloff at given frequencies, noise, etc…

3. If you move into RightFax, Wireshark will become your friend. Analyzing the signal between the RightFax server and the connected modem will graphically show the communication when placed in telephony mode; you can even play the conversation back through the speakers on the PC running Wireshark. (I once did that to prove there was a modem issue. The problem was quite audible).
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    A few things:

1. If you have a modem on your PC, either USB, PCMCIA, or built in, you can’t connect directly to a fax machine. You will need a line simulator to plug both into.

2. Analyzing analog fax signals requires extremely expensive equipment. I really don’t think there is any app that will do that for you. Those high end analyzers will find such things as “x” db of rolloff at given frequencies, noise, etc…

3. If you move into RightFax, Wireshark will become your friend. Analyzing the signal between the RightFax server and the connected modem will graphically show the communication when placed in telephony mode; you can even play the conversation back through the speakers on the PC running Wireshark. (I once did that to prove there was a modem issue. The problem was quite audible).

I appreciate the response. Ive had the unfortunate experience of needing wireshark to troubleshoot external line issues with RightFax in our test environment. Well, it was worth a shot with the standalone modem. I might experiment a bit. If I make any developments I'll update this thread.