Help with a Ricoh SP C250DN Printer Error

I have been getting an error of "SC543" on an "SP C250DN" printer.

Looking up this error online it means a thermistor is overheating.

This error is almost always there upon turning the printer. If I clear the error it will print fine but if it sits for a bit the error comes back.

I am assuming that it is not as easy replacing the thermistor because:

I had a few times where the printer cartridge was dumping excessive toner into the printer.

Upon examination in fixing a paper jam The black roller (pressure?) behind the two maroon rollers is excessive sticky.

Not knowing how the innards are supposed to be I am assuming that the roller is dirty and should be cleaned. I am wondering if the thermistor or something near it needs to be cleaned as well.

Any knowledge as to what the problem is or might be and the fix is greatly appreciated. I would prefer to avoid replacing the whole fuser unit if possible.

Hopefully I have given all the needed information.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Help with a Ricoh SP C250DN Printer Error

Quote Originally Posted by lokisveil View Post
    I have been getting an error of "SC543" on an "SP C250DN" printer.

Looking up this error online it means a thermistor is overheating.

This error is almost always there upon turning the printer. If I clear the error it will print fine but if it sits for a bit the error comes back.

I am assuming that it is not as easy replacing the thermistor because:

I had a few times where the printer cartridge was dumping excessive toner into the printer.

Upon examination in fixing a paper jam The black roller (pressure?) behind the two maroon rollers is excessive sticky.

Not knowing how the innards are supposed to be I am assuming that the roller is dirty and should be cleaned. I am wondering if the thermistor or something near it needs to be cleaned as well.

Any knowledge as to what the problem is or might be and the fix is greatly appreciated. I would prefer to avoid replacing the whole fuser unit if possible.

Hopefully I have given all the needed information.
    SC543 is a fusing unit overheating being detected by a thermistor. If the rollers and thermistors in the fusing unit have become contaminated with toner then you may need to replace the fusing unit.

You can download a service manual from manualslib.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Help with a Ricoh SP C250DN Printer Error

Are you using OEM toner? Have you tried cleaning (gently) the thermistors, the sticky roller should be the cleaning roller which however is an integral part of the fuser unit.