Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Ricoh SP C250SF "Misfeed: tray 1" Error

Hello,

I am an end user without much technical experience who is trying to get my Ricoh multifunction printer/scanner/copier working at 100%. I am having several issues with networking and an error code, however I'll address issues one by one and this thread will only focus on the error code. When I submit a print job, the printer may print 1 or 2 pages before stopping and displaying the error code, "Misfeed: tray 1". I open the front door of the printer, see there is no paper jam, close the door, and it will print another 1 or 2 pages (usually 1), then repeat with the same error code.

I've done a little bit of research and attempted to clean the rollers as suggested on other threads. I've adjusted the paper tray guides so the paper stack fits snugly. Lastly, I've removed the paper stack, fanned it, flipped it, and re-stacked it as suggested in another thread.

I've seen suggestions to clean sensors in similar Ricoh printers but the sensor locations are not easily apparent on the SP C250SF.

Any help is welcome.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh SP C250SF "Misfeed: tray 1" Error

Re: Ricoh SP C250SF "Misfeed: tray 1" Error

From the Service Manual "To avoid misfeeds, the side and end fences in each paper tray must be positioned correctly so as to align with loaded paper size." The side fences can occasionally cause a misfeed but are more apt to be too loose and cause side registration problems. The tail fence is more than likely where the problem is. If it is too loose it may cause the paper to not be under the feed roller and not feed at all. Your problem sounds like it is too tight. The lead edge of the paper stack becomes pushed against the end of the tray that the friction prevents the lift mechanism from being able to lift the paper fast enough after each sheet. After a few sheets, the feed roller is no longer in contact with the paper. You might also have either a dirty or badly worm feed roller that needs either cleaning or replacement.

Re: Ricoh SP C250SF "Misfeed: tray 1" Error

I adjusted the tray fences both where the 11 1/2 and 8 inch indicator marks were, as well as tried adjusting out a click, and the issue persists. I'm not sure where the feed roller is located, but all the internal parts seem to be clean and in good condition. The printer hasn't had much use or wear... probably printed under 1000 pages in its 10ish year lifespan.

Any further advise to assist with inspection of the feed roller? I'm all ears for any input.

Thanks