Senior Tech 100+ Posts copyman20's Avatar

Ricoh SP4310n SC641-04

Greetings everyone

Needing some help with This printer. Customer of mine was getting SC899 error when web embedded pdf were printed. looked up the cause, and with some research on the web and manuals, looked like it was a firmware issue.
    got the firmware and installed it. when on the restart it now gave me an SC461-04 error. I tried to load the production firmware to see if it would bring the machine back, now it just goes from Preparing to load firmware than loading. but nothing happens.
    I know that you can do an error recovery by switching one of the bit switches on the controller.
    my question is. Does anyone know which switch it is, and has anyone ever had this problem updating firmware on this model?

Thanks in advance guys

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Ricoh SP4310n SC641-04

Re: Ricoh SP4310n SC641-04

Quote Originally Posted by copyman20 View Post
    Greetings everyone

Needing some help with This printer. Customer of mine was getting SC899 error when web embedded pdf were printed. looked up the cause, and with some research on the web and manuals, looked like it was a firmware issue.
    got the firmware and installed it. when on the restart it now gave me an SC461-04 error. I tried to load the production firmware to see if it would bring the machine back, now it just goes from Preparing to load firmware than loading. but nothing happens.
    I know that you can do an error recovery by switching one of the bit switches on the controller.
    my question is. Does anyone know which switch it is, and has anyone ever had this problem updating firmware on this model?

Thanks in advance guys
    Try the solution from Service Manual:

Examine the connection between the controller and the engine board.
    Replace the engine board if the error is frequent.

Did you check all the connections?
    Last edited by thendral; 02-11-2015 at 03:15 AM.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Ricoh SP4310n SC641-04

Service Manual can be found here:
    http://www.cnsonthenet.com/ricoh/SP%...e%20Manual.pdf

Senior Tech 100+ Posts copyman20's Avatar

have the manual and checked out the connections. This happened after I had updated the firmware. prior to that, the printer was working. just that it would go to an SC899 when someone printed a pdf in a web page.

This model was made during the earthquake in Japan, so it has two different board types.

From the technical bulletin RM080016a:

• Do not install the old firmware (v.1.01:01 or older) on the new engine board. This is because the old firmware cannot be used on the new board, and the new firmware (v.A2.0:20 : The new version starts with “A”) cannot be used on the old board. For this reason, the new firmware will not be released to the field.

RM080016a.doc

Quote Originally Posted by ruben View Post
    This model was made during the earthquake in Japan, so it has two different board types.

From the technical bulletin RM080016a:

• Do not install the old firmware (v.1.01:01 or older) on the new engine board. This is because the old firmware cannot be used on the new board, and the new firmware (v.A2.0:20 : The new version starts with “A”) cannot be used on the old board. For this reason, the new firmware will not be released to the field.

RM080016a.doc
    Hello Ruben,
    How did you resolve the issue finally?
    I accidentally updated the firmware to the 1.01 and it is showing the same SC code. Looking forward to hearing back.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh SP4310n SC641-04

Quote Originally Posted by T511 View Post
    Hello Ruben,
    How did you resolve the issue finally?
    I accidentally updated the firmware to the 1.01 and it is showing the same SC code. Looking forward to hearing back.
    5 year dead thread

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    5 year dead thread

Just for reference it's been awhile, I replaced the engine board and maybe the nvram as well. It will boot up in japanese, and may throw a hdd code. Got to SP mode to change the language region back to English and do a HDD reformat was my solution.

I replaced just the engine board and it booted up normally. No language change needed. One of the senior techs had similar experience, so that helped.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh SP4310n SC641-04

Quote Originally Posted by T511 View Post
    I replaced just the engine board and it booted up normally. No language change needed. One of the senior techs had similar experience, so that helped.
    Go away grave robber!