Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MacOS update breaks printing

So it seems like MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) breaks printing for Samsung copiers. I had a customer complain and I've confirmed it on my own Mac. I don't see an updated print driver on the HP support site. Has anyone heard when an update will be released?
    Why does every customer think they're the first one to ever say: "you've been here so much we should get you an office, ha, ha, ha"?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: MacOS update breaks printing

Quote Originally Posted by arnh79 View Post
    So it seems like MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) breaks printing for Samsung copiers. I had a customer complain and I've confirmed it on my own Mac. I don't see an updated print driver on the HP support site. Has anyone heard when an update will be released?
    doubt there will be one

have you contacted HP tech support for MAC?

try here: HP HP Printers | HP(R) Customer Support

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I think you're right. HP has no vested interest in keeping the Samsung line going. I haven't reached out to the support team yet.
    Why does every customer think they're the first one to ever say: "you've been here so much we should get you an office, ha, ha, ha"?

I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar

Seems to happen with almost every major Mac release. I've had the same exact issue across brands (Toshiba and KM) where the drivers no longer function and there are no new drivers available. I highly doubt HP is going to release updated drivers for anything Samsung since the MFPs are years old already.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Just heard back from Samsung Tech Support: “3rd parties such as HP are no longer allowed to load customized Print Dialog Extensions (PDE) or user interfaces for printing” so no new driver. This is of course a crap answer because I can look at the HP equivalent of an X7400LX on their site and they have a brand new MacOS 10.15 driver for the HP series. I also don't like the answer that these machines are old. We were selling them up to 2 years ago. So customer has a 5 year lease and the machine is bricked after 2?!?! Who pays for the replacement machine for the next 3 years of their lease? Samsung was never a good copier brand to begin with and the HP takeover has been nothing but trouble. Can't wait for the last Samsung copier contract to be expired!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Just heard back from Samsung Tech Support: “3rd parties such as HP are no longer allowed to load customized Print Dialog Extensions (PDE) or user interfaces for printing” so no new driver. This is of course a crap answer because I can look at the HP equivalent of an X7400LX on their site and they have a brand new MacOS 10.15 driver for the HP series. I also don't like the answer that these machines are old. We were selling them up to 2 years ago. So customer has a 5 year lease and the machine is bricked after 2?!?! Who pays for the replacement machine for the next 3 years of their lease? Samsung was never a good copier brand to begin with and the HP takeover has been nothing but trouble. Can't wait for the last Samsung copier contract to be expired!
    started selling them 2yr ago... part way thru production.
    5yr contract? WTF most machines (any brand) have little support 5 yrs from start of production..

IMHO SAMSUX is CRAP. glad my exboss only got into them for 2 yrs.. then we pulled our dealership from their rinky dink imaging group. TERRIBLE tech support ( was cert'd on 12 different models/lines )

**NOTE** I have the S9 phone and a 42" HD TV. LOVE THESE **

A few questions. We dumped Samsung a while ago for various reasons so we didn't even get to this line.

1: Will the HP version of the equivalent driver work?

2: Do they do jobs that a generic driver won't be able to accomplish?

3: Are those AirPrint compatible?

I've tried to let my customers who use Macs know that chances are if any new release drops, there won't be drivers available for everything so if it is not an emergency, don't update until we know for certain. I REALLY ran into this with Toshiba and KM with the last major release.

By the way, in the music studio / production community, people who use Mac are having the exact same driver issues right now and holding off on any update.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

1. I did some testing with the HP equivalent and it will provide basic printing, but it won't work if they use Job Accounting

2. One user definitely needs more than the generic driver, but hopefully the HP version will provide enough functionality

3. They are AirPrint compatible, but this update broke that as well. So no go.

I agree with your recommendation to delay updates whenever possible. We're a Tosh dealer and MacOS 10.14 did nasty things with Dept. Code entry and other functions. Strangely enough, although Tosh hasn't released an updated driver the Dept Code entry is fixed on 10.15.

1. I did some testing with the HP equivalent and it will provide basic printing, but it won't work if they use Job Accounting

2. One user definitely needs more than the generic driver, but hopefully the HP version will provide enough functionality

3. They are AirPrint compatible, but this update broke that as well. So no go.

I agree with your recommendation to delay updates whenever possible. We're a Tosh dealer and MacOS 10.14 did nasty things with Dept. Code entry and other functions. Strangely enough, although Tosh hasn't released an updated driver the Dept Code entry is fixed on 10.15.

Oh yes, good old department codes on a Mac. Bane of my existence at some times

Sometimes I just wish Mac's drivers worked better for MFP's. "What do you mean I can't set a default and have to put in a code for every program I use?" "OMG, you mean PC's can do that automatically in the driver?"

EDIT - also for B/W printing only. Ick.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

if they arent using account codes try loading the HP E77830dn driver.

I just "upgraded" a Samsuck 4300 with the HP E77830dn and prior to me updating drivers on server people were still printing happily without any weird PCL errors or unexpected behavior.

Mind you they are all Windows but potentially might behave the same on Mac drivers too?