Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technician

Re: CLX-9201 bootloop

Quote Originally Posted by mhanes@sdwp.com View Post
    I had used the very file you provided from Google Drive UI Recovery V5.16.00.33.00_2015022623.hd however perhaps it was the USB thumbdrive I was using a 4GB.

I did notice this in the service manual just now:

Question
    No.34
    Is there a force-firmware mode for Polaris?
    Answer There is a force-firmware mode for Polaris Color only. You can go into force-firmware mode by turning on
    the machine while opening the front door and right door and pushing the power button

My only experience with this machine was, tried to update to the latest firmware provided on the ftp of HP... Then device got bricked, I used the UI recovery found on a Korean forum. Re-flash the guy and it worked. After that never tried any update. Since then I have the machine runing with the firmware it had. Never touch a running system aproach with samsung...

Quote Originally Posted by aristos87 View Post
    My only experience with this machine was, tried to update to the latest firmware provided on the ftp of HP... Then device got bricked, I used the UI recovery found on a Korean forum. Re-flash the guy and it worked. After that never tried any update. Since then I have the machine runing with the firmware it had. Never touch a running system aproach with samsung...
    Well the machine came this way and I did no updates at all. I just want to recover it. I did download the UI recovery file you provided in your Google Drive however I only see the FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD MODE screen Ready to Receive Firmware... but no progress. After reading that portion of the service manual that mentions force upgrade I'm wondering if perhaps this is the key to pushing that UI recovery file through. Kind of like a combination lock. Apparently it directs to do the following. I'm wondering if this is what you did to recover yours along with that file?

Answer There is a force-firmware mode for Polaris Color only. You can go into force-firmware mode by turning on
    the machine while opening the front door and right door and pushing the power button

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by mhanes@sdwp.com View Post
    Well the machine came this way and I did no updates at all. I just want to recover it. I did download the UI recovery file you provided in your Google Drive however I only see the FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD MODE screen Ready to Receive Firmware... but no progress. After reading that portion of the service manual that mentions force upgrade I'm wondering if perhaps this is the key to pushing that UI recovery file through. Kind of like a combination lock. Apparently it directs to do the following. I'm wondering if this is what you did to recover yours along with that file?

Look as soon as you are stuck on FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD and nothing happens means the USB is not recognized (you shall use the port next to the display). Try other sticks till it worked. For me I had to try any possible stick it it start blinking that reads something all other sticks where somehow ignored. After you flash the GUI you can proceed with any other update. As soon as display tells you FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD you need to update the display firmware first. More info sadly I can't give as I have no further experience than that.

I will try a different thumb drive in the control panel USB slot as you suggested.

One last question. I downloaded the UI recovery file from your Google Drive link. Out of curiosity I looked into the other link you provided to the Korean site and it looks like eight files with the .egg file extension. I saw talk of that being some sort of compression and it looks like those all have to be formed together into one file which I assume that is what you did with your Google Drive file already.

Look as soon as you are stuck on FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD and nothing happens means the USB is not recognized (you shall use the port next to the display). Try other sticks till it worked. For me I had to try any possible stick it it start blinking that reads something all other sticks where somehow ignored. After you flash the GUI you can proceed with any other update. As soon as display tells you FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD you need to update the display firmware first. More info sadly I can't give as I have no further experience than that.
    Finally today was a good day!

I got a different thumb drive that had an led to indicate when it was being read as you suggested. In addition to that I noticed a difference between the file that you were mentioning from the Korean download site that had the 8 .egg files. All of those files were simply titled V5.16.00.33.00_2015022623.egg while the single file you supplied from your Google drive was titled UI Recovery V5.16.00.33.00_2015022623.hd and I got to thinking that perhaps the portion titled UI Recovery might have been tripping it up and not allowing it to be recognized as a valid recovery file. So in addition to the change in thumb drive I also removed the beginning UI Recovery from the filename you provided and simply stored V5.16.00.33.00_2015022623.hd at the root of the thumb drive. I put the thumb drive in the control panel usb port and started the machine in firmware download mode *0# however I was not seeing any activity from the thumb drive.

Next I also took a similar system recovery file that was previously titled System Recovery CLX_9301_9201_EV11.11.14.09_FS11.01.00.00.71.ehd and removed System Recovery from the filename and put that in the controller USB port and started the machine into firmware download mode... I took a different approach with regard to the process as well noting some suggestions from service manual to have front door and right door open. I also had seem a post about having the first cassette open as well. So with all of those open and starting in firmware download mode I finally started to see some activity from the thumb drive. I didn't see a change in the panel however so after I stopped seeing activity from the thumb drive I turned the machine off and decided to go back and try the UI recovery file once again with doors and cassette open and going into firmware download mode. Finally I saw some major activity on the thumb drive and after some time the panel finally changed the message from FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD MODE Ready to Receive Firmware... to Flashing in progress... PLEASE DO NOT SWITCH OFF. Eventually it said it was complete and it rebooted itself and I finally saw the spinner below the Samsung logo and eventually all the icons and the machine came to ready.

I think changing the filename along with perhaps attempting to load the System Recovery might have been the kicker or perhaps the open doors and cassette. At any rate I wanted to document all of this for others to consider if they have this same issue. Firmware does fix the boot loop issue.

Thank You for providing the firmware in the first place as this was not available from HP.